I was loving the Germany game last night, with the attacking football and your real, actual goals, but I drifted off into a haze and started wondering about the names. It was a world where Podolski was no longer a Bosche striker and was instead a hard bitten, cynical Chicago Private Eye.

"God damn it, Podolski! The DA's gonna have my ass because of you!!!"

Per Mertesacker was no longer a cultured defender, but a dimwitted hod carrying builder's mate.

And the mildly interesting sight of two players called Swartzer and Wollmann playing against Germany, raising questions of national identity and migration.

So maybe the football isn't so riveting, after all.

Guest Flying Hippo

There hasn't been a single game so far that i would give higher than 6.5/10 to

The Germany game was best but until Australia had Cahill sent off it was drifting towards a bland second half

I thought Holland v Denmark could have been a good game but it never really got going.

I think most teams are a bit cagey in their first game except Germany.

Will be interesting to see Brazil and Spain - a lot of expectation on them.

Been a very insipid world cup so far I have to say. A few slightly bright moments but overall very underwhelming. No one has really stood out in either individual player or country.

As Gribz put it, the onus is on Brazil and Spain to brighten this tournament up.

Guest Flying Hippo

Delighted for New Zealand. Slovakia were diabolical and nothing like the side who ripped Northern Ireland apart in Belfast less than a year ago

Guest Flying Hippo

Another absolute dungfest so far. Have Mendes, Deco, or Liedson even touched the ball?

I've watched every European Championship and World Cup since 1992 and this is by far the worst of the lot. Absolute pish. Predictable, defensive football everywhere. Zzzzzzz

Guest Flying Hippo

Utter wank. Ronaldo barely touched the ball after the first 20 minutes. Drogba touched it once in 25 minutes. The whole game was summed up by Ivory Coast taking a short corner in the 93rd minute and the ref immediately blowing for full time. Abysmal.