Rangers to sign Danny Mills...

I thought Furman was a decent player, but from the reports last season he blew hot and cold in the third tier of English football. Is that they type of player we are pinning our hopes on? Is he any better than say, Charlie Adam? A player with a proven track record in Scotland and the CL?

Cammy F

Adam? A proven track record in the CL? When?

He scored 1 goal that I can remember. That hardly equates to a "proven track record". If he is that good then why did he sign for a Championship club?

Your comment about for every 1 Arsenal player who makes it through their ranks 10 miss out. I'd love to see your source for that.

I see Gav's point, many of our youngsters who do play either a) sign after being first team regulars at the previous club or b) have been out on loan to gain first team experience (nothing wrong with that though).

Its more of the young players who havent had first team sniff that dont get a game with us. - Obviously not EVERY player is like that. but the recent few are Efrem, Furman, Aaron and Fleck. Only Fleck has managed to get into the first team but was played out of position and thrown into a OF derby away iin his first match. He ended up struggling which could dent the lads future. At the same time it could give the guy an advantage if he uses the experience correctly - its all about the personality of the player and his management.

He scored 1 goal that I can remember. That hardly equates to a "proven track record". If he is that good then why did he sign for a Championship club?

Adam scored his 1st goal for us in our UEFA cup win over Livorno in 06/07. In the same run in Europe he scored against both of the Israeli sides we played. In our 07/08 run in Europe he scored home & away for us in the Champions League against Stuttgart, as well as playing in many of the other games that seen us manage to get to the UEFA Cup Final against all odds.

Gazza, I challenge you to find another 23 year old midfielder with similar height & build qualities, similar experience & a similar GTG ratio as Adam for �£500k. Adam's scored 31 goals in 130 starts in his short career (he's only 23 remember).

There's other positive things I could say about Adam, but since this isn't an Adam thread I'll GTF. :flipa:

McCorrmack is another who's gone on to good things. How's Stephan Mclean doing these days? Last i heard he was banging them in.

I think the point Gazza is trying to make is that it's frustrating to let our youngsters go and they go on to have pretty good careers without really getting a fair crack at the whip with us. Now if this is so often the case and they've been coached by us for lets say 5 yrs, hen thats bad management and investment by us.

Adam scored his 1st goal for us in our UEFA cup win over Livorno in 06/07. In the same run in Europe he scored against both of the Israeli sides we played. In our 07/08 run in Europe he scored home & away for us in the Champions League against Stuttgart, as well as playing in many of the other games that seen us manage to get to the UEFA Cup Final against all odds.

Gazza, I challenge you to find another 23 year old midfielder with similar height & build qualities, similar experience & a similar GTG ratio as Adam for �£500k. Adam's scored 31 goals in 130 starts in his short career (he's only 23 remember).

There's other positive things I could say about Adam, but since this isn't an Adam thread I'll GTF. :flipa:

You're talking about the UEFA Cup. Cammy stated he had a proven track record in the Champions League.

Your comment about for every 1 Arsenal player who makes it through their ranks 10 miss out. I'd love to see your source for that.

If Adam "was that good" he'd still be playing for Rangers. As someone who didn't make it at the club why would he be "stepping up" to the Premiership? The Prem teams have far more money than us now and can be more picky. If he's surplus to requirements here then why would an EPL player take him on?

He's actually taken about the smallest step down he could take by going to the Championship which suggests he's reasonably good.

Funny how you're slagging a young player that Walter gave a proper chance to...

Basically I can't believe that anyone thinks that any top club can systematically build a team from the youth academy. It's definitely a numbers game and there are loads of failures for every success. The bigger the club, the bigger that ratio will normally be.

McCorrmack is another who's gone on to good things. How's Stephan Mclean doing these days? Last i heard he was banging them in.

I think the point Gazza is trying to make is that it's frustrating to let our youngsters go and they go on to have pretty good careers without really getting a fair crack at the whip with us. Now if this is so often the case and they've been coached by us for lets say 5 yrs, hen thats bad management and investment by us.

The likes of McCormack and McLean have done reasonably well but are still at lesser clubs than Rangers - Plymouth and Cardiff. There is little guarantee that they would have done better than the likes of Cousin and Darcheville.

Ironically, the most valuable young Scottish striker at the moment is apparently Boyd, who we do have and who isn't the most popular player with the fans.

Stevie McLean's biggest transfer fee was 500k and McCormack's is zero. Doesn't suggest we missed out does it? Boyd's biggest offer has been 3.5M, Miller has gone for about 3M and Lafferty was 3M, so perhaps we actually possess better players than the two we let go...

One of the youngsters that impressed me the most recently was Moses Ashikodi and I was sorry to see him go. However, he's been around some small teams and now at Shrewsbury with not a single penny changing hands. Shows how much I know - or was it big bad Rangers that ruined his career?

There will always be the odd player that we regret letting go but you can only see that with hindsight and we can't keep EVERY player just in case and regualarly put them all in the team - we'd win nothing that way.

But, when you think about it, there aren't that many players who are keeping us awake at night. The only one I can think of is Gattuso and we got 3.5M for him plus a sell on fee to soften the blow.

If Adam "was that good" he'd still be playing for Rangers. As someone who didn't make it at the club why would he be "stepping up" to the Premiership? The Prem teams have far more money than us now and can be more picky. If he's surplus to requirements here then why would an EPL player take him on?

Ask Cammy. He's the one who thinks Adam has a "proven track record" in the CL.

Funny how you're slagging a young player that Walter gave a proper chance to...

I'd hardly say WS gave Adam a proper chance. He was used a bit part player during Smiths reign. He already had in the region of 80 games under his belt for us before WS took over. With Adam he was the best of a bad bunch for the much argued LM spot.

As Calscot says, McLean is at Plymouth. But was linked with Aberdeen recently.

Stevie McLean's biggest transfer fee was 500k and McCormack's is zero. Doesn't suggest we missed out does it? Boyd's biggest offer has been 3.5M, Miller has gone for about 3M and Lafferty was 3M, so perhaps we actually possess better players than the two we let go...

We'll see how much McCormack goes for when Cardiff sell him.

One of the youngsters that impressed me the most recently was Moses Ashikodi and I was sorry to see him go. However, he's been around some small teams and now at Shrewsbury with not a single penny changing hands. Shows how much I know - or was it big bad Rangers that ruined his career?

I think Ashikodi ruined his own career when he attempted to stab a teammate with a knife.

Also, your sarcastic jibes re "big bad Rangers" aimed at users who don't like the way we operate at present are laughable and pathetic.