A Weiss choice?

It's fair to pick faults in his game because they definitely stand out and we pick faults in every player's game, but to give Weiss a little credit, it was one of his mazy run's at the defense yesterday which won us the free kick that Davis cracked off the bar and was very very nearly a goal. Then it was a lovely Weiss corner kick that had us with the ball in the back of the net for the dissallowed goal. Just saying .... he did contribute something rather than nothing.....

Wingers often have a poor final ball, but what they do contribute is hard to quantify. Weiss has had a lot of excellent games, and his willingness to run at defenders gives us the impetus in a way that's hard to measure in terms of assists and such things. He'd be in my starting 11 every week.

It isn't easy for genuine wingers in that, like you say, it is hard to qualify their contribution depending on how the team are playing in any given game.

Weiss is a good player and I like his attitude since he's joined us actually. He's been dropped, left out of the team and asked to do the dirty work in games he'd like to attack in. And, so far anyway, I've not seen him complain.

In that respect, he deserves our backing but I'd like to see him learn even more from the mistakes he does make.

It isn't easy for genuine wingers in that, like you say, it is hard to qualify their contribution depending on how the team are playing in any given game.

Weiss is a good player and I like his attitude since he's joined us actually. He's been dropped, left out of the team and asked to do the dirty work in games he'd like to attack in. And, so far anyway, I've not seen him complain.

In that respect, he deserves our backing but I'd like to see him learn even more from the mistakes he does make.

I think Weiss has shown not only this good attitude, but that he's willing to learn (defensive duties versus Valencia). He's far more talented for his age than anyone else we've had on the books for a long time and if anyone'll help him improve his game its our coaching staff. Hell, they've turned KM into a goalscorer and may yet turn Kyle Lafferty into a football player. The last thing we need is to get on his back as we seem to do with every incomplete youngster.

• 1 month later...

I remain distinctly disappointed with Weiss. He had a very bright start but really has deteriorated and is now simply awful. I've heard complaints that he's being played on the wrong wing, but I'm not sure if that excuses just how inneffectual he is these days.

Thoughts guys? Am I being too harsh?