FFS Frankie, stop this.

This isn't a competition for composers. It's not about how to change the song beyond recognition and achieve nothing at all. It's about putting our balls back between our legs (ladies excepted) and climbing over the barricade of bullshit that has been built around us in so many ways these last few years. If we are going to suck in air and shake our heads every time someone starts to challenge these lies, how are we ever going to reverse the tide. Stop being so afraid - and stop taking refuge in endless analysis.

Not afraid at all. :D

I did say I was reluctant to give further ground. I'm also more than happy to back any campaign to bring the song back. In fact, I tried to get the Trust board to do the same 18 months ago to no avail.

There is a difference between being gung ho and examining the full picture to ensure success.

It is interesting as TBO have, this season, already sang the first part of your proposed lyrics (we are the people who sing of victory) and have ended it with Edu, Edu..... No one batted an eyelid.

As Frankie says, rightly or wrongly, singing that we are up to our knees in anyones blood leaves us open to be lambasted by those who strive to demonise us.

I do agree that the issue of the tune, along with revised lyrics needs clarified once and for all. The club need to clarify this.

Cammy F

The song in the article I posted is NOT the proposed alternative. It is a long-standing Rangers song that was put forward to test the club's position, sharing as it does some common lyrics.

Also as you can see from the article, the club is not interested in clarifying anything. There will be on clarification - start from there.

The song in the article I posted is NOT the proposed alternative. It is a long-standing Rangers song that was put forward to test the club's position, sharing as it does some common lyrics.

Also as you can see from the article, the club is not interested in clarifying anything. There will be on clarification - start from there.

I know, I said this in my original post - it's the lyrics that I've always sung to The Billy Boys - call me a traditionalist. Would love to see this traditional Rangers song back at Ibrox and on our travels. Just can't see it happening, too many fans will revert to TBB's.

Cammy F

Not afraid at all. :D

I did say I was reluctant to give further ground. I'm also more than happy to back any campaign to bring the song back. In fact, I tried to get the Trust board to do the same 18 months ago to no avail.

There is a difference between being gung ho and examining the full picture to ensure success.

You know as well as I do that there are no guarantees in this or anything else we do. You probably also know that no one involved is interested in being gung ho about this. In the end, however, it is a value judgement.

I'm glad, but not surprised, you feel the way you do about this. It is very important though, not to dwell only on possible negative outcomes - that's the recipe for ensuring nothing ever happens.

You know as well as I do that there are no guarantees in this or anything else we do. You probably also know that no one involved is interested in being gung ho about this. In the end, however, it is a value judgement.

I'm glad, but not surprised, you feel the way you do about this. It is very important though, not to dwell only on possible negative outcomes - that's the recipe for ensuring nothing ever happens.

Of course. So what strategy do you suggest to move forward?

It's all fine and well to say that, but do you think that bringing back the TBB (in whatever form) will help us win the SPL title this season, or is it possible that it could somehow cause us to loose it? Just wondering, since I'm really not sure on that one.

The weird thing is that I believe that the "We're up to the knees in Celtic blood" is MORE offensive than the original.

It's about fans and players who are here today, and not some semi-mythical 1920's Glasgow razor gang.

I'd agree with MF and see if we can bring it back in some shape or form.

My personal preference would be that it isn't about Celtic as I don't want them associated with "our" song, and I'd prefer that it was something a bit more generic such as "rebel blood".

Of course. So what strategy do you suggest to move forward?

The one I'm following, although I won't pretend to claim it as my own.

Engage with other fans/websites, raise awareness, spread the message, provide information, solicit opinion, take a view on the words, sing the song.

Without leadership or a focal point for supporters, what else can any of us do? It's just one more issue that reminds me how much we've been let down by the internal poilitcking at the RST. The only alternative is to talk and do nothing.

The reason for posting the OP was to try to gauge whether sharing some information would result in positive support.

It's all fine and well to say that, but do you think that bringing back the TBB (in whatever form) will help us win the SPL title this season, or is it possible that it could somehow cause us to loose it? Just wondering, since I'm really not sure on that one.

It certainly wouldn't cause us to lose it...

In fact, given I'm sure many fans would enjoy singing a new version, it may help improve the atmosphere during games and help address the overall negativity surrounding the club. That would only affect the team in a positive sense.

The weird thing is that I believe that the "We're up to the knees in Celtic blood" is MORE offensive than the original.

It's about fans and players who are here today, and not some semi-mythical 1920's Glasgow razor gang.

I'd agree with MF and see if we can bring it back in some shape or form.

My personal preference would be that it isn't about Celtic as I don't want them associated with "our" song, and I'd prefer that it was something a bit more generic such as "rebel blood".

Thanks, I think you make an excellent point here.