Wanted: wealthy buyer to re-invigorate Rangers

Graham Spiers

A media rumour momentarily did the rounds last week that Sir David Murray had at last found a buyer for Rangers. In fact, it turned out to be one of those ten-a-penny yarns which intermittently have journalists scuryying to cover themselves, before discovering that the story is baloney. Murray himself, however, continues to agitate to sell his 90 per cent Rangers stake.

My take on the Murray and Rangers situation was further intrigued by a recent, odd phone-call and subsequent meeting I had with a Scotland-based businessman and entrepreneur who, of all things, wanted to pick my brain about Paris Saint-Germain.

"Did you say Paris Saint-Germain?" I said on the phone to him a mite incredulously. "Why the heck d'you think I can help you there?" It transpired that there was a Paul Le Guen connection, and that this bloke had read my book about Le Guen and noted my visits to Paris in 2007, and was advising a group who were potential investors in the Parisian club.

We met and chatted about Le Guen and PSG, but what most interested me was his take on Murray and the Rangers situation. I had always believed that the current recession mitigated against Murray's fervent wish to somehow get his hands on the �£50m to �£60m required to relieve him of his Rangers shares, but this particular football economist thought otherwise.

"The recession doesn't necessarily mean that potential buyers of Rangers are off the market," he said. "With the worldwide economy shrinking at the moment, if someone has the money and wants to get into Rangers, he is as well putting his money there as anywhere else right now." In fact, he argued to me, any potential Rangers investor's shares, which would be bought on the cheap, would only grow in value, much as Fergus McCann's did at Celtic.

Will Murray have sold Rangers by this time next year? It is tantalising to think that he might have done, and intriguing to wonder about to whom. Some Rangers fans are of the view that the club needs another Graeme Souness-style revolution of 1986, whereby Rangers, under a new owner, will be catapulted into a fresh, re-invigorating chapter. Certainly, when the club announces, as it did a month ago, that it needed to sell its main scoring asset in order to ease its financial health, you know things at Ibrox are pretty dire.

Various clubs in England - Chelsea, Manchester United, Aston Villa and Manchester City to name a few - have been invaded by foreign investors, and some of us are still waiting to see if Rangers can entice a similar offer. There would be mixed blessings in such a deal, and David Murray has made it plain that he would prefer a British takeover at Ibrox.

Murray, nonetheless, will baulk at the thought that, a year from now, in 2010, he will still be holding the Ibrox reins. He wants out, Rangers need change, and the Rangers fan out there with the money to facilitate the deal needs to be found sooner rather than later. If this particular man is in North America or Canada, and has the wherewithal to do it, would he please step forward soon. He is guaranteed a warm Glasgow welcome.

http://timesonline.typepad.com/thegame/2009/02/rangers-hope-to.html

My take on the Murray and Rangers situation was further intrigued by a recent, odd phone-call and subsequent meeting I had with a Scotland-based businessman and entrepreneur who, of all things, wanted to pick my brain about Paris Saint-Germain.

"Did you say Paris Saint-Germain?" I said on the phone to him a mite incredulously. "Why the heck d'you think I can help you there?" It transpired that there was a Paul Le Guen connection, and that this bloke had read my book about Le Guen and noted my visits to Paris in 2007, and was advising a group who were potential investors in the Parisian club.

Best laugh i've had in a while. :D

Look at me everyone, look at me! I'm still important! Look, look! Hello?!? :wanker:

All dreamed up in the fetid mind of sad, sad Graham Spiers.

What a peripheral figure he now cuts, scraping out an existence from the bottom of the footballing barrel, desperate to show some worth in it all. A career wasted on ego.

Or as they say in these parts, what a tosser.

It's another verse in the Spiers anthem -------------- 'Fantasy'.

Odd phone call from mystery bloke leads to an urgent meeting, and concludes with Spiers happily on his knees, gagging on a surprising tumescence. He will have been indulging in a post-coital hug of Toto as he tapped that pish out.

It's another verse in the Spiers anthem -------------- 'Fantasy'.

Odd phone call from mystery bloke leads to an urgent meeting, and concludes with Spiers happily on his knees, gagging on a surprising tumescence. He will have been indulging in a post-coital hug of Toto as he tapped that pish out.

Post-coital hug of Toto.:D:D:D

FUCK! SOMEBODY BOUGHT AND READ SPEIRS BOOK!

I would though love to know how many copies he actualy sold.

my guess is not very many!

The story is probably made up, so it doesn't prove that he has managed to sell any copies.