SFA vows to tackle 'Famine song'

Guest Jum Spence

The depth of offence that can be distilled out of terracing banter these days is staggering. One can only assume that the good Mr Peat has not reached this conclusion on his own. In fact I would all but guarantee it. The song being sung is no more or less offensive in itself than any number of songs or chants heard at football grounds up and down the length of the country. It is only attracting this amount of attention for two reasons�

1. It is being directed at parasitic subculture who are so insecure and bitter that they cannot bear any criticism, howsoever it comes about; and

2. It is being sung by Rangers fans and we all know that Rangers fans have needed to be put in their place for a very long time.

And how ironic to see members of this forum rushing to prop up the victimhood industry by wrapping their arms around a poor 17 year old who, let's face it, made his bed and hardly suffered irreparable damage and untold suffering. Can you see the blood pooling around his feet in the post-match dressing room - no, neither can I. Was he the first football player to be targeted by opposing fans? Will he be the last? So what is the fuss really about ââ?¬â?? oh yes, it is about Oirland. Not our near and much appreciated neighbours across the Irish Sea but the twisted concoction in that exists only in the minds of those who cluster around the diocese and a certain Glasgow football club.

The famine�s over, why don�t you go home. Can you really tell me that those aren�t the most apt and well directed sentiments you have ever heard?

If certain Rangers fans spent less time apologising and cow-towing to the corrupt and one-sided censorship that permeates almost every tranche of our society, perhaps those of us who still have a spine would feel less embarrassed by our endless decline.

Forget the song. There is nothing intrinsically wrong or offensive about the song. This circus has nothing to do with the song and everything to do with the fact that someone is daring to sing it. I�ve never actually sung this song myself but I�ll be damned if I should be denied the right to do so by people in the shadows who are motivated by nothing other than their own deeply sectarian interests.

People like Peat, or Murray for that matter, are being played like a piano.

It IS a rubbish song though.

Even the smug feeling of annoying the plastic paddies has been removed from it now for me. It's a bloody dirge, the joke has passed and we surely have many better songs to sing than that. Of course, the very fact people want to ban it just means it will be sung louder and more often which I'm glad about in some ways.

As for it being directed at McCarthy, well I'm sure this fella has sang worse than that himself. I'm also sure he thought about the criticism he'd receive when rejecting his own country to play for a foreign one.

I doubt very much it upset him. And if it did, so what. He should have just give us the 'V' sign - even if it would have cost him �£500.... ;)

George Peat's intervention is the latest in a long line of those being deliberately targetted, political pressure is being brought to bear.

The Police are being increasingly quoted, it will all stem from Assistant Chief Constable Kevin Smith. I wonder the Procurator Fiscal's attitude to securing a conviction, even if they consider there is a case to answer?

Frankie is correct, the song is a dirge.

The issue is hardly one of choral quality, any more than it matters whether we might claim to be choristers of particular ability. What does matter to all of us is the imposition of contrived censorship for the benefit of an increasingly bitter and manipulative celtic community - and the conivance of authorities who are in danger of bringing the ridiculous into the public life of this country.

The SFA will threaten to deduct points from Rangers in the Clydesdale Bank Premier League this season if the club's fans do not stop singing the now-infamous Famine Song which is regularly besmirching the appearance of Rangers at Ibrox and other SPL grounds.

George Peat, the SFA president, confirmed last night that the song was causing embarrassment for Scottish football and that it ââ?¬Å?had to be stamped outââ?¬Â. Peat went on to say: ââ?¬Å?If the situation doesn't improve then all we could do is threaten to deduct points.ââ?¬Â The Famine Song has caused growing anxiety and discomfort for Rangers. Despite a series of pleas from just about everyone at Ibrox, including Martin Bain, the Rangers chief executive, a section of the club's support has refused to stop singing the song, which derides those of Irish extraction in Scotland and is deemed by many to be racist and offensive.

In a statement issued to Rangers fans last month, Bain urged his club's supporters to ââ?¬Å?refrainââ?¬Â from singing the song, though the plea fell on deaf ears. The Celtic chairman, John Reid, also recently entered the row, describing the song as ââ?¬Å?vile, vicious and racistââ?¬Â. Reid, a former British Home Secretary, has urged Strathclyde Police to take action against the perpetrators.

Following the furore two years ago over The Billy Boys, an anti-Catholic dirge which brought Rangers a fine and severe censure from Uefa, European football's governing body, The Famine Song is now causing the Ibrox club renewed anxiety. On Saturday at New Douglas Park the travelling Rangers support singled out James McCarthy, the Ireland Under-19 international who plays for Hamilton Academical, for abuse.

Related Links

Bigots whose ââ?¬Ë?bileââ?¬â?¢ has embarrassed Rangers

Time for Bain to speak out about chants

Fans urged to stop singing ââ?¬Ë?Famine Songââ?¬â?¢

Peat, asked specifically yesterday about The Famine Song, said that the SFA was looking into the problem and would probably have to consult with the police if Rangers failed to find a solution. Two years ago, following the Uefa investigation of Rangers, an embarrassed SFA was forced to alter its own constitution to provide it with new powers to punish clubs which were found guilty of sectarian or racist abuses. ââ?¬Å?I would hope the situation will improve but if doesn't then the next step will be to arrange a meeting between ourselves, the SPL and the police,ââ?¬Â Peat said of the latest Rangers problem. ââ?¬Å?If things still don't improve then, as I say, all we could do is threaten to deduct points.

ââ?¬Å?At the moment we've left it in the hands of the SPL to look into it and try to eradicate it. We know that clubs have tried hard with this type of thing. But, listening to it again at the weekend, it would appear that there's still some way to go.

ââ?¬Å?Obviously, it's got to be stamped out, and we'll be having a meeting soon with the SPL and the police to see what we can do about it.ââ?¬Â

Rangers can hardly be faulted for trying to find a solution. Martin Bain has twice issued a statement on The Famine Song, in which he pleaded with his club's supporters to stop singing it. Rangers believe that, under current Scottish legislation, their fans could be arrested by police over the chanting. ââ?¬Å?It is the club's view that the interest of our supporters and the club will be best served by supporters refraining from singing The Famine Song,ââ?¬Â Bain said recently. ââ?¬Å?The club is duty-bound to inform supporters they may be subject to arrest, and it is in no one's interest for that to happen.ââ?¬Â

Last month the SPL said that it was also looking into the controversy, even though it now looks as if the SFA will have to wade in.

ââ?¬Å?We introduced rules on unacceptable conduct last season, in line with the laws of the land,ââ?¬Â an SPL spokesman said yesterday. ââ?¬Å?These have helped [bring about] improvement in behaviour at matches and we will continue to work with clubs to this end. Rangers have contacted Strathclyde Police about The Famine Song and we will be in touch with both parties to consider what, if any, action is needed.ââ?¬Â

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/scotland/article5026958.ece