Part two of that Q&A.

Q: What about external investment? Have you shelved the idea of finding a new buyer for the club?

A: I would be completely wrong to shelve any kind of avenue which might bring investment into the club. But the ownership side of it is a matter for David Murray. David would still say he is not going to stand in the way of the right people - people who could improve the welfare of Rangers. My own take is I fundamentally believe that if Rangers is to maintain the stature that it has throughout the world and in the Scottish environment then outside investment is needed urgently.

There are other clubs across the planet who face the same problems. The difference - the thing that makes Rangers unique - is that we have a responsibility to continue to compete for trophies. We wholeheartedly accept that responsibility.

Q: Do you and Walter believe you have the players to win next season's title?

A: We will never start off a season not believing we can win the championship but the reality is it's going to be a difficult one - perhaps the hardest one yet.

But I would temper that by saying, if the fans show patience and continue to buy season tickets, and we can bring the right three players over the line before the end of the transfer window, then it will give us a much better chance than we would appear to have at the moment.

Walter has a core of players he can rely upon. But he needs to add quality. What we don't need is to bring in last minute.com players who don't add value to the club.

Q: Players such as Jerome Rothen you mean. Lesson learned?

A: That was a painful lesson. We felt we needed to add something to the squad and had been looking for a wide player. It didn't work out. But for every Rothen there is a Bougherra or a Davis.

That's the kind of quality we need.

Walter wants a wide player but he talks to managers across Europe who are all chasing the same thing. Everyone wants good wingers - the difference is these clubs have �£40m to spend and they still can't land one. That's what makes it such a hard job.

Q: How would you describe your relationship with Walter Smith? Is it being tested by this predicament?

A: Walter and I are working together.

We know what is required. In fact, he phoned me from Bangkok earlier today during the stop-over on the flight to Australia and made me laugh.

He said the only reason he was phoning was to ask if I had sold another player yet! I said no but I told him to check back in once he landed in Sydney!

We both know how difficult is but we also know the players we want to go for. We also knew this was inevitable. It is about bringing cash in now to make the pot as big as we can.

We don't want to end up selling people at the end of the window and then not have time to spend it.

We know it looks bad to be going to Australia with 13 players but if the fans have faith we will sort this out.

No, we won't have tens of millions to spend but we are doing what needs to be done.

Who was asking these questions and why are they accepting the answers and not hitting back with more questions related to the subject he just answered? Or was the questions not done face 2 face, was it just questions that were sent in?

So the reality is, after the rhebels preceding waffle, is mibees aye mibees naw...

But I would temper that by saying that if the fans show patience and continue to buy season tickets - and if we can manage to bring the right three players over the line before the end of the transfer window - then it will give us a much better chance than we would appear to have at the moment."

Quote, The debt has come down but we are still paying for past transfers. That means, if we make �£10m it doesn't automatically come off the total of our debt.

The only query i have with that statement is, did Rangers not make provision in last years accounts to clear off ALL remaining debts owed to other clubs for players transfers ABOUT �£8MIL, which was shown in the accounts and accounted for then. We have not bought a player for two years so how can we still owing monies to other clubs???

Edited by aweebluesoandso

Quote, The debt has come down but we are still paying for past transfers. That means, if we make �£10m it doesn't automatically come off the total of our debt.

The only query i have with that statement is, did Rangers not make provision in last years accounts to clear off ALL remaining debts owed to other clubs for players transfers ABOUT �£8MIL, which was shown in the accounts and accounted for then. We have not bought a player for two years so how can we still owing monies to other clubs???

That was my first thought, who can we be still paying for?

The chairman suggested as much at the AGM.

Perhaps, Bain means that any profit from last year (i.e. to June 30th 1010) went towards that.

Good read and good answers from Bain who has improved a lot in the last year.

Id really like to see the list (if any) of potential targets WS has at the moment. Id imagine Eagles would have been top of the list so I cant see anyone better than him. I still dont know why we dont look at eastern europe, the likes of the Croatians, Russians, Ukrainians, Bulgarians, Greeks are all technically sound and a lot of them wont be on high wages.

Also, 3 players just isn't enough. You can't lose all those players who could reasonably expect to start a game, and replace them with just 3 players 'of a decent standard'. Making a big deal of promising that is like some company taking double the amount off on a direct debit and saying not to worry, that they'll promise to pay most of it back so long as you're patient. GRRRR.

I totally agree 3 players just isn't enough if we have another injury problem like last year where we just managed to get by what will it be like now?

I also find that we are being linked with season pro's who are unlikely to get us a return on the money we pay for them. Not good business sense imo if the bank/club want to look at like that, loans imo shouldn't be looked at either.

The chairman suggested as much at the AGM.

Perhaps, Bain means that any profit from last year (i.e. to June 30th 1010) went towards that.

We aren't in the 11th century, Frankie ;)