Rangers FC no longer for sale

I'm still thinking that while all energy seems to be focussed on finding an acquirer for the club, much more scrutiny is required of the man our observers of FF tell us is a shoe-in by Monday. Why would a bloke like Ellis want to sink about �£30m of his hard-borrowed money into a club he has no history or affiliation with?

What is the deal here? Ellis buys at least a majority holding in Rangers - then what? How does he make his investment work for him? Is it a property deal, perhaps in cahoots with Murray? Is there some other business venture involved? Perhaps Murray is exchanging shares for access to some other assets that Ellis controls?

Whatever the reality, it is increasingly difficult to see Ellis as a paternalistic owner of Rangers. Does he really believe the club can be rebuilt, or have any understanding of what will be involved at something like Rangers? I just have this gnawing doubts about this guy - not the man himself but where Rangers fits into his plans.

This seems to me to be several notches up the importance pole from whether he buys the club this week or next ... or, dare I say it, whether some fella from FF is right or wrong.

Your analogy is very apt as it also would have been 22 years ago when the great pretender managed to get his mits on us , the bottom line is we are victims of Minty's bad management and have been available to any Dick or Harry for 4 years , in fact Murray was only minutes away from selling us before he had an epiphany , or was it because he never informed the stock exchange , ach it was all a dream ......

Your analogy is very apt as it also would have been 22 years ago when the great pretender managed to get his mits on us , the bottom line is we are victims of Minty's bad management and have been available to any Dick or Harry for 4 years , in fact Murray was only minutes away from selling us before he had an epiphany , or was it because he never informed the stock exchange , ach it was all a dream ......

I remember, clear as a bell, back around 1994 or thereabouts, saying to someone that the best thing about Rangers was David Murray. As NIAR came and went, I started to question whether we were on a path that was in any way sustainable. It was clear by then that we weren't building any of the foundations necessary to secure the future. In fact, nothing had changed at all since the understandably cavalier days of Souness and all that jazz.

By the late 1990's it was obvious if you looked behind the facade that we were heading for trouble. The bungled neglect of the later Smith years, followed by space cadet spending by Advocaat, guaranteed that a crisis couldn't be far ahead. And it wasn't. The more you looked, the more you saw ... the lies, the routine manipulation of the support, the obscene grandstanding.

I'm not one of those captains of industry that Murray referred to but I do have some sense of a decent business and how to run one ... and it became progressively clearer to me that Murray was just a common gambler, a self-serving risk-taker. He never was what we needed at Rangers and where we are today was always where he was going to lead us. For my part, I fear his legacy hasn't yet been fully shaped and he may yet take us into even greater jeopardy than we see today - possibly as part of this deal to dispose of us. I worry a great deal about how much damage Murray will have done to this old club before his shadow finally passes.

I'm one of those who has never subscribed to the belief that Murray ever seriously intended to sell Rangers or ever actually tried. If he is currently prepared to sell a majority shareholding (and I'm not entirely convinced he is) then I think he will only do so if it is demonstrably seen as another victory for the Murray brand, if it satisfies his ego sufficiently.

In that frame of mind, I do genuinely worry that we'll end up in the middle of another Murray plot that isn't in our interests. Either that or we'll end up in the hands of another like him and prolong the pain even longer. That's why I look at Ellis and cannot for the life of me understand how he could possibly be buying Rangers for the good of Rangers. I hope I'm wrong and that there is an intent that is still to surface and which will reassure cynics like me. But the last twenty years or so should surely have taught us all that there is room for a great deal more cynicism amongst the Rangers support.

That's why I don't have a hell of a lot of patience for posturing about who knows what inside story about deals that might or might not be done by this Monday or next. There are more important issues here.

Great post maineflyer , and it took me 5 more years before I saw threw the great minty smokescreen . Who knows what the hell is happening I for one certainly dont . I only post how I feel , the post about the founders trail on RM as an example , I certainly take no pleasure from posting anything that may mislead or further muddy the waters of any fan .

What wabash has done tonight just further cements my opinion of him as not one of us , tonight was nothing more than malicious and nasty and for the sole purpose of causing trouble , why any Rangers fan would do that is beyond me .

Great post maineflyer , and it took me 5 more years before I saw threw the great minty smokescreen . Who knows what the hell is happening I for one certainly dont . I only post how I feel , the post about the founders trail on RM as an example , I certainly take no pleasure from posting anything that may mislead or further muddy the waters of any fan .

What wabash has done tonight just further cements my opinion of him as not one of us , tonight was nothing more than malicious and nasty and for the sole purpose of causing trouble , why any Rangers fan would do that is beyond me .

Ha ha ha - and look what you started there... even if it was my fault for getting carried away.

But you're right, you can only say it how you see it.

That's an absolutely tremendous post maineflyer and echoes a lot of my own feelings.

We wait and hope to see if Ellis disentangles us from Murray.

It's very gracious of you to say so but I just felt the need to express some growing concerns. I hope N_L is right and I hope Ellis is everything we wish for. I just hope this time we all take a far more circumspect approach to our owner and don't embarrass ourselves with the same blind and often craven gullibility of recent years.

It's very gracious of you to say so but I just felt the need to express some growing concerns. I hope N_L is right and I hope Ellis is everything we wish for. I just hope this time we all take a far more circumspect approach to our owner and don't embarrass ourselves with the same blind and often craven gullibility of recent years.

It's also good to see you have calmed down from this afternoon lol :)

Are you feeling ok? :D

I don't think anyone will treat any new owner with blind faith in the future. That's one thing we can thank Murray for.

Guest Northampton_loyalist

I have never passed any form of comment on what I think Ellis will be like as a chairman for our club so I dont understand your point highlighted above.

The only comment I have made is that I am certain the deal will go ahead, what he does then is well beyond my ken.

I have never passed any form of comment on what I think Ellis will be like as a chairman for our club so I dont understand your point highlighted above.

The only comment I have made is that I am certain the deal will go ahead, what he does then is well beyond my ken.

Your down as guilty by association mate , get used to it :whistle: