I'm uncertain what game the ITV people were watching; 'dominated'? Don't think so. Surprised by the level of the USA, though.

Why don't England play Joe Hart? He's top class. Who else do England play, apart from Algeria?

I'm uncertain what game the ITV people were watching; 'dominated'? Don't think so. Surprised by the level of the USA, though.

Why don't England play Joe Hart? He's top class. Who else do England play, apart from Algeria?

The coverage of that game was at best patronising and at worst amateurish , as for Townsend what a knob , America deserved more than they got from an English team playing as if they had ever met before

I presume the English commentators suggested the English dominated the US ? what utter, utter pish. The US, even before they equalised, could have been up 2-1.

The US deserved at least a draw

They said that the save from Green in the second half was a great save but in my eyes Green was very lucky the ball hit the post. The angle of the shot was always a keepers ball but Green left too much space between him and the post. A weak palm let the ball get behind him and lucky for him onto the post. If he was positioned correctly and had a strong hand the ball would not have got near the goal.

I agree with Pete. Green was lucky with the one that hit the post. I thought Altidore should have hit across goal but it nearly went in anyway. England didnt create all that much and America looked just as likely to score. If Boogie's mob win today then Engerland are under pressure on Friday

Agree that the Green save was pretty lucky and that he shouldn't have tried to palm it the way he did, but I'm wondering if it's got something to do with the type of ball they're using in this WC. Earlier in the day (think it was before the Argentina game) the studio commentary team were talking about how the 'keepers have been complaining about the ball. I'm assuming that they're complaining because it's somehow extremely difficult to catch. Klinsmann in the studio was laughing and said something along the lines of it's 'all the better', presumably meaning it'll make the tournament more interesting if the keepers find it difficult to catch the ball and make mistakes.

I expected them to be extremely tough opposition for England after watching the Confederations Cup last year where they pumped out Spain and went 2-0 up on Brazil in the final. The English commentary was overly cocky as usual though and didn't give the USA team enough respect.

Something I noticed about England's attacking play is that more often than not Rooney takes up a position in the box and poises himself for a pass or cross very similar to how Boyd often played for us, but in Rooney's case I think he's got enough skill to sit deeper, find space and run at the box more like the way Messe often plays, although in no way could you actually compare Rooney to Messe because Rooney isn't fit to lace Messe's boots. Anyway, Rooney's best chances of the game came when he did exactly that - sat deeper and ran at the box with the ball.

Edited by Zappa