He'd do a great job for a lot of EPL sides. He suffered under O'Neill and Hodgson because they both like a physical side and didn't feel he was strong enough to play in a 4-4-2, whereas Davis would be better served playing centrally in a 4-5-1 or 4-3-3 (like the second half the other night, only with distinctly better players than Naismith and Lafferty playing wide of him)

I'll be absolutely delighted if he's still here next season, and pretty shocked, as i think someone like Bolton or Birmingham will come in with a �£5 million bid

Well, it didn't happen last summer and he'd been here for a year and a half already. He's a great player for the SPL, easily our best CM, but I think English clubs are less interested in him than you think.

Everyone is replaceable. The only player whose departure would greatly trouble me would be Davis.

It's crazy to think, though, of the strength in depth we had 3 years ago in comparison to now

Back then we had

GK - McGregor, Carroll, Smith

DL - Papac, Smith, Murray

DR - Hutton, Whittaker

DC - Cuellar, Weir, Webster, Ehiogu

ML - Beasley, Adam, Gow

MR - McCulloch, Burke, Buffel

MC - Ferguson, Thomson, Hemdani, Faye

ST - Boyd, Darcheville, Cousin, Novo

A lot of average players in there but a strong squad nonetheless; now the worry is how we'll fill 18 spots next season!

Ok, now we have:

GK: McGregor and Alexander

LB: Smith and Papac

RB: Broadfoot and Whittaker

CB: Weir, Bougherra, Wilson, Webster to return

LM: Naismith, Beasley, Fleck, Lafferty

RM: Davis, Novo, Naismith

CM: McCulloch, Thomson, Davis, Edu

S: Boyd, Novo, Lafferty, Miller

There are a few overlaps but the squad isn't quite as threadbare as you suggest. Oh, and Buffel was never a right winger ;)

Guest Flying Hippo

In a month's time we're looking at:

GK - McGregor, Alexander

DR - Whittaker, Little

DL - Papac

DC - Wilson, Bougherra, Webster

MR - Davis

ML - Naismith, Fleck

MC - Edu, McCulloch, Thomson

ST - Miller, Lafferty, Velicka

With another 9 of those out of contract at the end of next season! This is why the takeover is so vital

Edited by Flying Hippo

This is shaping up to be the most important preseason ever , and with the world cup it will only be more frantic , that's why many managers such as Wenger are tryin to get their players sorted before it starts .

Also by the time it finishes and players get a break it will be the end of July before they return , that's not including any injuries

Like Frankie, unless things change dramatically, I'd be looking to raise funds by selling Boogie & McGregor.

We definitely have the basis of a good squad and some promising young players, I'd like to see us building a team for next season around Davis in the middle and buying a couple of naturally wider midfield players to compliment him.

Until the last few weeks Lafferty would have been first out the door, but he has shown a bit of promise recently and he is very young still. Hell, even Naismith is only 23. I know he's been average at best, but I think it would be hard to ship him out the door now given he's hardly had a run in the team up front.

Will be interesting to see if Velicka gets a chance in pre-season assuming Boyd leaves.

The only player I'd accept leaving would be Boyd.

Quite honestly we're not in a position to let anyone else go.

Is this another weak fishing trip?

Whilst Boyd is more likely to go than many others both from a playing and financial p.o.v. it would be extremely bad business. :confused:

I don't think our team will be at all weakened by Boyd leaving, in all honesty. Granted we need a replacement but if Miller can hit the 20 mark again next season, it's hardly a terminal loss

Miller hitting 20+ once his career hardly leaves me thinking it probable to happen again next year. I think it's quite incredulous how little some fans appreciate what Boyd contributes. Especially when these same fans are typically huge fans of Lafferty, Sebo and any other forward with a very poor goal scoring record by comparison.

You can't just say Miller will take up the slack of Boyd leaving anyway as most the season they have played together. It would be up to Lafferty or Naismith to contribute what Boyd did and again that seems unlikely.

Guest Flying Hippo

I don't think the team will be at all weakened by Boyd leaving, in all honesty. Granted we'll miss his goals but we won't exactly be losing anything else (all round game) If Miller can hit the 20 goal mark again next year, we'll be fine

Apologies for deleting my first post, didn't realise it had already been quoted!

Will be interesting to see if Velicka gets a chance in pre-season assuming Boyd leaves.

It isn't certain Velicka will be fit for pre-season although he has started light training again recently...

Is this another weak fishing trip?

I told you to feel flattered the first time, this one wasn't interested in you. Sorry to disappoint.

Whilst Boyd is more likely to go than many others both from a playing and financial p.o.v. it would be extremely bad business. :confused:

His form this calendar year has been dire, his attitude even worse. At least Bougherra has form on his side.