Rangers FC Agree to 'Setting the Standard' Debate

No prizes for guessing....

Murray will always be comfortable while the support is so divided.

Hadn't really thought about it in that context until I'd seen it written down by Frankie (and you can't really argue with the point he makes). Quite sad when you look at it that way. :(

Good points above from everybody (well, nearly everybody :D).

As Martin Bain implied in his response, it's not like some or most of the proposals in the report are like shots of lightening, suddenly appearing for the first time and that nobody has ever considered them before. We know Rangers think about marketing, youth policy, how to engage with supporters etc etc - its simply that the people addressing the individual issues feel these things could be executed better and are offering ideas.

The very fact that this has been read inside Ibrox is great imo. And the fact that the club has agreed to discuss/debate it amongst fans groups is great too. It's now up to those who will be present to do their utmost to ensure that something tangible happens as a result. Even if that only means Rangers agreeing to work with a small group on prioritised topics to see how they can be taken forward.

That's what I'd be asking for - an agreement to work together openly on prioritised topics. In my opinion it would be difficut for the club to say no to that (but the context must be there, as must goodwill on all sides and from within all sides). Yes, if you were being cynical you'd say there is a risk they could go through the motions and deliver nothing, but we cross that bridge when we come to it.

At the end of the day this assertion obviously holds true; the collective talent, resources, energy and imagination at the disposal of the Rangers support is greater than the equivalent of those currently employed by the club in each area. It just stands to reason. If Rangers could just find a way of tapping into it, there'd be no stopping us.

Edited by Big Spliff

maineflyer, it's actually united a dispirate group of rangers fans to work on issues together. it builds momentum by getting the sort of fan collaboration you need for any sort of lasting change, and makes the fans realise that they can have a larger say if they work together. it must be great up there on your high horse, but what you say is irrelevant, because there's no reason to listen to you. you speak for yourself, and you're far too easy to ignore way out there on the "i'm defined by what i hate" fringe. instead of contributing to the project with your views, you ignore it, wait until it's finished, and then slate it. and then wonder why the rangers fans wont unite behind your understanding of the problem. no-one here was back slapping beyond taking a reasonable amount of encouragement from working together - the very thing you'll need unless you plan on mounting a silver steed, storming ibrox and ousting the evil dictator by yourself. n_c said it - while the fans are divided, there's no hope. but every step short of complete unity isn't failure, and if you are not pleased with the lack of murray-hate in the document you should at least be trying to appropriate the sense of collaboration for your own ends. telling other fans their achievements are shit is just playing right into murray's evil divide and conquer plans, effectively making you one of his cohorts.

the only positive claim you've made on this site is that reclaim rangers are a serious outfit..... while we're talking deluded....

Edited by bmck

My frustration is with the backslapping sense of achievement between members of this forum, when nothing has been or will be changed by this approach.

I think whilst some members have congratulated the contributors for writing, collating and delivering the report (and for that they should be commended as you have yourself alluded to) there has not been congratulations yet of any achievements or goals being met. There is also a healthy dose of cynicism of the boards reaction to this, borne out of previous experience of the boards actions.

I think you're perhaps misreading people who have congratulated the contributors for their work (mostly directed at Frankie as the project leader). I believe everyone is aware that nothing has yet been achieved, nor may it be and that the hard work is still to come.

I am sure you are aware that the vast majority of Rangers fans are not dedicated users of message boards. If we are ever to have any impact upon the running of the club we need to try and mobilise the "ignorant" (sic) masses. Projects like STS can help achieve that and as Cal points out, even if all this does is help to raise awareness amongst the support and perhaps even increase unity then it has been a worthwhile venture.

But I think my original post was deliberately misunderstood. I've no problem with the effort that went into compilation of the report or many of the points made. My frustration is with the backslapping sense of achievement between members of this forum, when nothing has been or will be changed by this approach. By all means feel good about what you've done but when people like Calscot say

I think it will at minimum, raise a few eyebrows on the Ibrox board.

then it's clear you're drowning in smuggery and deluded beyond hope. Murray might raise an eyebrow in continued amusement at your feeble efforts but if you think he will be impressed at anything other than his own security then you need therapy.

Good try but no cigar.

mf - you are depressing.

Here's the extent of the back slapping (which if coming across as smug is certainly not my intenetion); people wrote stuff; it got put into a nice report and sent to RFC; Martin Bain read it and acknowledged it publicly; Rangers have agreed to meet with supporters groups to discuss it. You clearly think that amounts to nothing - I think it amounts to a small something.

What's the point in standing on the sidelines pissing on it all? What else have you got to contribute?

What's with the new "drive by shooting" style of posting anyway?

Looks like attention seeking to me.

Appear from nowhere, write something disparaging and disappear over the horizon. Probably backslapping yourslef thinking you've stirred up a hornets nest.

Would've thought you'd be too old for such childish games.

Also adds credence to the numerous suggestions that you have nothing constructive to add.

Watch the fence doesn't do permanent damage Norris.:) I know that you know exactly what will happen to the STS report. It's got no chance.

But I think my original post was deliberately misunderstood. I've no problem with the effort that went into compilation of the report or many of the points made. My frustration is with the backslapping sense of achievement between members of this forum, when nothing has been or will be changed by this approach. By all means feel good about what you've done but when people like Calscot say

then it's clear you're drowning in smuggery and deluded beyond hope. Murray might raise an eyebrow in continued amusement at your feeble efforts but if you think he will be impressed at anything other than his own security then you need therapy.

Good try but no cigar.

You don't have a problem with the effort but you then go onto describe it as 'feeble'... :confused:

There is also no 'back-slapping' going on. Some hope and positivity but nothing else.

Good try but no cigar indeed... :fish:

Watch the fence doesn't do permanent damage Norris.:) I know that you know exactly what will happen to the STS report. It's got no chance.

Good try but no cigar.

I think ironically, I think this post shows why the STS approach is the most productive.

I've taken a more in your face style of criticism of MF in the past and he will now never see any good in anything I say. Why would Murray be any different to those who give him "in your face" criticism?

I think we should ask ourselves about when was the last time a group of Rangers fans had their viewpoints so respectfully received by the board?

The "We deserve better" campaign was worthy but how was it received?

The STS report has already had a measurable positive impact and it seems to me, it's clearly raised an eyebrow or two - the fact is that it hasn't been "swatted aside" as yet and it HAS tangibly stimulated dialogue and debate between the club and fans.

I doubt any of the contributors expect the board to do exactly as they have suggested, it's more about setting an agenda for a debate to persuade the board at least explore constructive alternatives to the current course we seem to be sailing.

I think the report has already been very successful on as least three levels - the information it contains is incredibly interesting, thought provoking and in a way entertaining, leading to many fans having enjoyed reading it and becoming a lot more informed about many issues. Secondly, it's been something tangible, a clear and lucid voice for fans to unite around and to champion our cause; and finally it has actually been read by and given recognition by the board, subsequently setting the agenda for the next supporters' assembly debate.

Now that is certainly progress from before the report, where we had a bunch of forums with a load if disparate viewpoints, often arguing among ourselves and not engaging with the Club's board in the slightest.

As individual fans we have no say whatsoever; however, if we can get some semblance of unity and that clarity of voice and positive focus we have a good chance of being heard. The STS report has been the best "tool" we have had available to achieve that since the implosion of the RST.

What's with the new "drive by shooting" style of posting anyway?

After his first post on this thread a couple of nights ago when he introduced his comments with "Three pages of fawning schmaltz", I thought it might be a 'hit & run'. The intention appears to be little beyond a desire to antagonize, as to use the words fawning & schmaltz together is for Maineflyer to be politely implying that forum members here were essentially kissing one another's asses over the present progress of the report, that people here were being excessively congratulatory to a point of vileness. It doesn't surprise me that he legged it after saying this. He was probably so pleased with himself that he broke out a big Havana reserved for special occasions like being successfully smarmy on an internet forum. :fish:

• 1 month later...
We are pleased to announce that Rangers FC - via Chief Executive Martin Bain - have now commented on our 'Setting the Standard' project of the last few months.

Mr Bain has made the following points worthy of note by fans interested in the project:

- The club have read the report and thanked the contributors for their constructive efforts.

- Many of the issues highlighted in the report have been prioritised by the club but should be the subject of continued and informed debate.

- The club are open at all times to constructive recommendations and suggestions.

- The club welcomes the opportunity to work positively with the Rangers family.

- To that end, the club are recommending the report (available for download here) be tabled as a main agenda item at the next Rangers Supporters Assembly meeting where the club will be happy to participate.

We welcome this positive momentum and hope that this initial discussion will prove to be the first step towards an open debate between the support and the club in relation to the main points of the ââ?¬Ë?Setting the Standardââ?¬â?¢ report.

:spl:

Frankie,

What progress with this project? Have any meetings taken place yet with the club? If so, what outcomes emerged? Or have any dates been set for future discussions?

Thanks.