Rangers V Motherwell ââ?¬â?? Match Report & Players Ratings

Going into today’s game against Motherwell with 9 first team regulars missing through injury or suspension, the first test of the day was going to be trying to 2nd guess Walter Smith whilst deliberating our starting 11. Some of us were predicting and hoping for a return for Stevie Smith, but I don’t think any of us would have guessed at his return being at left midfield! There was the surprise inclusion of Andreas Velicka who partnered Kris Boyd in the Rangers attack. The inclusion of the Lithuanian suggests that Walter Smith will use him to spearhead our attack in the coming weeks given that we visit Easter Road next week, then entertain Celtc after the split. I can see Walter Smith revert to a 4-5-1 for those games.

We were given a huge incentive prior to kick-off with Hearts holding The Mopes at Tynecastle in what was a very entertaining game. Given our record of failing to capitalise on their slip-ups, I was expecting a nervous start to the game. However, once again, Rangers came flying out the traps and were 1-0 up inside 2 minutes. A superb Stevie Smith cross caused havoc in the visitors area and a slack back-pass allowed Valicka to prob home from close range. If this goal was scrappy, Kris Boyd’s was straight out the top drawer as he rifled an unstoppable shot high into the Motherwell net. So, 10 minutes gone and we are on easy street, playing some wonderful football and looking like giving Motherwell a going over. John Sutton had something to say about that, and got Motherwell back into the game with a goal to rival Boyd’s.

A sense of dÃ?©jÃ?  vu spread around the stands at Ibrox and as Motherwell grew in confidence gotten from Sutton’s strike and a nervousness crept into Rangers play. Thankfully we held out to half-time without losing another goal. We started the 2nd half with a renewed purpose and regained control and began creating chances again. We were able to impose of passing game and were awarded a penalty when Mendes was upended in the area. Kris Boyd stepped forward to kill of Motherwell’s challenge with his 98th (or is it 99th?) Rangers goal. Once the penalty was converted, we never looked back and could and should have added to our tally. In the best move of the match, Smith and the very impressive Whittakar combined brilliantly down the left with the later cutting into the box and firing an angled drive of the bar.

All in all, a very crucial victory and a decent overall performance given the injury problems we currently face, but we did appear to lose our way for a period of time after going 2-0 up, not for the first time this week. Thankfully, we were able to readdress this and ran out comfortable winners. Whilst questions will be asked regarding team selection, formation and tactics, there were very few negative performances with worryingly, only Steven Davis (once again) displaying a substandard performance. Valicka and Smith did well considering they have had very few opportunities and little playing time. Both tired and were rightly substituted. The back four were again impressive and there was little they could have done to stop Sutton’s wonder strike. The midfield performed well with Edu once again showing that he can make an impact for us this season. When we are playing our free-flowing football, Pedro Mendes looks a class player. He links brilliantly when we are flowing, using intelligent flicks and first time passes to ensure that possession is kept and that the moves continue to move forward. However, when we drop of the pace, he looks ordinary as the flicks inevitably fail to find a Rangers player. Up front, Kris Boyd had one of his best games in a Rangers jersey and when we get players in and around Boyd, he is a completely different player and we are able to utilise his strengths. When he gets isolated, the opposite happens. So we go into the last game pre-split trailing Celtc by a solitary point and the destination of the SPL title is in our own hands.

Ratings

Alexander – little to do and had no chance with Suttons shot – 6/10

Dailly – a fine game at right back both defensively and offensively – 7/10

Weir – solid game from the veteran Captain – 7/10

Boogie – as above – 7/10

SW – MOTM for me, had a brilliant game both defensively and offensively and linked up well with Smith– 8.5/10

Davis – another substandard performance from Davis, not as anonymous as previous games, but still not good enough – 4/10

Edu – built on his recent performances and is grasping his opportunity with both hands – 7/10

Mendes – everything that was good in our performance came through Mendes – 7/10

Smith – surprise inclusion in left-midfield and put in a decent shift considering lack of chances – 6/10

Valicka – another surprise inclusion and IMO his recent inclusions point to him leading the attack in a 4-5-1 in coming games – on the score-sheet but little else – 5/10

Boyd – as I said above, one of Boyds best all round performances in a Rangers jersey. Took his first goal brilliantly and stuck away the crucial penalty superbly and closing in on 100 Rangers goals – 8/10

Nacho Novo – a replacement for Valicka and did well when introduced – 5/10

Naismith – replaced the tiring Smith and had little opportunity to impress in the 15 minutes offered to him – 5/10

Cammy F - :rfc:

Can I point out that Eck experimented with Stevie Smith at left midfield with less than disappointing results - and that was with Charlie Adam at left back! So I can't see how a reprise in that role is much of a surprise to anyone.

I must be one of the few people who believe that professional footballers can be competent in more than one out of eleven positions...

Going into today�s game against Motherwell with 9 first team regulars missing through injury or suspension, the first test of the day was going to be trying to 2nd guess Walter Smith whilst deliberating our starting 11. Some of us were predicting and hoping for a return for Stevie Smith, but I don�t think any of us would have guessed at his return being at left midfield! There was the surprise inclusion of Andreas Velicka who partnered Kris Boyd in the Rangers attack. The inclusion of the Lithuanian suggests that Walter Smith will use him to spearhead our attack in the coming weeks given that we visit Easter Road next week, then entertain Celtc after the split. I can see Walter Smith revert to a 4-5-1 for those games.

We were given a huge incentive prior to kick-off with Hearts holding The Mopes at Tynecastle in what was a very entertaining game. Given our record of failing to capitalise on their slip-ups, I was expecting a nervous start to the game. However, once again, Rangers came flying out the traps and were 1-0 up inside 2 minutes. A superb Stevie Smith cross caused havoc in the visitors area and a slack back-pass allowed Valicka to prob home from close range. If this goal was scrappy, Kris Boyd�s was straight out the top drawer as he rifled an unstoppable shot high into the Motherwell net. So, 10 minutes gone and we are on easy street, playing some wonderful football and looking like giving Motherwell a going over. John Sutton had something to say about that, and got Motherwell back into the game with a goal to rival Boyd�s.

A sense of d�©j�  vu spread around the stands at Ibrox and as Motherwell grew in confidence gotten from Suttonâ��s strike and a nervousness crept into Rangers play. Thankfully we held out to half-time without losing another goal. We started the 2nd half with a renewed purpose and regained control and began creating chances again. We were able to impose of passing game and were awarded a penalty when Mendes was upended in the area. Kris Boyd stepped forward to kill of Motherwellâ��s challenge with his 98th (or is it 99th?) Rangers goal. Once the penalty was converted, we never looked back and could and should have added to our tally. In the best move of the match, Smith and the very impressive Whittakar combined brilliantly down the left with the later cutting into the box and firing an angled drive of the bar.

All in all, a very crucial victory and a decent overall performance given the injury problems we currently face, but we did appear to lose our way for a period of time after going 2-0 up, not for the first time this week. Thankfully, we were able to readdress this and ran out comfortable winners. Whilst questions will be asked regarding team selection, formation and tactics, there were very few negative performances with worryingly, only Steven Davis (once again) displaying a substandard performance. Valicka and Smith did well considering they have had very few opportunities and little playing time. Both tired and were rightly substituted. The back four were again impressive and there was little they could have done to stop Sutton�s wonder strike. The midfield performed well with Edu once again showing that he can make an impact for us this season. When we are playing our free-flowing football, Pedro Mendes looks a class player. He links brilliantly when we are flowing, using intelligent flicks and first time passes to ensure that possession is kept and that the moves continue to move forward. However, when we drop of the pace, he looks ordinary as the flicks inevitably fail to find a Rangers player. Up front, Kris Boyd had one of his best games in a Rangers jersey and when we get players in and around Boyd, he is a completely different player and we are able to utilise his strengths. When he gets isolated, the opposite happens. So we go into the last game pre-split trailing Celtc by a solitary point and the destination of the SPL title is in our own hands.

Ratings

Alexander ââ?¬â?? little to do and had no chance with Suttons shot ââ?¬â?? 6/10

Dailly ââ?¬â?? a fine game at right back both defensively and offensively ââ?¬â?? 7/10

Weir ââ?¬â?? solid game from the veteran Captain ââ?¬â?? 7/10

Boogie ââ?¬â?? as above ââ?¬â?? 7/10

SW ââ?¬â?? MOTM for me, had a brilliant game both defensively and offensively and linked up well with Smithââ?¬â?? 8.5/10

Davis ââ?¬â?? another substandard performance from Davis, not as anonymous as previous games, but still not good enough ââ?¬â?? 4/10

Edu ââ?¬â?? built on his recent performances and is grasping his opportunity with both hands ââ?¬â?? 7/10

Mendes ââ?¬â?? everything that was good in our performance came through Mendes ââ?¬â?? 7/10

Smith ââ?¬â?? surprise inclusion in left-midfield and put in a decent shift considering lack of chances ââ?¬â?? 6/10

Valicka ââ?¬â?? another surprise inclusion and IMO his recent inclusions point to him leading the attack in a 4-5-1 in coming games ââ?¬â?? on the score-sheet but little else ââ?¬â?? 5/10

Boyd ââ?¬â?? as I said above, one of Boyds best all round performances in a Rangers jersey. Took his first goal brilliantly and stuck away the crucial penalty superbly and closing in on 100 Rangers goals ââ?¬â?? 8/10

Nacho Novo ââ?¬â?? a replacement for Valicka and did well when introduced ââ?¬â?? 5/10

Naismith ââ?¬â?? replaced the tiring Smith and had little opportunity to impress in the 15 minutes offered to him ââ?¬â?? 5/10

Cammy F - :rfc:

Excellent Cammy was wanting to read that as i missed the game today. :thup:

Can I point out that Eck experimented with Stevie Smith at left midfield with less than disappointing results - and that was with Charlie Adam at left back! So I can't see how a reprise in that role is much of a surprise to anyone.

I must be one of the few people who believe that professional footballers can be competent in more than one out of eleven positions...

Smith can play either calscot. He played left midfield a few times under Eck and really looked the part.

I was very impressed with this boy against motherwell. given the time he has been out he looked very comfortable on the ball.

dont forget he was a better prospect than Hutton when he first came through and was on the verge of breaking into the Scotland team too.

It will be an absolute travesty in monumental proportions if he is allowed to leave Ibrox this summer.

Hmmmmmmmmmm, weird! I thought todays performance was average and I personally think that you've been way to generous with your ratings Cammy.

Giving players 8.5 out of ten is a rating you'd give to Arsenal players after a win against an EPL side not to a player who was part of a team who played poorly against a mid table SPL side.

My ratings would be......

Alexander - 6

Dailly - 6 (decent enough but should never have played)

Whittaker - 7 (MOTM for me. Unlucky with his shot that hit the bar)

Boogie - 6 (usual steady performance)

Weir - 5 (his passing is diabolical. Why he is constantly given the ball to punt out the park for a throw in is beyond me.)

Davis - 5 (poor again).

Mendes - 7 (made some tidy passes)

Edu - 6 (average performance.)

Smith - 5 (Had no desire to get forward)

Boyd - 7. Terrific first goal but still needs to learn to control a ball.

Velicka - 5. Scored but done very little else.

Another point from yesterdays performance was how mobile and agile Christain Dailly is. A real professional who has obviously looked after himself and who is an example for all young players at our club.

Take away an personal feelings about whether he should or shouldn't play, he had a great game yesterday (added to a decent performance on Wednesday evening) and if he keeps this level of performance up, he could remain our right back for the rest of the season.

let's remember that he was bought as a 'squad player' which means he fills in when we have injuries and suspensions - exactly what he is doing at the moment and doing it with some aplomb.

If we are looking for players who perhaps shouldn'e be playing due to substandard performances, maybe we should be concentrating on Steven Davis rather than Christain Dailly.

Cammy F

Well, I didn't read anyone saying that Smith should be prefered in the wide left role instead of Fleck or Aaron in any of the match previews this season :whistle::)

Yes, players can play in different positions and IMO everyone believed that is SS was to be brought back into the team, it would have been at left back.

However, again IMO, Walter Smith was very clever here. Instead of playing SS at left back after such a long lay off he played him in midfield with a SW behind him thus taking some of the pressure off the returning SS.

Cammy F

Based on yesterday's performance, there's no reason why Christian Dailly shouldn't be in as cover at RB.

I thought Smith did very well at left midfield, and well worth another shot. Gave some bite that the likes of Fleck don't, although was lucky not to get booked. Given the problems we have had in this position, it's a wonder why he hasn't been tried before this.