FIngers crossed.

World Cup 2010: South Africa ponders vuvuzela ban

South Africa's World Cup organising chief Danny Jordaan may ban vuvuzelas from inside stadiums after complaints from broadcasters and supporters.

The constant sound of the high-pitched horn-like instrument has so far drowned out much of the atmosphere-generating singing usually associated with games.

And Jordaan, when asked if he would get rid of them, told BBC Sport: "If there are grounds to do so, yes.

"We did say that if any land on the pitch in anger we will take action."

France captain Patrice Evra has already blamed the noise generated by the vuvuzelas, which has been likened to the drone of thousands of bees, for his side's poor showing in their opening group game against Uruguay, which finished goalless.

He said: "We can't sleep at night because of the vuvuzelas. People start playing them from 6am.

"We can't hear one another out on the pitch because of them."

Jordaan conceded that while the noise was irritating for some people, they were doing all they could to minimise the impact.

"We've tried to get some order," he continued. "We have asked for no vuvuzelas during national anthems or stadium announcements. It's difficult but we're trying to manage the best we can.

"We've had some broadcasters and individuals [complaining] and it's something we are evaluating on an on-going basis."

Jordaan admitted he was not a huge fan of them himself. "I would prefer singing," he said.

"It's always been a great generator of a wonderful atmosphere in stadiums and I would try to encourage them to sing.

"In the days of the struggle (against apartheid) we were singing, all through our history it's our ability to sing that inspired and drove the emotions."

In that Ghana game there was at least one player booked for failing to respond to the whistle for offside and carrying on playing, when in actual fact he most likely couldn't even hear the whistle. I've got no idea how players are supposed to hear instructions being shouted from the sideline amidst that din. I've seen managers having to usher players off the field in order to be able to pass on a simple instruction or two. If they keep allowing the horns, they should give the managers a big chalk board to write instructions on and hold up.

Reminds me of the cricket in the 70s and early 80s, when the powers that be at Lords clamped down on West Indies fans beating their drums. It took away any atmosphere, and has been replaced by heavy drinking and the Barmy Army...which the powers that be hate as much as they did the drums. Get over it! There's only 3 and a bit weeks left then most of us will never here a vulva or whatever they're called again.

Germany mightily impressive, even before Cahill was sent off.

A cheeky bid for Ozil anyone? A swap deal with McCulloch maybe? :P

I know it's stating the obvious, but the biggest clubs in Europe are going to be after that lad after this World Cup. He's the type of player we need to find young, like 16/17, because when that standard of player gets any older they're sadly out of our league these days. No way Bremen will be able to hold on to him. The sad thing is, that even if we had scouts picking out players like that for us at a young age and they actually got some serious game time for us, we wouldn't be able to hold onto them for more than 1 or 2 seasons. It's a bit of a problem for us.. you could say... There's also the gamble aspect of it for a club with limited funds - we could have bought the Spanish lad Aaron for �£3m tops and he might have turned out to be worth a fortune, but he might not have, although IMO that would have been a worthier purchase than Lafferty.

All the videos of Aaron showed he had something special but Walter for his own reasons didn't play him. He hasn't really done it at Celta Vigo either. Wish we stuck with him this season although the transfer fee this season would have been too much for one player.

If Ozil keeps up his form Bayern will probably come calling, unless he is not keen on them then one from the Spanish top 4 or English top 4, maybe Italy as well.

I like the airhorn noise, it kinda gives it a world cup feeling....mind u I havent seen a game sober yet so I may change my mind tonight!

Germany are looking good so far. I thought the Aussies could have given them a game but obviously not.