THE FAMILY of Ian McColl have asked for a minute's applause ahead of the cup tie with Hamilton to celebrate his Rangers career.

McColl, who passed away on Friday aged 81, played 526 matches for Rangers in 15 years from 1946 to 1960.

His funeral will take place at St Paul's Church in Milngavie, outside Glasgow on Thursday at mid-day.

Boss Walter Smith certainly appreciated the impact he made at Ibrox. He said: "Ian was a fantastic stalwart for Rangers as part of the Iron Curtain defence.

"He is someone I can remember coming to watch playing for the club when I was a boy and he later went on to have a successful career in management as well.

"Anyone who goes and plays over 500 games for Rangers has made a significant contribution to the club and Ian was no different."

I believe that a minute's applause is disrespectful and there is nothing that anyone can say that will change my mind.

I'm sorry but I will be paying my respects in the traditional manner, and I can't be disrespectful even at the family's request.

I actually prefer an applause at times, i see it as people are applauding what that person has done in the game. I dont see it being disrespectful at all.

Its not really what happens during that minute - be it applause or silence its the thoughts and the time taken out that is important. Therefore if half the crowd clapped while the other half stayed in silence i dont think there is anything wrong with that.

I prefer a minutes silence but i think it is all about what the family want and not what i want. To be honest BD i think it is disrespectful and a bit selfish of you to put your non-acceptance of a new trend in showing respect before the wishes of the family. It is not about Bluedell it is about the family McColl. Sorry.

one of many things that bugs me about this minutes applause thing is the fact that once its over, there is an even bigger roar! More cheering etc surely that is disrespectful?! Minutes silence for me

Not really. After the silence there is a cheer and roar also.

Not really. After the silence there is a cheer and roar also.

But the cheering and silence contrast each other, emphasising the silence!

Cheering after the designated applause just devaules its effect, reduces its significance. I'd rather cheer for a legend than the start of a football game...

but if i had the choice, a respectful minutes silence to reflect and remember them is the way I'd go.