United game OFF - Official

I've got no time for Dundee United or their supporters. After their little crusade last season, when Levein, Thomson et all did their best to spoil the build up to our UEFA cup final, they can GTF as far as I'm concerned. As long as their preparation for the game isn't too badly effected, I see no reason to call it off. Even then, if the roles were reversed there's a fair chance Rangers would be told to get on with it. We can't afford unnecessary postponements causing us another fixture pile-up and imo that's all this is. Sorry to sound disrespectful, but it's just the way I feel about this.

Its not just about Thompson. Eddie's daughter lost her husband this week so the family must be going through hell.

Football is just a game. People would do well to remember that sometimes. Would such a fuss be kicked up if this didn't concern Rangers?

Football is just a game. People would do well to remember that sometimes. Would such a fuss be kicked up if this didn't concern Rangers?

Calling the game off is what I'd call 'kicking up a fuss'. Give him a minutes silence / applause - It's more than most folk get.

If I had lost a close friend, I doubt I would like to be thrown back into work just days later

Alan, I lost my father back in 1997 and I had to be back at work 3 days later (and I am sure many of us have similar instances). I think that losing one's close family is as tough, probably tougher, than losing a close friend. Yet that is all that us mere mortals get - why should footballers be afforded more ?

And that is the thing - all of a sudden postponement and cancellation of games becomes the "norm" - what happened to simply having the traditional minutes silence ? If we continue on this route then

Granted that two memebrs of the same family have been lost in quick succession but I would doubt that the playing staff or management would have the same interaction with Eddie Thomson's son-in-law.

Difficult for the family ? Absolutely. What I question is how the son-in-law's passing would affect the club ?

This is a complete nonsense and is typical of the sentimentalised world we now live in. Playing the game would indicate no disrespect whatsoever and cancelling it is nothing other than misguided moral claptrap - just more PC bollox from weak-kneed administrators desparate to show their emotional credentials.

Is showing sensitivity at every opportunity really so important? Have we really lost our ability to show respect without tears streaming down our faces? Has society finally turned into one big soap opera? Get on with the game ffs.

PS The only time off I've had for deaths in the family is the day of the funeral, and that was annual leave.

Also, two of the saddest deaths I've personally experienced, were those of two young cats I had. To be honest, I can't imagine anyone feeling as much grief for a colleague as I did for my pets, who were effectively close family members.

However, I think I'd have been ridiculed for wanting to take a week off for the death of a pet. I didn't take a single day off and I didn't wear my trousers a half mast either...

First of all RIP Eddie Thompson - he was a great servant to Dundee Utd - a chairman who put his own cash in and tried to get as far as he can.

I kinda wish they won the cup final last season now for him.

But i dont think this game should have been called off. I think this was a perfect chance for 50,000 people - PLUS RANGERS FC - to show there appreciation. Maybe some people would have stood up and thot RFC were good after this!!!