Dec 3 2008 By Keith Jackson

RANGERS boss Walter Smith will have to unload as many as SIX top-team players to cobble together enough cash to make a New Year swoop for Portuguese defender Tonel.

Smith is a huge admirer of the 28-year-old centre-half who first caught his eye last season playing against Rangers for Sporting Lisbon on the Ibrox side's march to the UEFA Cup Final in Manchester.

And sources in Lisbon believe Portugal international Pedro Mendes is playing a key role in helping Smith persuade Tonel to set up a new life in Scotland despite interest from Lazio and Panathinaikos.

But before Smith can table a serious offer he will have to carry out the second part of a mass cull ordered by chairman Sir DavidMurray back in August following the humiliating European exit at the hands of Lithuanian minnows Kaunas.

We revealed back then Smith had been told to chop at least half a dozen big earners from his squad.

But although he sold Carlos Cuellar and Daniel Cousin and arranged loan deals for Alan Gow and Andy Webster, Smith used the money he raised to bring in Mendes, Steve Davis, Maurice Edu and Aaron.

Now he has been instructed to make further cuts which means Smith will be open to offers for the likes of Brahim Hemdani, DaMarcus Beasley, Jean-Claude Darcheville, Chris Burke, Christian Dailly, Stevie Smith and possibly Lee McCulloch.

Ironically, McCulloch has recently emerged as a potential defensive option for Smith who believes the ex-striker has all the attributes needed to make a new career as a stopper.

If Smith cannot get enough cash together to go for Tonel he is likely to hold on to McCulloch even though Premiership outfit Stoke remain serious about taking the 30-year-old south in January.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/2008/12/03/exclusive-rangers-may-need-to-dump-six-stars-to-land-january-transfer-target-tonel-86908-20942301/

But although he sold Carlos Cuellar and Daniel Cousin and arranged loan deals for Alan Gow and Andy Webster, Smith used the money he raised to bring in Mendes, Steve Davis, Maurice Edu and Aaron.

Now he has been instructed to make further cuts which means Smith will be open to offers for the likes of Brahim Hemdani, DaMarcus Beasley, Jean-Claude Darcheville, Chris Burke, Christian Dailly, Stevie Smith and possibly Lee McCulloch.

If Webster and Gow could be moved on permanently also it would help, Gow obviously wont get near the team and Webster is about as fit as a Daniel Prodan ever was.

Out of the list of players in the 2nd paragraph, only Beasley and S Smith would be the ones id like to stay. im sure we are all hoping for S Smith to get fit. Beasley for me still has something to offer.

Hemdani is a quality player and someone will get a good deal there, but it makes sense to get him off the wage bill if he isnt to play.

We've been trying to get rid of JCD and Hemdani for quite a while, so I'm not sure why anyone thinks we will be able to get rid of them in the January transfer window. They seem quite happy to sit and collect their great wages here and play if called upon.

I would assume it's the same with Dailly. What incentive does he have to move? He's coming to the end of his career and will be happy to collect a wage.

I doubt that we can give Webster away due his injury problems. Gow seems relucant to move to further his career which is strange, so he may stay as well.

Will Burke get anyone to offer him the wages that he is reputedly on with us? That may require some sort of pay-off, and who will want him anyway?

Stevie Smith has yet to prove his long term fitness and may also be a struggle to move.

Beasley and McCulloch may be more sellable, but McCulloch again may be reluctant to move for personal reasons as he sems to be settled here.

All in all, not looking too good.

You've just put a fair dampener on things there BD :eek::D

But knowing our luck it will be Bougherra who makes way!

If someone comes in with a 5million+ bid for McGregor then we should take it

if we get a �£5m bid for anyone we will take it no doubt about it m8........

So... let me get this straight......

"Now he has been instructed to make further cuts which means Smith will be open to offers for the likes of Brahim Hemdani, DaMarcus Beasley, Jean-Claude Darcheville, Chris Burke, Christian Dailly, Stevie Smith and possibly Lee McCulloch."

We are willing to let any one, or number of, 5 midfielders, one striker and a left back go in order to get a centre half - when we already are using 4 centre halves across the back line ?? This is RIDICULOUS.

Let me caveat by saying I think Papac and Broadfoot are doing a decent job but why would we not try to sign a proper RB and play Broadfoot in beside Bougherra ?

WS - USE THE PLAYERS YOU HAVE IN THEIR PREFERRED POSITIONS AND THEN FILL IN THE GAPS, AGAIN WITH PLAYERS IN THEIR PREFERRED POSITION.

This is incredible - it really is !

We are willing to let any one, or number of, 5 midfielders, one striker and a left back go in order to get a centre half - when we already are using 4 centre halves across the back line ??

that about sums it up. madness abounds!

So... let me get this straight......

"Now he has been instructed to make further cuts which means Smith will be open to offers for the likes of Brahim Hemdani, DaMarcus Beasley, Jean-Claude Darcheville, Chris Burke, Christian Dailly, Stevie Smith and possibly Lee McCulloch."

We are willing to let any one, or number of, 5 midfielders, one striker and a left back go in order to get a centre half - when we already are using 4 centre halves across the back line ?? This is RIDICULOUS.

Let me caveat by saying I think Papac and Broadfoot are doing a decent job but why would we not try to sign a proper RB and play Broadfoot in beside Bougherra ?

WS - USE THE PLAYERS YOU HAVE IN THEIR PREFERRED POSITIONS AND THEN FILL IN THE GAPS, AGAIN WITH PLAYERS IN THEIR PREFERRED POSITION.

This is incredible - it really is !

Think you're spot on there Craig. Broadfoot, despite his detractors who should know better, would probably benefit from being played in his true position. If Steve Smith is really never to recover, then I would look at Easton from Hamilton, or maybe Lee Wallace. The guy Tonel may be decent but at 28 is hardly one for the future (or is WS hoping we can do another Carlos here?).

Actually, after last Saturday I was thinking who we would consider automatic choices for the first team as the squad stands at present. I came up with:

McGregor, Bougherra, Mendes, Davis, Thomson, Boyd and Miller. That leaves 2 full backs, a centre back and a left midfielder. Everyone else should be available at the right price. I'm a Fergie fan but don't think he can play with Mendes, yet remember how we were all salivating to see how they would team up?

I am trying to stay positive but sad to say i think we are now seeing a reprise of Walter's time at Everton, not his glory years of 9IAR.