Rangers have agreed a �£1.5million fee with Stoke City for James Beattie.

I really dont understand this Rangers traditionalist view.

It's because the people who know what it is think it's beneath them to actually say what it is. Or those that are willing to say, it turns out to be fairly common sense things that people believe anyway. It's better to have integrity than not etc. I agree with everything wabash says, but it's not tradition, it's just decency. And he's right to say the custodian has fallen short of that. I think it's quite often just used as an ellaborate way of saying "I'm a better supporter than you are, even though I can't say why".

I really dont understand this Rangers traditionalist view.

When did anything become tradition at the club? The club of the 60's resembled little the club of the 20's. The club of the 20's resembled little the club at it's foundation. When did the cut off come and nothing was ever allowed to change after that point?

The club has evolved to suit it's environment from the first time a ball was kicked. That it still does evolve should be no surprise, Rangers has always and will always change.

The people who cry 'we are not what we once were!!', We are not what we once were when exactly? did you arbitrarily pick a year and that is how the club is to continue ad infinitum? did you pick a year that you think we should hold as the fountain of future endevour? Should the club not evolve to suit it's surroundings but hold to views that are long out-dated in the context of modern sport?

Ask yourself a question, would Struth have held to values from 30 years before his birth if he thought they were not the best idea for the club or would/did Struth employ current values and contempory thinking to make the best of his job?

I don't have to ask any question, I know and knew the values of Struth, Symon and Lawrence, simply Rangers values, I have said all I intend saying on this subject, I am comfortable with my view on Rangers and our history and traditions, if others are not that is their prerogative.

Guest Northampton_loyalist
I don't have to ask any question, I know and knew the values of Struth, Symon and Lawrence, simply Rangers values, I have said all I intend saying on this subject, I am comfortable with my view on Rangers and our history and traditions, if others are not that is their prerogative.

I m not saying you shouldnt be, I am trying to pin down what year 'Rangers traditions' came about.

When Struth implimented his ideas, he broke from tradition (or 'created', either way, his time with us was a departure from the norm, was he right or wrong?

Do you think the club should stiop evolving?

Oh, and no need for the defensivness, it is a perfectly civil discussion. or was at any road.

Bmck has it bang to rights. All this Rangers way stuff is just a fancy way of explaining a few simple sentances that any decent human being should strive for anyway.

The club evolves, it always has and always will. within that there are standards that should be upheld. Some have been, others most certainly have not.

Now there is a tradition going in the huff when you can't win.:thup:

Win ? you are taking the piss but not very well, the previous posts were obviously over your head, here's a little tester for you...what do you call 53 titles ..luck or history...:giruy:

What a poor reply. I won't even lower myself to answer it.

Nothing to do with Rangers, but plenty. I think you're bizarrely vain to think I'd feel the need to justify myself to you.

Plenty what? Plenty words or just plenty imagination? (nothing to do with Rangers :D)

Same old attempted superiority from you though ... at least some things don't change ;)

Edited by maineflyer

Back on Topic:)

James Beattie was at Ibrox yesterday to begin negotiations on a move from Stoke City, but Walter Smith insists that he is not yet resigned to losing out on Nikica Jelavic.

Rangers are also awaiting permission from Portsmouth to speak to Tommy Smith, after agreeing to meet the administrator�s valuation for the player.

The deal to bring Jelavic to Glasgow has been protracted, despite a fee, of around �£4m, seemingly having been agreed and the Croatian internationalist expressing a desire to move to Rangers. Little headway has been made this week, but Smith is not yet prepared to give up on the deal.

ââ?¬Å?Itââ?¬â?¢s not the end of that, weââ?¬â?¢ll still be looking to try to progress that one,ââ?¬Â he said, ââ?¬Å?but your patience starts to run a bit thin with the problems that have been occurring over the last two or three weeks. The longer it goes the more unlikely it becomes. There are two or three elements involved that are causing complications. We donââ?¬â?¢t seem to be able to get a resolution with any of them. I would hope that we can do that one, but weââ?¬â?¢ll have to wait and see. Itââ?¬â?¢s not dead yet.ââ?¬Â

A Ã?£1.5m fee has been agreed for Beattie, and the striker met Smith to discuss a potential move to Ibrox. The 32-year-old would bring strength and vigour to the forward line, and is believed to be keen on playing in the Champions League. Wages will be a potential stumbling block. Rangers are also hopeful of making progress with Smith, and the Ibrox manager believes that all three signings could potentially be accommodated in his budget. ââ?¬Å?We could stretch to [all three],ââ?¬Â he said. ââ?¬Å?It just depends on the outcome of all three of them, and what itââ?¬â?¢s going to cost, which is still debatable. Conceivably, we could take the three if we have to.ââ?¬Â

One piece of business done and dusted yesterday when midfielder Lee McCulloch signed a two-year contract extension with the club.

Rangers moved to tie the 32-year-old to Ibrox until 2013 in the wake of interest in the player from south of the border. It is understood Ipswich and Blackpool were keen to sign the former Wigan player but he has pledged his future to Rangers, instead.

ââ?¬Å?I know the club are trying to secure the players who are going to be out of contract next year and there are efforts being made to bring in new faces, too,ââ?¬Â said McCulloch.

ââ?¬Å?I want to be a part of things at Rangers and now Iââ?¬â?¢m really looking forward to the season ahead. My extension offer came about very quickly and it was a no brainer to sign.ââ?¬Â