I think it was another WC case of a team failing to capitalise on early pressure. I thought England were unlucky. I quite like the English, I just dislike their media/commentators. I don't think you should ever misunderestimate (!) the American sporting mentality, though; that combined with a good quality of player means they'll always be difficult to beat. A decent game interrupted only by a huge fire across the road from us! Fires are mad.

I can see how you could say "England were unlucky" - but by the same token the same could be said of the US. England had more shots on goal and were a touch unlucky at times - Heskey is gash - his 1-on-1 should have been a goal - I would have been confident of scoring that.

Again, that said, the US had a few chances - Altidore could have had a hat-trick.

First player mentioned for today's game on our commentary.... Madjid Bougherra (although they pronounced it BoughArra), who plays with Glasgow Rangers - always feels good to hear that.

I can see how you could say "England were unlucky" - but by the same token the same could be said of the US. England had more shots on goal and were a touch unlucky at times - Heskey is gash - his 1-on-1 should have been a goal - I would have been confident of scoring that.

Again, that said, the US had a few chances - Altidore could have had a hat-trick.

Messe had a great 1-on-1 chance earlier in the day that he'd normally have scored. Playing for Barca he'd maybe have had the composure to chip the goalie, but he's under a lot of pressure to score the easy ones for his country and he'll miss quite a few of them when he'd normally score them at club level (unlike Heskey, who is indeed gash! :D ).

Having allowed the Dry Blackthorn, drunk in homage to our southern cousins, to settle on an unquiet stomach, I'm more disappointed in England and Capello than I was last night. The abiding image of the match is Emile Heskey, lumbering around for all the World like Frankenstein's monster, battering players left and right, or holding up the ball to little result. The image got so strong in my mind that at one point I expected to see the US defenders chase him about wielding pitchforks and burning torches.

Unsophistication doesn't come more blunt than the big man. I'd love to see him at Rangers, for in the SPL he would be a sensation; but we're talking the World Cup here and it's not the beautiful game, is it? Other than Crouch, who offers more but isn't especially silky, what strikers have England taken? I know they left Bent behind which baffles me. With Lennon on one wing and Wright Phillips on the other any decent six yard box striker would have a field day. Add that to Rooney's genius and you have a mighty impressive front line.

Why are they persevering with the football of the 50s?

What frustrates me about the English is that they constantly moan irrespective of how well they do or the players they have , they constantly tinker with their formations and seem to be no nearer a settled formation or even have a back up plan .

For example they will never win this tournament with Rooney playing behind Heskey , Rooney was totally isolated last night .SWP is a waste of time and they will not play Hart even though he is by far the best keeper .

Also the numer of players they are relying on that have injuries is ridiculous

Having allowed the Dry Blackthorn, drunk in homage to our southern cousins, to settle on an unquiet stomach, I'm more disappointed in England and Capello than I was last night. The abiding image of the match is Emile Heskey, lumbering around for all the World like Frankenstein's monster, battering players left and right, or holding up the ball to little result. The image got so strong in my mind that at one point I expected to see the US defenders chase him about wielding pitchforks and burning torches.

Unsophistication doesn't come more blunt than the big man. I'd love to see him at Rangers, for in the SPL he would be a sensation; but we're talking the World Cup here and it's not the beautiful game, is it? Other than Crouch, who offers more but isn't especially silky, what strikers have England taken? I know they left Bent behind which baffles me. With Lennon on one wing and Wright Phillips on the other any decent six yard box striker would have a field day. Add that to Rooney's genius and you have a mighty impressive front line.

Why are they persevering with the football of the 50s?

Have to agree , with the exception of the wide players , dont rate SWP and lennon is just another Walcott tons of pace but very very little end result , and as you say unless you have a decent penalty box striker then he is wasted

England should also be looking at how Dempsey was able to get that shot away in the first place. I thought he got a bit lucky with the one in the second half, but that's keeper's for you. Listening to the Guardian's podcast, they were saying that according to stats, Green made the most in the PL last season which directly lead to a goal being conceded.

England should have won last night, I thought they were very poor. It was really strange listening to the commentary and the pundits, they didn't seem to be watching the same game that I was. Will be interesting to see if Algeria give it a go against England after watching that.

Another terrible goalkeeping error from the Slovenian goalkeeper there. They'll be blaming the ball, no doubt rather than their pisspoor technique and failure to get properly behind the ball.