Unofficial Websites - Pressure on the Press?

Great piece Frankie and difficult to argue with.

Hopefully you get the nod from Sportsound.

To be fair to Richard Gordon he did say that there were a lot of good websites out there and a lot of good information. More than SDM has done.

Richard probably meant the Aberdeen sites though.;)

My opinion of the Press was formed after the Gazza " flute playing incident ". He acted in front of a few hundred supporters for a split second. The Media was full of it for weeks afterwards. It was beamed worldwide no doubt infuriating many thousands as the comments attached to the "slowmo" stated religious bigotry was alive and well in Glasgow, the West of Scotland and indeed the whole of Scotland.

As everyone in football knows, Gazza was well known to be as " daft as a brush " and , I suspect, would probably be unaware of the connatations (?) of his actions.

The Scottish Press, however, saw a great opportunity to enrage the populace by replaying the incident again and again and publishing photographs again.

Therefore, who was responsible for displaying religious bigotry ? The Press or a daft Englishman who probably didn't know any better.

The Press wish to have monoply on all information. They can also have it both ways. One day have one angle on a story, the next have the opposite. As long as it sells papers.

Internet sites are very important especially as everyone has the right to an opinion in our democracy. Unfortunately, journalists such as Graham Speirs, use their priveleges to brainwash those unaware of the facts of the matter by spouting his own tainted thoughts as being factual. Of cource these "facts" are promoted further by likeminded individuals with the same agenda.

( sorry for going on but I got a bit carried away! )

My opinion of the Press was formed after the Gazza " flute playing incident ". He acted in front of a few hundred supporters for a split second. The Media was full of it for weeks afterwards. It was beamed worldwide no doubt infuriating many thousands as the comments attached to the "slowmo" stated religious bigotry was alive and well in Glasgow, the West of Scotland and indeed the whole of Scotland.

As everyone in football knows, Gazza was well known to be as " daft as a brush " and , I suspect, would probably be unaware of the connatations (?) of his actions.

The Scottish Press, however, saw a great opportunity to enrage the populace by replaying the incident again and again and publishing photographs again.

Therefore, who was responsible for displaying religious bigotry ? The Press or a daft Englishman who probably didn't know any better.

The Press wish to have monoply on all information. They can also have it both ways. One day have one angle on a story, the next have the opposite. As long as it sells papers.

Internet sites are very important especially as everyone has the right to an opinion in our democracy. Unfortunately, journalists such as Graham Speirs, use their priveleges to brainwash those unaware of the facts of the matter by spouting his own tainted thoughts as being factual. Of cource these "facts" are promoted further by likeminded individuals with the same agenda.

( sorry for going on but I got a bit carried away! )

I still can't see how playing a flute could be sectarian in any way. Any people offended are by the very definition, sectarian. The flute has no real connection with any religion but some people hate anything that reminds them at all of the OO - who have as many rights to protection against sectarianism as any other religious group.

Although most Celtic fans unbelievably think that inciting hatred against them is actually fully justified and verging on necessary...

How sectarian can you get???

It is quite incredible.

Gascoigne (and later Healy) play the flute as part of some harmless banter with opposition fans. Both are made to apologise and vilified throughout the media for 'inciting sectarian hatred'.

Boruc makes rude hand signals in front of women and children and invites the Copland Road to 'come on'; and he's the innocent victim defended by his club, church and politicians.

Sums up the ridiculous double standards in this country perfectly.