Rangers linked with Senegalese defender

Rangers are reportedly weighing up a move for Senegalese international defender Souleymane Diawara, writes Martin Greig. The 27-year-old, who plays for French Ligue 1 side Sochaux, is also attracting interest from Premiership side Charlton and was previously a target for Newcastle United and Portsmouth.

Sochaux have put a �£4m price tag on Diawara's head, but the unsettled defender is unhappy about the size of that fee. He has cited his four years of service to the club and spoken of his ambition to test himself "at a new level", in a bid to negotiate his exit. Sources in France confirmed last night that he may now be available for around half of the �£4m fee.

The Senegalese internationalist - who was linked with Rangers last year - would provide a solution to Paul Le Guen's defensive problems, evident once again in the 2-2 draw with Kilmarnock on Sunday. He would provide competition for Julien Rodriguez and Karl Svensson, in particular, who has struggled to adapt to Scottish football.

Meanwhile, Jose-Karl Pierre- Fanfan has picked up a knee injury which may delay his attempts to find a new club before the transfer window closes on Thursday night. Rangers are keen to free up the Frenchman's �£17,000-a-week wages.

A move to La Liga side Gimnastic Tarragona fell through and he has since been linked with Bolton Wanderers.

Rangers are reportedly weighing up a move for Senegalese international defender Souleymane Diawara, writes Martin Greig. The 27-year-old, who plays for French Ligue 1 side Sochaux, is also attracting interest from Premiership side Charlton and was previously a target for Newcastle United and Portsmouth.

Sochaux have put a �£4m price tag on Diawara's head, but the unsettled defender is unhappy about the size of that fee. He has cited his four years of service to the club and spoken of his ambition to test himself "at a new level", in a bid to negotiate his exit. Sources in France confirmed last night that he may now be available for around half of the �£4m fee.

The Senegalese internationalist - who was linked with Rangers last year - would provide a solution to Paul Le Guen's defensive problems, evident once again in the 2-2 draw with Kilmarnock on Sunday. He would provide competition for Julien Rodriguez and Karl Svensson, in particular, who has struggled to adapt to Scottish football.

Meanwhile, Jose-Karl Pierre- Fanfan has picked up a knee injury which may delay his attempts to find a new club before the transfer window closes on Thursday night. Rangers are keen to free up the Frenchman's �£17,000-a-week wages.

A move to La Liga side Gimnastic Tarragona fell through and he has since been linked with Bolton Wanderers.

Vaguely remember being linked with him last year, dont know too much about him though

We certainly need another centre half to give us depth and competition in that area.

We must move on the wasters though if we're to spend another few million (which in itself is unlikely).

Fan-fan is on �£17k a week?!!? Get the feeling the men upstairs (Bain?) are a bit of a pushover when it comes to contract negotiations.

I remember Diawara from a few years back, he's a pretty good player.... �£4m is a bit steep though and Rangers wont pay that much. We certainly need at least one more defender before the transfer window closes.

I'm getting to the stage now where I would rather have players like Russel Anderson, Andy Webster and the like coming in. At least they would know what is expected of them. We've had too many second rate foriegners coming in over the last few years. And if we let Stephen Naismith head off to England without putting in an offer I'll be very pissed off. He's proved his talent for about 18 months now and would be an excellent addition to the Rangers squad.

Guest The_Rock
I'm getting to the stage now where I would rather have players like Russel Anderson, Andy Webster and the like coming in. At least they would know what is expected of them. We've had too many second rate foriegners coming in over the last few years. And if we let Stephen Naismith head off to England without putting in an offer I'll be very pissed off. He's proved his talent for about 18 months now and would be an excellent addition to the Rangers squad.

I agree mate , spending all that money on a dodgy african is stupid , webster/anderson for 500k would be a great move , tried and tested in the SPL more than good enough to get in our backline .

P.S Naismith will always go 2 Arsenal before us .

I agree especially with the same old "hasn't adapted to Scottish football excuse." This excuse was weirdly trotted out again after the Zenit debacle. Why do you need to adapt to Scottish football when you're playing for a french manager in a multinational team against another team of foreigners who are mostly Russian?

Why didn't AEK need to adapt to give Hearts a trouncing? And that goes for pretty much any European club that comes to play the non OF teams in Scotland.

The likes of Webster would at least give us an insurance option for a small premium.

Another player we've been linked with who's joined a smaller club (Elmander for example, joining Tolouse).

Just a sign of the calibre of player we're being linked with.

It's funny, this summer, the only signing we made who I had ever seen play was Letizi, and he looked horrendous.

There's been fuck all to get me excited this summer.

Another player we've been linked with who's joined a smaller club (Elmander for example, joining Tolouse).

Just a sign of the calibre of player we're being linked with.

It's funny, this summer, the only signing we made who I had ever seen play was Letizi, and he looked horrendous.

There's been fuck all to get me excited this summer.

The club they sign for isnt always an indicator of the calibre of player though.

You must be impressed with Clement at the very least, surely ? Martin ?