SFA vows to tackle 'Famine song'

Guest Jum Spence

But it happens all the time.

Look at Novo against Plastic Whistle the other week. He received stuff just as bad, much louder and yet nothing was said; not by you, not by anyone.

Where do we draw the line?

My view on the matter has nothing to do with John Reid or Spew Keevins.

I should just realise that the days are long gone when you actually sing songs relating to football at a football game these days but instead single out players to sing at when all they've done is choose to play for another country. WOW!

So we shouldn't give McGeady abuse for it either?

BTW it is related to football. ;)

Look at Novo against Plastic Whistle the other week. He received stuff just as bad, much louder and yet nothing was said; not by you, not by anyone.

I wish I knew.

I just find it pathetic that fans now goto games to hurl abuse at opposition players (Lennon aside of course). ;)

I wish I knew.

I just find it pathetic that fans now goto games to hurl abuse at opposition players (Lennon aside of course). ;)

When has it not happened? It's probably better now than it was in the past. No songs about Celtic player's wifes etc.

To me there's a huge difference between a bit of generalised banter (however puerile it may be) and a song wishing an actual named person would die in his bed - I used to be thick-skinned on this sort of thing. But now an Irish politician has waded in v. the famine song, it's time they were told in no uncertain terms that the Novo situation is much much worse. And as for James McCarthy - well he's a traitor pure and simple.

On the one hand we have an immigrant who came to Scotland to earn a living playing professional football and on the other we have a young Scotsman playing in his homeland fulfilling the same ambition.

The immigrant has had death threats, had to have personal security appointed by the club, his house and car vandalised on more than one occasion, and a ditty about being shot by the IRA sang composed conducted and executed by Celtic fans. This disgusting treatment of an incomer to the ââ?¬Å?best wee country in the worldââ?¬Â shames all decent people.

The Scotsman has had one urine extracting ditty sang on Saturday by Rangers fans that in effect regurgitated the plastic paddy critique of players of the past like Ray Houghton and Tony Cascarino. Is telling in song, a Scotsman to go home, knowing his home is in Scotland by Scottish fans at a game in Scotland, worth mentioning? Well it is if you compare the reaction to both situations.

We have had past and present MPs proclaiming outrage, radio bulletins highlighting the disgraceful treatment of a player, broadsheets and tabloids urging action by the judicial and football authorities and the head of the SFA now declaring that " it's got to be stamped out�

Any fair minded person would draw the conclusion that the above reaction would have been to the treatment of the immigrant to this country. We know that is not the case. Our challenge is what are we going to do about it?

The situation is beyond ridiculous.

No attempt at even-handedness, massive amounts of hypocrisy and a complete one-way street with regards to treatment of fans at clubs in Scotland.

How is there not one sane minded individual employed within the journalism profession who can point out what a disgusting farce this is? :(

No attempt at even-handedness, massive amounts of hypocrisy and a complete one-way street with regards to treatment of fans at clubs in Scotland.

How is there not one sane minded individual employed within the journalism profession who can point out what a disgusting farce this is? :(

There probably is, but he would get sacked for being Rangers sympothiser,racist,biggoted knuckle dragger ;)

Decent point but it shouldn't be a journalist pointing this out (although Traynor already has) but SDM and Martin Bain.

They did a few weeks ago but obviously their point wasn't strong enough.