Rangers to sign Danny Mills...

Ask Cammy. He's the one who thinks Adam has a "proven track record" in the CL.

I'd hardly say WS gave Adam a proper chance. He was used a bit part player during Smiths reign. He already had in the region of 80 games under his belt for us before WS took over. With Adam he was the best of a bad bunch for the much argued LM spot.

Charlie Adam has scored more CL goals than Kris Boyd - the last time we were in the CL he was our joint top goalscorer. A few seasons ago, Charlie Adam scored 14 goals from midfield, making him our 3rd top goalscorer domestically.

Charlie Adam form actually dropped as soon as Walter Smith took charge of Rangers. He was playing well under previous managers and I wouls argue that he was one beneficory of the PLG regime / era. He looked fit and looked a decent player.

If his name was Charlio Adamino we wouldn't be having this conversation. Charlie Adam showed more prospect, form and ability for Rangers than any other 'prospect' name mentioned in this thread.

Cammy F

Charlie Adam has scored more CL goals than Kris Boyd - the last time we were in the CL he was our joint top goalscorer. A few seasons ago, Charlie Adam scored 14 goals from midfield, making him our 3rd top goalscorer domestically.

You can't honestly compare the two can you unless you show how much playing time they have had in said competition ? How much playing time has Adam had in the CL vs Boyd - Boyd has hardly featured in the CL.

Charlie Adam form actually dropped as soon as Walter Smith took charge of Rangers. He was playing well under previous managers and I wouls argue that he was one beneficory of the PLG regime / era. He looked fit and looked a decent player.

I would agree with that. It was PLG that really gave him his chance and he seemed to drop off when WS came in - who was at fault for that ? Who knows. He did have a good return from midfield that season - but we all know Rangers were a very poor team that year, so best of a bad bunch ?

If his name was Charlio Adamino we wouldn't be having this conversation. Charlie Adam showed more prospect, form and ability for Rangers than any other 'prospect' name mentioned in this thread.

Cammy F

Do you really think so ? I have thought for a long time that he seems to be cumbersome and slow. I am not as convinced as you about what you say because the "inho's" IMO have more about them than just a decent set piece and an eye for the spectacular every now and then.

I don't understand why you compared Adam and Boyd. Both are unproven in the CL.

Being proven domestically and being proven in the CL is two totally different things. Just because he was our 3rd top scorer domestically a few seasons ago doesn't automatically mean he's a CL hit.

I won't disagree with you there.

I'll stick my neck on the line and say WS ruined Adams career at Ibrox. He was onto a decent thing at Rangers but Smiths awful tactics and team selections soon changed that.

I'll stick my neck on the line and say WS ruined Adams career at Ibrox. He was onto a decent thing at Rangers but Smiths awful tactics and team selections soon changed that.

I would say if a player's talent is so fragile to be ruined by such stuff then it's hardly a talent at all.

Charlie Adam under Eck was in a team that finished 3rd behind Hearts and won nothing and under PLG a team that were 17 points behind and out of both cups at the half way stage.

I don't see how in contrast being in a team that narrowly loses out on the quadruple and then being in a double winning team - narrowly missing out on the treble, can then ruin your career.

If that's the case then I hope we ruin a load of players careers with such success. Long may it continue.

I can't imagine why someone thinks we should be shite so that for some strange logic we don't ruin the odd players career...

It could be that Adam is better suited to playing attacking football in a 4-4-2 and his form started to dip when he was pushed out wide in a defensive 4-5-1.

Then again it could also be that he became the designated whipping boy of the support, seeing as Hutton finally came onto a good game and others like Svensson & Sionko were ditched when WS took over.

Walter was saying recently something along the lines that Whittaker had taken a while to settle as he struggled to deal with the demands & criticism of the fans. It's probably bad enough when the team is collectively booed never mind when your singled out as an individual. Of course this is something you NEED to get used to when playing for Rangers - Just ask Hutton - but it can't be easy to concentrate when you've got 1000's calling you a fat lazy bas***d. :(

It could be that Adam is better suited to playing attacking football in a 4-4-2 and his form started to dip when he was pushed out wide in a defensive 4-5-1.

Then again it could also be that he became the designated whipping boy of the support, seeing as Hutton finally came onto a good game and others like Svensson & Sionko were ditched when WS took over.

Walter was saying recently something along the lines that Whittaker had taken a while to settle as he struggled to deal with the demands & criticism of the fans. It's probably bad enough when the team is collectively booed never mind when your singled out as an individual. Of course this is something you NEED to get used to when playing for Rangers - Just ask Hutton - but it can't be easy to concentrate when you've got 1000's calling you a fat lazy bas***d. :(

I don't think he is mobile enough to play in a 4-4-2. He is best suited to playing in the middle of a 4-5-1.

Other players have been criticised by the support in the past and are able to ignore it and or/overcome it. (McCoist, Hutton etc) i'm not sure that Adam has that ability. He lets it get to him.

I remember in what was possibly his last game (?) against Celtic at Ibrox and he played well for the first 20-25 minutes, but made one mistake and totally lost his confidence and wouldn't try anything after that. Other players continue trying. He didn't.

The criticism he has received has been vastly over the top, particuaklrly as he has been arguably played out of position but it just hasn't worked out for him and it's best if he moves on.

Stevie McLean's biggest transfer fee was 500k and McCormack's is zero. Doesn't suggest we missed out does it? Boyd's biggest offer has been 3.5M, Miller has gone for about 3M and Lafferty was 3M, so perhaps we actually possess better players than the two we let go...

McCormack has just handed in a transfer request at Cardiff. Let's see how much he goes to Hull, who are interested or any other EPL team for that matter.

I await with interest.

I'd be surprised if he went for more than �£2M and I still doubt he's as good as Boyd, Lafferty, or even Naismith. Lennon also looked a better prospect at Ibrox. If he does go for a lot of money, does that mean that Rangers haven't ruined his career?

Silly prices are being paid for players down south though, wouldn't surprise me if he went for �£4-�£5M to the likes of Hull or Stoke..............

Edited by johnnyk