Bougherra and McGregor could go - as long as the income was reinvested into the team.

Both are replaceable IMO - even if they have given fine contributions to the team over the last few years.

I'm not sure why we'd want to sell in order to replace. It seems a bit pointless unless both actually want to go.

Isn't it better to retain them so we don't have to take risks with 2 or 3 new replacement players who might not settle?

As far as I am concerned, we should be trying to hold onto our best players, and bringing in further ones.

Naturally this depends on having money - and if we don't have any then holding onto our best players becomes even more important.

If we sell Bougherra and McGregor - say for a combined �£10million - then that would enable us to replace them and Boyd while still leaving money left over.

Of course doing so represents a gamble but how else do we find money to improve the areas of the squad that will weaken this summer?

I think the trouble is that we will need quite a few players so selling two who want to go to buy more makes sense instead of limping along with 3/4 of a small squad. I would also presume that not all the money would be reinvested...

Guest Flying Hippo

Everyone is replaceable. The only player whose departure would greatly trouble me would be Davis.

It's crazy to think, though, of the strength in depth we had 3 years ago in comparison to now

Back then we had

GK - McGregor, Carroll, Smith

DL - Papac, Smith, Murray

DR - Hutton, Whittaker

DC - Cuellar, Weir, Webster, Ehiogu

ML - Beasley, Adam, Gow

MR - McCulloch, Burke, Buffel

MC - Ferguson, Thomson, Hemdani, Faye

ST - Boyd, Darcheville, Cousin, Novo

A lot of average players in there but a strong squad nonetheless; now the worry is how we'll fill 18 spots next season!

Edited by Flying Hippo

Everyone is replaceable. The only player whose departure would greatly trouble me would be Davis.

Davis is an important player in our team as he is one of the few creative influences we have. His assists and general forward play have been invaluable since he arrived.

However, he is also most inconsistent, lightweight and also more than replaceable in my view.

Guest Flying Hippo

I can't see any realistic alternative who could do the job Davis does. We were very lucky to sign him; if he wasn't a boyhood Rangers fan there's no chance he would've upped sticks from the EPL at his age to move to the SPL

I can't see any realistic alternative who could do the job Davis does. We were very lucky to sign him; if he wasn't a boyhood Rangers fan there's no chance he would've upped sticks from the EPL at his age to move to the SPL

No-one else was interested in him because of the faults listed. If they were, he would not be playing here - simple as that.

It wouldn't be easy to replace him - impossible in fact with no cash - but once again he'd command a decent fee which one would hope would pay for his replacement.

Guest Flying Hippo

He'd do a great job for a lot of EPL sides. He suffered under O'Neill and Hodgson because they both like a physical side and didn't feel he was strong enough to play in a 4-4-2, whereas Davis would be better served playing centrally in a 4-5-1 or 4-3-3 (like the second half the other night, only with distinctly better players than Naismith and Lafferty playing wide of him)

I'll be absolutely delighted if he's still here next season, and pretty shocked, as i think someone like Bolton or Birmingham will come in with a �£5 million bid

tbh as much as I'd like to agree with you I'd have to slightly side with Frankie on this one. Davis plays in the SPL because while frozen out at Fulham, no one else was interested in him.

Whether that's because he's not as good as we think he is, or because of other reasons is not clear - but when it became apparent at the end of his loan spell that Fulham didn't want him back, even though he wanted to stay there, we signed him.

He's here because, yes, he is a Rangers fan, but no one else wanted him and Fulham froze him out.