BIRMINGHAM are weighing up a shock �£2million swoop for Rangers star Kirk Broadfoot.

Former Ibrox boss Alex McLeish is ready to pounce for Scotland defender Broadfoot when the transfer window opens in January. He has now established himself with Gers since quitting St Mirren two years ago.

But the 24-year-old is understood to be unhappy about his current deal which sees him take home �£3,500-a-week basic.

That has alerted Blues boss McLeish who is ready to lure versatile Broadfoot south with a bumper �£10,000-a-week package when the window opens.

Big Eck is desperate for a centre half and believes Broadfoot�s ability and physique make him perfect for the demands of the Championship.

Broadfoot�s contract expires in the summer and Gers boss Walter Smith is desperate to keep hold of the defender � who is enjoying his best form for the club.

Despite arriving at Ibrox as a squad player, he has filled the void left by Alan Huttonâ��s �£9m move to Spurs â�� but there have been no moves by Gers to offer him a new deal.

After winning his first two caps for Scotland against Iceland and Norway, the defender believes he should be brought into line with other top-earners at Ibrox.

But now McLeish is ready to lure Broadfoot � who would prefer to stay at Gers � with a massive wage hike.

Meanwhile, former Ibrox favourite Peter Lovenkrands has pleaded with Rangers to put an end to his Schalke hell.

The Danish hitman sees no future for himself in Germany after being frozen out by new coach Fred Rutten.

The 28-year-old said: ââ?¬Å?There is no future for me at Schalke. Hopefully something will happen in January.

ââ?¬Å?There was a lot of talk about me returning to Rangers last summer.

ââ?¬Å?It didnââ?¬â?¢t happen, but I would love to go back there.

ââ?¬Å?Of course, if the opportunity arose again I would be delighted.ââ?¬Â

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/article1867756.ece

Not captain Kirks biggest fan, however, I do think that over the past few months he has improved and he looks a lot more confident. I think given another season or two he'll be right up there so in that respect I wouldn't want to see him go, but, if we can sign a better RB or at least on with more potential with the money we get from his sale then I'd be happier! Lovenkrands coming back would be good for us IMO I think he would give us that cutting edge that we need, he's got killer pace and can score goals as well but I suppose it depends on the price tag, wouldn't want to pay any more than �£1.5 - �£2 million for him.

The only thing that concerns me is that any time one of our players shows a few months form, he's off and we have to try and fix another position that was previously covered.

Can Whittaker shows his Hibs form when he was putting in Hutton-esque performances? If so would maybe be decent business.

Would prefer to see Kirk stay though.

The only thing that concerns me is that any time one of our players shows a few months form, he's off and we have to try and fix another position that was previously covered.

Can Whittaker shows his Hibs form when he was putting in Hutton-esque performances? If so would maybe be decent business.

Would prefer to see Kirk stay though.

IMO Broadfoot is showing better form at RB than Whittaker ever has. We paid 2 mill for Whittaker and therefore selling Broadfoot for 2 mill doesn't make too much sense to me as we breakeven on fees but end up with a player who doesn't look as comfortable in the position.

Not having a go at Whittaker by any stretch although from what I saw of Whittaker whilst at Hibs (admittedly not a great deal) he was nowhere near Hutton-esque. At RB I felt his positioning was quite poor !

I would prefer to see Broadfoot stay too. He has proven to be quite capable at the position even if it isnt his natural position. However, if we could get a better player for the money received then sure, why not ? That said, would we not be better keeping KB to give him a run as natural partner to Bougherra at CB when Weir retires ?