Guest Flying Hippo
If we get some more goals from midfielders next season, Miller steps up again as part of a settled strike partnership, we should be able to cover Boyd's tally. But that's a big if.

Some fans have never taken to Boyd no matter what he did. Not entirely sure why, but apart from a mass love-in when he beat Larsson's scoring record, he's struggled to win over many in our support.

It's because his all round game is totally abysmal. Some fans see beyond the goalscoring machine stuff and expect more from a forward. I'd take someone like Prso or Cousin over Boyd any day of the week, even though their scoring records were pretty average. I think only caring about how many goals a striker scores is a very Draconian attitude. I also think Walter's loyalty to Boyd (despite dropping him so often for big games) has stopped us adopting a fluid and attractive 4-3-3 formation and ultimately led to the stagnant football we so often produce

Edited by Flying Hippo

Do you still stand by this?

Absolutely. Sure, Lafferty scored 2 on Sunday, one was from a very decent run and one from a tap-in. I also saw him with a gilt-edged chance which he put yards wide with only the keeper to beat. His "2 goal salvo" will NOT convince me. When he has done it over a season then I will be convinced that he could be Boyd's replacement.

He is as likely to hit the corner flag as the net, at times (see his effort at Easter Road). And that is not a slight on Lafferty because there is NO DOUBT he has improved. But a replacement for Boyd's 25+ goals a season ? Not yet, not as far as I can see.

So yes, I have no hestitation in standing by what I said.

Provides assists though...

And ? Boyd was also providing assists in the 1st half of the season, and more than Naismith was too I would suggest. So Naismith provides 2 assists at the weekend and he is the creative influence we have craved ? How many assists has he provided this season ?

Boyd has (or at least was prior to his injury) provided assists this season too.

Where did I say you could replace him and his goals for 400k. You just made that up!

He cost us 400k. That was my point. I didnt aim that comment at you but at the fact that we would need to replace him, at least in the squad. Look again at what I typed and you will see it wasnt aimed at you.

What I do believe is that Lafferty has got 5 in his last 7 games - a tally Boyd is familiar with. Lafferty might not be Mr Popular on this and other forums, but clearly the fans at Ibrox are warming to him and gave him an almighty ovation yesterday - he has the ability to score goals, just like Boyd.

It's taken him a long time to settle, but surely people can see that while the two are different players, Lafferty is capable of scoring plenty of goals.

I didnt say that lafferty isnt capable of scoring plenty of goals. In fact, if you go back and take a look at a thread about the Hearts game at Ibrox last year, you will see that I posted how impressed I was with his composure in scoring our 2nd. He is capable of scoring goals - but I am yet to be convinced that he would do it as consistently as Boyd has done. I will gladly be proven wrong.

As for the 5 from 7 games.... decent return, no doubt. But stats can be used which ever way you want to use them. How many has he scored during the full season ? He certainly has scored less than Whittaker, who is a full back. So does that prove that his scoring return isnt good enough for a forward ? No it doesnt. Stats can be used whatever way you like.

Boyd's stats could be pulled apart too and you will find that he is on a barren run.... yet his scoring rate wouldnt be far off 5 out of 7 - but over the course of his career. Using 5 from 7 for Lafferty is using his most prolific run in his career, rather than his full career.

I also am not completely convinced that Lafferty makes the same intelligent runs that Boyd does. Actually, as an aside, Boyd also provided part of the assist for Lafferty's 1st at the weekend by pulling the CB away from the danger area that Lafferty got into.

So you will excuse me if I am still to be convinced that Lafferty can provide such proficiency in front of goal as Boyd has. As I say though, I will be more than happy for him to prove me wrong.

Not sure really what his popularity has to do with the debate either, but there ya go :D

Edited by craig

It's because his all round game is totally abysmal. Some fans see beyond the goalscoring machine stuff and expect more from a forward. I'd take someone like Prso or Cousin over Boyd any day of the week, even though their scoring records were pretty average. I think only caring about how many goals a striker scores is a very Draconian attitude. I also think Walter's loyalty to Boyd (despite dropping him so often for big games) has stopped us adopting a fluid and attractive 4-3-3 formation and ultimately led to the stagnant football we so often produce

One surely cant doubt that Boyd's overall game has improved dramatically in the last 18 months.

He brings other players into the game far more than he ever did.

Beacause different people respond differently to the same situation. :rolleyes:

Very true indeed, but it invalidates the point you made. You cannot know why Boyd's form has deteriorated - you're using conjecture as fact.

Not really sure what you think you're proving with that point. Boyd's form clearly detiorated with injury and specualtion over his future. The difference with Weir also being that he has made his fortune, achieved a lot in his career and knows the club will pay up to keep him if he decides to stay.

'clearly' again. What about other players who have been linked away, like Bougherra - his form remained unchanged, as have McGregor and Davis.

In fact, the only player who seems to be letting 'speculation', in your book, affect him, is Boyd. Not very professional if all the others can put that sort of issue to one side, is it?

My point is his form has declined for reasons known only to himself - you can make up what you think are logical reasons, so can I. Only he knows.

Though in saying that it's more like his form has gone 'back to normal' than actually declined...

One surely cant doubt that Boyd's overall game has improved dramatically in the last 18 months.

That's like saying he's gone from being completely awful to below average.

He brings other players into the game far more than he ever did.

He was last calendar year yes. This year he's been back to what he used to be like.

If he'd kept up the form of December, which utterly impressed me, I'd be gagging for us to hold onto him. But in 5 years, one month of smashing all round play isn't really enough for me.

His goals = great. But we didn't struggle in his absence and I see no reason why we'd start to do so now.

The inference here is that those who support him are blinded by his goals and that is unfair. We can all see he is not the complete player and has many faults, but then that describes every player at Ibrox.

You decide a player's merit or worth to the team based upon their overall attributes; their strengths and weaknesses. To be so blase about one of the msot important aspects of the game, scoring goals, is frankly astounding.

Whilst we might prefer a Cousin/Prso to Boyd, we would also prefer Hutton to any of our fullbacks, to have Cuellar at centre back, a midfielder of Fergie's quality in midfield. But the reality is our financial situation dictates we cannot hold onto the top quality players. I don't see why we are talking solely about replacing Boyd with a Prso anyway. We would prefer that quality of striker to Miller, Novo and Lafferty too. So getting rid of our number 1 or 2 striker for no money makes no financial or footballing sense.

Oh and Walter's loyalty to Boyd, I assume that part was a joke? :D

Very true indeed, but it invalidates the point you made. You cannot know why Boyd's form has deteriorated - you're using conjecture as fact.

'clearly' again. What about other players who have been linked away, like Bougherra - his form remained unchanged, as have McGregor and Davis.

In fact, the only player who seems to be letting 'speculation', in your book, affect him, is Boyd. Not very professional if all the others can put that sort of issue to one side, is it?

My point is his form has declined for reasons known only to himself - you can make up what you think are logical reasons, so can I. Only he knows.

Though in saying that it's more like his form has gone 'back to normal' than actually declined...

Thanks for telling me we can both have opinions on why his form has detiorated. :D I'm not the only one to suggest that arguement.

Oh and Boogie's form never changed? How do we know?

Boogie, Davis and McGregor are in different situations anyway so not really a comparison. Davis/McGregor have been subject to piss all speculation really, compared to Boyd and both have decent length contracts and are first names on the team sheet wanted by the manager. Boogie, it appears, doesn't want to be here anyway. I think it's obvious to see why boyd's situation is more difficult psychologically.

His form has gone back to normal, not declined. :D I laugh at the idea that you support Boyd as much as lafferty in particular and the rest of the team. You always look at Boyd from a negative angle which is odd from a Rangers supporter.

Some fans have never taken to Boyd which is a shame, he does his job well which is scoring goals for the team. Alright he probably had his worst spell of his career during the last few months. At least he was providing some goals, he would have never done that earlier in his career.

Weir isn't spectacular either but again does his job, but Boyd is expected to do more?

Boyd record has been fantastic for a so called limited player over 100 league goals in probably 150 league games for us.

Guest Flying Hippo
The inference here is that those who support him are blinded by his goals and that is unfair. We can all see he is not the complete player and has many faults, but then that describes every player at Ibrox.

You decide a player's merit or worth to the team based upon their overall attributes; their strengths and weaknesses. To be so blase about one of the msot important aspects of the game, scoring goals, is frankly astounding.

Whilst we might prefer a Cousin/Prso to Boyd, we would also prefer Hutton to any of our fullbacks, to have Cuellar at centre back, a midfielder of Fergie's quality in midfield. But the reality is our financial situation dictates we cannot hold onto the top quality players. I don't see why we are talking solely about replacing Boyd with a Prso anyway. We would prefer that quality of striker to Miller, Novo and Lafferty too. So getting rid of our number 1 or 2 striker for no money makes no financial or footballing sense.

Oh and Walter's loyalty to Boyd, I assume that part was a joke? :D

Cousin cost less than �£1 million so the idea that we can't afford to buy such a forward is ludicrous. Not to mention the fact that we already have 3 forwards on our books, probably 4 if you count Naismith, with a much better all round game than Boyd

Cousin cost less than �£1 million so the idea that we can't afford to buy such a forward is ludicrous. Not to mention the fact that we already have 3 forwards on our books, probably 4 if you count Naismith, with a much better all round game than Boyd

Lets just wait and see then. If Boyd leaves and we don't replace him with another serious goal scorer I personally think we'll struggle to win the league again. 23 SPL goals this season & 27 last season aren't the sort of numbers we should be turning our noses up at just because he doesn't always please the eye.