Guest Flying Hippo
1 out of 12/13 games have been awful. Bring on the final group games where teams HAVE to open up.

Can't quite work out if you'd made a mistake in that post or you honestly believe that 12 of the games have been good :o

After five days I would have expected to write something along the lines of "it's been interesting so far", but in truth, it really hasn't. The first round of games in a tournament are usually cagey but the games so far in South Africa have been more so than any other modern tournament I care to remember, and the Germany game apart, there's been a real dearth of goals. I expect things to change in later games when teams realise they have to go for it or go home. For the sake of the tournament let's hope so.

It'll be interesting to see what Spanish side turn up tomorrow, and of course there's Brazil yet to play as well, although I'm not sure how well they can be judged on tonight's game against North Korea. Until now there's only been two sides who've shown they may have the quality to last the distance - Argentina and Germany. Argentina should have won by far more than one goal against a decent enough Nigeria outfit, and looked so comfortable throughout. They also have a side who appear ready to run through a brick wall for their manager - sort of the opposite of Domenech's France. Germany were awesome against Australia, and were cruising long before the atrocious red card decision for Cahill. Where England and their so-called 'Golden Generation' players looked typically wooden, naive and bereft of ideas against the USA, Germany and their relatively unknown young team blew away their opponents with a superb, inventive display of quick passing and clinical attacking play. And then there's Miroslav Klose - another tournament, another Klose goal. England are going to want to win their group and avoid the Germans after that display. For all the usual hype - and I don't dislike England - they really only have two truly world class players, Rooney and Ashley Cole. I still think England are better than France and Italy however, both of whom look like they're in the second tier of world football at the moment, though I've a sneaky feeling the Italians will come back and prove me wrong on that.

The African teams have been quite poor so far, although Ghana and Ivory Coast's results keep them in it. I can't see PLG's Cameroon coming back after yesterday's dreadful result against Japan. Would love to see the South Africans set the tournament alight by causing an upset tomorrow.

Paraguay and South Korea are among the early front-runners for dark horse of the tournament, though the Koreans did come up against a pretty woeful Greece. Ha Ha Samaras.

Edited by Norris Cole

The WC is there for the taking this year. Only Germany and Argentina have looked like they are up for it. When I saw brazil's starting XI I wasnt convinved they would give NK a hiding.

Spain should be rubbing their hands right now. They are the in form team and have the most impressive squad.

The 2nd games in the group stages HAVE to be better. Teams know they need 3 points or it could be all over.

The dark horse so far has been Paraguay, they were probably better than Italy.

Still very early days though.

The WC is there for the taking this year. Only Germany and Argentina have looked like they are up for it. When I saw brazil's starting XI I wasnt convinved they would give NK a hiding.

Spain should be rubbing their hands right now. They are the in form team and have the most impressive squad.

The 2nd games in the group stages HAVE to be better. Teams know they need 3 points or it could be all over.

The dark horse so far has been Paraguay, they were probably better than Italy.

Still very early days though.

Agreed mate, second games in theory should be much better. So far i'm super let down by the tournament. Poor quality, no real flashes of skill, except Messi. Some of the games have been down right horrible to watch Holland/Den i turned off after 30mins. An then them fU***** horn things, they do my nut in. You can't hear the different songs or atmospheres each individual nation brings. All i can hear is one big fucking beehive.

Please please get better WC.