Weiss officially signs - one year loan

Manchester City are sending Slovakia World Cup winger Vladimir Weiss to Rangers ââ?¬â?? for a bigger loan fee than Celtic offered.

Talented Weiss had the choice of moving to either Old Firm side but is heading for a medical and signing at Ibrox today.

He had a brief loan spell at Bolton last season. City had Premier League interest and from Stuttgart.

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Transfer-news-Vladimir-Weiss-has-joined-Rangers-on-loan-from-Manchester-City-and-rejected-Celtic-article558275.html#ixzz0x0KUNDdp

Also in tomorrows Daily Record that he is coming up for a medical.

Edited by CraigRFC

RANGERS have struck a deal to sign Manchester City kid Vladimir Weiss on a season-long loan.

The SPL champions swooped to secure their second signing of the summer from under the noses of Celtic.

SunSport can reveal Gers manager Walter Smith first enquired about the Slovakian midfielder six weeks ago just days after Hoops gaffer Neil Lennon declared his interest in him.

But Gers have won the race for the World Cup star after agreeing a fee with City late last night.

Weiss, 20, will jet into Glasgow today to complete his 12-month loan move.

City boss Roberto Mancini is convinced Weiss has a big future in the Premier League but wants him to gain more first-team experience.

It's understood the fact Gers are playing in the Champions League was a major plus for Mancini.

Weiss, who spent the second half of last season on loan at Bolton, becomes Smith's second signing in a week following the arrival of James Beattie.

But Nikica Jelavic insists he hasn't a clue if he will join them at Ibrox after accusing Rapid Vienna of turning his on-off transfer to Gers into a farce.

The Croatian hitman is desperate to join Gers, but the Austrian outfit have vowed to start him in their crunch Europa League qualifier against Aston Villa tonight.

That would put his proposed �£4million move to Ibrox in serious doubt and the 24-year-old is furious at what he claims is a U-turn by Rapid.

Jelavic blasted: "For a month now, this transfer has been a theatre.

"I never know where I stand. On Monday, I almost signed for Rangers, Rapid wanted to sell me and everything was clear. And then it wasn't.

"I wanted to go to Glasgow ahead of the game against Aston Villa, but for now, I must assume I'll play against Villa.

"I've always dreamed of playing in Britain and I have not given up on that."

Gers have had a bid accepted by Rapid and Jelavic has agreed a �£15,000-a-week deal.

But it's understood Rapid could now be set to pull the plug on the deal IF they see off Villa and reach the Europa League group stages.

Speaking exclusively to SunSport Rapid president Rudolf Edlinger revealed: "We will decide what happens after the games against Villa."

Advertisement

Rangers hoped to have the striker, who scored 21 times last season, in the squad to face Hibs at Easter Road on Sunday.

But the transfer saga looks set to rumble on.

Meanwhile, Georgie Welcome scored a hat-trick in a 5-0 bounce game win over Partick Thistle yesterday.

But, like fellow Gers trialists Nacer Barazite and Etienne Esajas, the Honduran is unlikely to be offered a deal.

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/3102316/Walter-gets-Weiss.html#ixzz0x0Lma64L

Guest Flying Hippo

I'm sticking by what i said earlier. Weiss is not a winger but that is where he will be utilised. Why not just stick with our own kid Fleck?

I'm sticking by what i said earlier. Weiss is not a winger but that is where he will be utilised. Why not just stick with our own kid Fleck?

Weiss is a winger, but can play in a few different positions i.e attacking midfield and striker. He may not have started his career as a winger, but his sheer pace and skill has made him most effective there, so in my book, he is now a winger.

Rangers are ready to steal Celtic target Vladimir Weiss from under the noses of their bitter city rivals.

The Manchester City winger is set to be given a tour of Murray Park today, with a view to joining the SPL champions on a one-year loan.

And it could be an eventful few hours on the transfer front for Ibrox manager Walter Smith, who finally expects an answer on the long-running Nikica Jelavic saga by the close of business today.

Celtic remain keen on Weiss, with boss Neil Lennon speaking of his admiration for the Slovakian World Cup star only yesterday, while the 20-year-old has also expressed his willingness to move to Parkhead on loan.

But Rangers, who made first contact with City at the start of the close season, have stolen a march on the other half of the Old Firm.

While the right winger - who is available for a loan fee, plus wages - has a number of options, the Ibrox hierarchy believe that Weiss agreeing to tour the training ground and meet with Smith are encouraging signs.

Lennon yesterday declared his interest in 12-times capped Weiss, who featured in three games at the World Cup for a Slovakian side coached by his father, also Vladimir. The Celtic boss said: 'He is a player we have liked for a while.'

Rangers are also waiting to see if Jelavic turns out for Rapid Vienna in tonight's Europa League play-off tie against Aston Villa, with his involvement - or otherwise - now key to hopes of an agreement being reached.

The Croatian striker remains desperate to seal a �£4million transfer and last night accused Rapid of a U-turn in their handling of the affair.

The 24-year-old, who insisted he was set to fly into Glasgow on Monday to complete proceedings, said: 'For a month now, this transfer has been a theatre. I never know where I stand.

'On Monday, I almost signed for Rangers. Rapid wanted to sell me and everything was clear - then it wasn't.

'I wanted to go to Glasgow ahead of the game against Aston Villa but, for now, I must assume I'll play against Villa.'

Agent Velibor Momcilovic doesn't believe his player will be in the right frame of mind to face their English visitors.

He said: 'How can Nikica be expected to play with all his heart against Aston Villa? 'Nikica dreams of playing in the Champions League with Rangers. He has done so much for Rapid - now it's up to the club to repay him.'

But Rapid sporting director Alfred Hortnagl claimed yesterday that Rangers should be held responsible for killing the transfer.

He said: 'The fact is that Rangers approached Rapid and the talks were good.

'But, last Thursday, it was cancelled by Rangers because they informed us they were committed to signing another player.

'Admittedly, they came back to us on Sunday or Monday to reopen negotiations. But we couldn't just let such an important player go before a big game like this.'

If Jelavic features in the tie and Rapid eliminate Villa, he would become ineligible for Rangers' Champions League campaign.

Meanwhile, the Ibrox club will not be offering deals to any of their four recent trialists, including Honduras international striker Georgie Welcome, who had been training at Murray Park for a fortnight.

The others released are Nacer Barazite, Etienne Esajas and Salim Kerkar.

I thought Barazite might have been offered a deal.

A fee as well ?

Rangers are thought to have paid City a fee as well as agreed to match his wages, which are thought to be in the region of �£20000 a week.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/spl/rangers/rangers-win-the-race-for-manchester-city-winger-weiss-1.1049093

This sort of ball accuracy would be good.... http://video.msn.com/?mkt=en-gb&vid=45a1e583-2ae9-425c-8fea-35c19df8066c&from=sharepermalink

Edited by wabashcannonball

Rangers last night completed a stunning swoop from under the noses of Celtic for Slovakian World Cup star Vladimir Weiss.

Record Sport can reveal the 20-year-old Manchester City winger will report to Murray Park this morning to sign a season-long loan deal.

And while Ibrox chief executive Martin Bain was finalising the move late last night, Walter Smith's other top target Nikica Jelavic was considering walking out on Rapid Vienna ahead of their Europa League clash with Aston Villa tonight.

Anxious Rapid bosses even flew to Jelavic's hometown of Zagreb to hold crisis talks with the striker's family in a desperate bid to get the 24-year-old to play.

Jelavic has pleaded with the Austrians to let him fly to Glasgow to finalise a �£4million move that will see his wages increase from around �£3000 a week to a sum nearer �£20,000.

Bain now hopes to be finally given the go ahead to sign the Croatian star this morning even though Rapid continue to dig their heels in. But while that standoff continued Weiss was making arrangements to travel north to join up with the Light Blues.

The move is another huge transfer blow to Celtic boss Neil Lennon who has missed out on a number of big-name targets.

As late as yesterday afternoon Weiss was still on Lennon's radar but Celtic had no idea he was set to move to their rivals.

When asked about the Slovakian ace yesterday Lennon said: "Weiss is a player we've been looking at for some time."

Weiss has not made City's star-studded 25-man squad for the Premier League but is highly rated by manager Roberto Mancini who has given his blessing to the loan deal.

The move will come as a huge boost to Rangers boss Walter Smith who has been desperate to land a creative wide player.

Smith and Bain made their first cash signing in two years last week when they paid Stoke City �£750,000 for former England striker James Beattie.

Now Weiss has been tied up and Jelavic may soon follow as the crown jewel in Smith's limited summer spending spree.

Jelavic knows the deal could collapse if he is forced to play against Villa as he will then be cup-tied for Rangers' Champions League campaign.

He said: "If the club is asking me to play against Villa, I'll play. But I can hardly concentrate on the match when, over the past few days, I was sold several times. My head is all mixed up."

Jelavic trained on Tuesday but demanded talks with club chiefs and requested his immediate release before the Villa game.

This was rejected and his agent, Velibor Momcilovic, then told Rapid the player did not want to play for the club again.

He said: "Nikica wants to go to Rangers right away. His heart is already in Glasgow."

But Rapid sporting director Alfred Hortnagl insists Jelavic will play tonight.

He said: "It is simply too late to agree to the transfer. It would be irresponsible just before an important game against Villa to sell such a player and not have anyone to cover."