My heart agrees with you, but my head says it would be a dangerous gamble at best. Ok, we all want to see our youths producing the goods, but to throw them in against hardened older, more experienced players is undoubtedly a gamble! Are we willing to take the risk?

I am, although I understand what you are saying.

The league cup does not have the same stature as the Scottish Cup and has no route to European football. I would be prepared to write it off to give young players a shot.

If we want to attract and retain the best young players, there has to be the incentive of first team football. This gives them something to work for, and gives the club an opportunity to see what they can do.

Perhaps the solution could be to have say, 4 or 5 regular experienced pros, but 6 or 7 young players starting the match. (ETA) Much like what Frankie has proposed

I am, although I understand what you are saying.

The league cup does not have the same stature as the Scottish Cup and has no route to European football. I would be prepared to write it off to give young players a shot.

If we want to attract and retain the best young players, there has to be the incentive of first team football. This gives them something to work for, and gives the club an opportunity to see what they can do.

Perhaps the solution could be to have say, 4 or 5 regular experienced pros, but 6 or 7 young players starting the match. (ETA) Much like what Frankie has proposed

I'd be happy enough with that mate. The only thing I'd say is that I wouldn't be happy to 'write off' any silverware for the sake of giving youngsters experience. I agree that they should get the experience, but writing off competitions is something different.

I can see where you're coming from there Frankie, but Webster is injured, Fleck is injured, Velicka is returning from injury & Broadfoot is a bomb scare at left back.

And the competition runs until March which is why I only went with an example XI...

Happy to replace the players above with others in the mean-time... ;)

With our squad size? Too right!

I don't think anyone is suggesting we play XI youngsters, just take the chance to rotate effectively and give much needed experience to the pick of the bunch.

A team like the following would interest me more than going to a game with the usual faces actually:

:na:

:jm: :aw: :rp: :kb:

:al: :kh: :jf: :gw:

:av: :kl:

If Jelavic hasn't scored I would throw him instead of... well I'm not sure.

If Jelavic hasn't scored I would throw him instead of... well I'm not sure.

Good chance Velicka may be away anyway (on loan at least) so I wouldn't be averse to giving Jelavic and Beattie game time in such matches.

Would the sponsors be happy with all our speculations here? Isn't there some legal, or perhaps, tacit agreement that teams should field their strongest 11 to be eligble for the sponsorship money? Especially the OF?

Would the sponsors be happy with all our speculations here? Isn't there some legal, or perhaps, tacit agreement that teams should field their strongest 11 to be eligble for the sponsorship money? Especially the OF?

Wenger has done it with the league cup down south. Teams have been known to rest key players for the League ahead of European games so I would be shocked if there was any legal requirement for the strongest XI to play. If nothing else, it comes down to the manager's judgement as to who is the strongest XI at the time.