UOTE=Bluedell;211123]Much of the criticism of Bain has been fair, although he appears to have stepped up his game when given more autonomy following SDM standing down as Chairman and has spoken very well whenever he gets the chance.

As for the debt, although we make less profit in the second half of the year, we do get in a chunk of the season ticket money for the following season prior to the year end. The year end debt should ben lower than the �£27m you mention but that in itself is probably too low as a half year estimate.

The accounts normally come out during August, but it was November last year, partly due to the issues with the bank. Who knows when the accounts will be issued this year? It could depend on how successful we are in the transfer market.

It should be a very interseting AGM this year and some very pertinent questions need asked , would it be possible to have a thread on here in preperation for this years ,avoidance meeting , or is that not needed .

It would be much better if we could get some questions prepared instead of the usual rabble.

im sick of the bs comming out of ibrox. at the end of last season we were told that we would have money to spend and we wouldnt have to sell any players. i was informed the day before thompson was sold that thompson, wilson and mcgregor would be sold with bougherra leaving at xmas. two out of the four so far have come true.

ill also wager that the sum total of any players comming in will not exceed the the value of those going out the door.

Have to say that i think bain has been a very good servant to Rangers. I think he has been unfairly criticised by sections of the support which is not right! The very fact he has came out and spoken fairly honestly IMO is to be commended as this very rarely happens at our club these days!

When he speaks of the player provisions - i think that about �£8-9M was paid last year for this after we announced a interim profit of �£13M, which then brought the debt down to around �£27M. However, in the second half of a season is where football clubs dont make as much money coz the season ticket money has been counted etc and so i think that the debt may be slightly more than that, currently. Will have to wait and see come the next financial results. When are these due out btw?

I don't understand that how an winning club like Rangers (OK if your a club that has no chance of silverware, like Scumtic last year) does not make more money in the second half of the season with extra games in the various cup runs (with TV add ons etc) plus fees for winning said cup and league?

Guest Guivarc'h
im sick of the bs comming out of ibrox. at the end of last season we were told that we would have money to spend and we wouldnt have to sell any players. i was informed the day before thompson was sold that thompson, wilson and mcgregor would be sold with bougherra leaving at xmas. two out of the four so far have come true.

ill also wager that the sum total of any players comming in will not exceed the the value of those going out the door.

Far from me sticking up for Bain, but we haven't sold a single player who had more than 12 months left on their contract. Either the players rejected a new contract or were sold because we couldn't risk another Boyd scenario. I won't panic until someone like Davis or McGregor is sold.

It is just me or does it seem that some of the figures just don't add up?

We may not be rolling in it but with a turnover of around 50M, surely we can afford a first team squad of more than 16 on about 15 grand a week?

I thought a club was considered well run if it's wages only took up 50% of turnover so even at �£45M we should be able to afford 22.5M in wages - suggesting being able to afford a squad size of at least 22 on various wages. Just where is the rest of the money going?

There are plenty of lower EPL and Championship teams as well as all over Europe who have similar turnovers to us or less, yet they are not trying to stay up or getting promoted or win stuff on a squad as small as ours.

We struggle last season through injury crises with a squad of about 20, but pulled through to win the league in the end: how are we supposed to do that again with 16? It just seems like an incompetent way to run a club or any business - you don't cut back staff so much it badly affects vital operations and competitiveness in the market - especially when the business is already running lean and reasonably solid as a going concern.

It seems there will be a lot of people happy that we're playing teams full of teenagers but I don't think they are going to enjoy the results.

I think even if a club our size pays the bank back at 2M a year plus 1.5M in interest, there should be cash available for staff. With the bonus of CL money this year plus money coming in from player sales, now is the time to invest in the team to sustain us over the next 4 seasons.

I just can't believe that the finances are that bad with a very serviceable debt of �£25M when it's 50% of turnover.

Boyd was offered �£18,000 a week and �£4000 a game. He knocked it back.

Nobody has mentioned this quote above from the Bain article!!!. How can he turn down such an offer from the club he is supposed to support????. I think Boyd will regret this move,hopefully.

If we can start the season with a pool of 20 players and have some of the young players breaking through to add to the first team I will be happy ehough with that tbh. Our debt is reducing all the time, although why it was allowed to get that bad in the first place is disgraceful and should never have been allowed to happen. But at the end of the day we are STILL the champions and believe we can/will compete to retain the title. The BHEASTS are desperately trying to build a team to win it back from us, but I'm not too worried about them. Onwards and upwards, we are the champions and we welcome the chase

Guest Northampton_loyalist
It is just me or does it seem that some of the figures just don't add up?

We may not be rolling in it but with a turnover of around 50M, surely we can afford a first team squad of more than 16 on about 15 grand a week?

I thought a club was considered well run if it's wages only took up 50% of turnover so even at �£45M we should be able to afford 22.5M in wages - suggesting being able to afford a squad size of at least 22 on various wages. Just where is the rest of the money going?

There are plenty of lower EPL and Championship teams as well as all over Europe who have similar turnovers to us or less, yet they are not trying to stay up or getting promoted or win stuff on a squad as small as ours.

We struggle last season through injury crises with a squad of about 20, but pulled through to win the league in the end: how are we supposed to do that again with 16? It just seems like an incompetent way to run a club or any business - you don't cut back staff so much it badly affects vital operations and competitiveness in the market - especially when the business is already running lean and reasonably solid as a going concern.

It seems there will be a lot of people happy that we're playing teams full of teenagers but I don't think they are going to enjoy the results.

I think even if a club our size pays the bank back at 2M a year plus 1.5M in interest, there should be cash available for staff. With the bonus of CL money this year plus money coming in from player sales, now is the time to invest in the team to sustain us over the next 4 seasons.

I just can't believe that the finances are that bad with a very serviceable debt of �£25M when it's 50% of turnover.

at first glance it makes little sense, but your figures only really work if we were starting from debt free or close to it. We could spend now what we can cover with incoming money but it means the debt would remain at the same level it is. With that debt comes interest too. Once we have cleared the debt or at least got it down to insignificant levels then we will be able to spend more than we are now because we wont be both eating into �£30 odd million owed nor paying interest on high debts. The fact the debt has seemingly 'only' come down to 27-25 or whatever shows that while we are moving in the right direction, it is by no means a case of being nearly over. The debt is only servicable if the person that holds the debt allows it to be and currently the bank to not appear willing to wait 30 years for their money.

On the squad size, Smith played very few games, Beasley likewise and while Thommo and Boyd played far more, we have cover for them (although the quality is, lets say, debatable) Most of the guys who have gone over the last wee while have been guys that were litterally getting paid for a maximum of 10 games a year. Which ever way you paint it that is folly, for a club in our situation, more so. There is no way you can convince me that replacing Steve Smiths contirbution with a teenager is going to seriously hamper us, Beasley likewise and most of the other fringe players too.

People are looking at the situation and seeing kids playing 30 games plus. The truth is we will still have a full first 11 of senior pros and more than likely 5 or 6 replacements for them from the senior ranks. For a youngster to get a prolonged run there will need to be several players out in one position. Up front we have Laffs, Naisy, Miller, Velicka with Fleck having decent experience. At centre back we have Webster, Weir and Bougie with Broadfoot, Papac and even McCulloch who can cover. Midfield has similar numbers and with the exception of fullback we have decent cover all over the park, with a little shuffling that is. At the end of the day, if a kid cant come in and play at a decent level against most of the dross in the SPL then we have bigger problems than we feared. Hell, we can win a cup final against SPL opposition with 9 men so if we cant carry a kid against the same on the odd occasion we are really struggling.

Edited by Northampton_loyalist

When people start worrying about losing Kenny Miller in a transfer window, that's a signal to me that we're at a low point personnel-wise. Miller has generally played the best football of his career since coming back, but that doesn't mean he'll keep it up. Most fans didn't even want him to come back & not because of his wander into the dark side, but because they didn't rate him as a striker. I didn't rate him myself & still have my apprehensions about his value in the side, but as things stand we actually need the guy big time because without Miller & Boyd our SPL-winning attack is gone.