Craig Moore Battles Cancer

by Gordon Thomson

FORMER Rangers captain Craig Moore is battling cancer.

The footballer has had emergency surgery days after being diagnosed with testicular cancer.

Moore, who was born in Canterbury, Australia, has been told to rest for the next fortnight before undergoing more tests. However, the urologist who is treating him said his "outlook is good."

The 32-year-old footballer underwent surgery yesterday just five days after the shock diagnosis was made. Moore has had to withdraw from the Australia team which is due to play Bahrain next week in a World Cup qualifier.

advertisement

Australia coach Pim Verbeek was taken aback by the news and said: "It's always a shock to hear of a diagnosis like this but I am encouraged by the prognosis from the medical practitioner, I speak for the entire team in wishing him a speedy recovery."

Ben Buckley, chief executive of Football Federation Australia, said the player's "legendary toughness" and good fitness would undoubtedly help in his recovery.

The health scare comes after Moore returned from a brief international retirement to play in the Socceroos' victorious World Cup qualifier win over Qatar here last month.

A key member of Australia's 2006 World Cup campaign, the player - due to celebrate his 33rd birthday next month - has been ordered to rest for two weeks and will have further tests in six weeks.

Moore was a product of the Rangers youth system and rose to become club captain. He played for the Old Firm club for 11 years but was stripped of the captaincy four years ago when he decided to play for Aistralia at the Athens Olympics which rforced him to miss the start of the 2004-2005 SPL league campaign.

Manager Alex McLeish kept the Aussie on the fringes of the team before selling him to German side Borussia Monchengladbach in January, 2005, where he played under ex-Rangers boss Dick Advocaat.

But Advocaat was sacked after a short spell in charge and it was another ex-Rangers manager Graeme Souness who resurrectated his career in the UK by bringing him to Newcastle United at a time when Moore had been accused by the German club of turning up for training while drunk - an accusation Moore always denied.

But the player only made nine appearances for the English Premier League side during his 2005-2006 debut season although he did play 21 times during the follow season. But Souness was sacked and replaced by Sam Allardyce in May last year and released Moore weeks later.

Moore returned to Australia to play for Queensland in the A-League.services.

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/news/display.var.2467521.0.0.php

All the best to craig,i remember a game i think it was a european game,after a high jump for the ball,he landed straight down on his head, i thought his neck must have been broken,at least.Thankfully he got up none the worse. Im sure he will come back from this.