I'm saying that they may not know what to sing, not because they are bad fans its just that for many this is all they know. If you ask most fans to name the 5 most sung songs it would probably be something like,

1. Hullo Hullo,

2. Follow, Follow

3. No Surrender

4. Build My Gallows

5. The Sash

or maybe a couple of others like Bouncy bouncy and We are Rangers

and although Follow Follow is traditionally a non sectarian song many don't know the correct words so apart from Bouncy Bouncy and maybe We are Rangers the rest are now band and large sections will not know what else to sing.

No, the only one that is banned is The Billy Boys.....

Cammy F

I think that's just the one focused on. They could bring us up for

"We hate Celtic, FENIAN bastards". But we could easily sing "We hate Celtic, they are bastards".

And then there's "F*** the pope and the Vatican" which really should be "even up to Aberdeen".

And then there's No pope of rome which should probably be banned too.

I do think we're a bunch of hypocrites slagging Celtic off for being plastic paddies and then singing "Build my gallows". And doesn't singing the sash make us plastic masons?

It's no wonder Ibrox is supposed to be a morgue when we have so few real Rangers songs and catchy ones at that. The quiet fans are probably the ones who care about Rangers but not much about Ireland, the pope, fenians, the queen or the OO. And the longer we sing the non Rangers songs the less likely the quiet fans will sing even if we start to sing Rangers songs again as they'll be used to watching the game as a passive experience.

The sash has absolutely nothing to do with masonry, which is a secret society for members of all religions (and, indeed, non-religions).

Depends on which order you are a member of Barry, but for the most part you are indeed correct - although the sash (the clothing, not the song) is very much synonymous with the various masonic orders. Often masonic orders are deemed to be "anti-Catholic" or similar and it is most definitely a false accusation - we have a member, actually a past master, of our lodge who is Catholic and his local church actually "dis-owned" him for being a mason.

Anyway, another topic for another thread - sorry for the tangent

I think I have edited this about 5 times !!!

Good, then we can lay the plastic masonry thing to rest. As for it making the singers of it "plastic orangemen", then possibly. But an orangemen is something you can be, with legitimate cause, in Scotland. There are a great deal of Scottish orangemen who are good Christians and not at all interested in bigotry.

Its doubtful, though, whether they would be interested in singing the sash - but there's nothing inherently wrong with it.

As for the comment on the masons, that is typical reactionary catholicism in scotland. I know that there are a great deal of catholics in european countries who are masons and this is true right through the ages.

Quite typical of scotland to be a microcosm of all the bad in these organisations.

So why don't the club get to work and dish out new song sheets before games and play songs over the tannoy to go with the lyrics and stuff. Have the songs for download from the website and stuff. I know its going to cost some cash and take a while, but surely the club has to start doing something positive about this rather than just moaning about the problem.

So why don't the club get to work and dish out new song sheets before games and play songs over the tannoy to go with the lyrics and stuff. Have the songs for download from the website and stuff. I know its going to cost some cash and take a while, but surely the club has to start doing something positive about this rather than just moaning about the problem.

good point. but i think the ultimate responsibility lies with the fans. we're responsible for our own keep, as it were.

and thanks craig - its good to be back. :)

Totally agree its with the fans to stop, but you know the argument will be that "we don't know what else to sing". I just think the club should be helping out and doing something proactive instead of just warning fans to cut out the bad singing. Give us an alternative then Mr Murray, you know its not going to be easy to stop certain sections, so we need all the help we can get.