Graveson deal falls through?

It's actually quite worrying how far ahead of us Celtic have become in a commercial sense.

It seems now people acknowledge Celtic a helluva lot more than Rangers, and big name players now seem more keen to join them.

Not sure I agree Beattie. It depends on whether we also want them or not.

Gravesen and JVoH didn't have too many other options (not saying they aren't good players but they just didn't have too many great options) and I don't think we were ever interested in either of them so I don't think it is necessarily fair to say that the big name players are more keen to join them - depends on if we are also in for the same players or not.

I think we are closer to them than we think - they have a solid team now, for sure, but not wonderful. If we could get one or 2 more defenders who add quality then I think we match them - we should be 5 points clear of them already in the league.

One difference which can't be forgotten though is that 2 of our first-teamers are on loan so they are in a better position than us right now in terms of a starting 11 who are all on permanent deals.

Going to be an interesting season - but as I said in another thread, a couple of short months ago and most of us would have sacrificed the league this year in order to move in the right direction - which is definitely happening.

We've had a lot of big name signings that never lived up to their transfer fees while some lesser known ones have been gems.

Remember Flo, Therne, Boli, Kanchelskis, Hendry, Guivarche etc, etc, etc.

Even if their new players perform, remember we won a few leagues when they had Larsson, Hartson, Sutton and others.

We of all people should know, that a good team on paper, doesn't always mean much.

I'm still optimistic we'll win due to the Le Guen factor but it looks like it will be a proper challenge.

I'm still optimistic we'll win due to the Le Guen factor but it looks like it will be a proper challenge.

Likewise calscot - and we mustn't forget that the most important signing for ANY team is the man who SELECTS the 11 that play - I think in PLG that WE have made the most important and influential signing this summer

It's not over yet if we get far in europe and they drop like flies as there going too. :P If am right its �£5mill to get into the group stages of the UEFA Cup and it's only til January til the transfer window opens again and strengthen our team even more. Can't really see us signing anyone of there calibure with the money we've got in the next 24hrs.

I am with PLG til the end of the season then I can accurately judge his judgement in players and his tactics.

In PLG we TRUST !

I would personally rather see an end to big signings for us ... i'd rather everyone came through our youth system

... but since that has been a virtual disaster, then i guess we have to compete in the market, and i have to congratulate Celtic on what looks like far better dealing in the transfer market this summer than what we have had (with the exception of Kenny Miller!)

Aye that's true, but I wasn't speaking necessarily about the quality of player we can attract.

We say Celtic's trips to the US and so on are all just about money, but they've really went ahead of us in a sense of worldwide exposure.

And it's always Celtic who get the glamour friendlies against the likes of Chelsea and Manchester United. Always Celtic big players turn to for testimonials.

Now I'm not syaing I want all that, but it means in places like England, it'll always be Celtic people refer to over Rangers. (I don't mean fans, but more the media and so on).

And, at some point, that may have a knock on effect, making them look like a bigger club than us, hence making players want to join them over us.

Gravesen and JVoH didn't have too many other options (not saying they aren't good players but they just didn't have too many great options) and I don't think we were ever interested in either of them so I don't think it is necessarily fair to say that the big name players are more keen to join them - depends on if we are also in for the same players or not.

I think we are closer to them than we think - they have a solid team now, for sure, but not wonderful. If we could get one or 2 more defenders who add quality then I think we match them - we should be 5 points clear of them already in the league.

One difference which can't be forgotten though is that 2 of our first-teamers are on loan so they are in a better position than us right now in terms of a starting 11 who are all on permanent deals.

Going to be an interesting season - but as I said in another thread, a couple of short months ago and most of us would have sacrificed the league this year in order to move in the right direction - which is definitely happening.

Totally agree Craig. I've said it before that it's more important that the manager picks the best team and not the best players. IMO Celtic are going down the short term fix route and as we all know it doesn't work. Our priority is much more long term. The average age of the squad is now around 25 and apart from the loan players most of the new signings are on 3-4 year contracts. This is the way PLG works and he is looking for achievable targets which will fit into his systems. Correct me if Iam wrong but I don't think he ever went and spent a fortune on big names at Lyon, what he did was bring in players with huge potential and made them into big names, ie Essien, Juninho and Diarra and look where he took them. Strachan is tactically inept and there no guarantee that these new signings will gel.

I'm not worried.