I think the big part missing from those figures is the 9M of transfer fees we paid last year.

Take that out and hat would make the comparison more like a turnaround of say �£25M and a seasonally adjusted profit of about �£10M - meaning we may only need about 7M from Europe to break even. With the very significant cut in the squad this season, it looks like we need less (and that's with a possible net transfer spend of �£3M). Once you take out the CL bonuses if we don't qualify, it could be even less.

Still doesn't stack up too well though, and you have to wonder how Celtic and other clubs from low TV revenue countries are able to operate with a larger squad than ours.

I think the big part missing from those figures is the 9M of transfer fees we paid last year.

Take that out and hat would make the comparison more like a turnaround of say �£25M and a seasonally adjusted profit of about �£10M - meaning we may only need about 7M from Europe to break even. With the very significant cut in the squad this season, it looks like we need less (and that's with a possible net transfer spend of �£3M). Once you take out the CL bonuses if we don't qualify, it could be even less.

Still doesn't stack up too well though, and you have to wonder how Celtic and other clubs from low TV revenue countries are able to operate with a larger squad than ours.

I was talking about profit and not debt. ;) You can take the �£6m gain on sale of players out of the 2009 figures and it brings your �£25m back down again. :D

Also as the debt goes down , interest payements must also fall , therefore we may not be that far off break even if the worst happens and it is the Europa league , though the ticketing would need to be pretty good to get decent attendances

I was talking about profit and not debt. ;) You can take the �£6m gain on sale of players out of the 2009 figures and it brings your �£25m back down again. :D

Ok. So can you tell us what the profit/loss, for this year without taking into account player sales, registrations, fees and of course CL money? The accounts are always pretty confusing...

Ok. So can you tell us what the profit/loss, for this year without taking into account player sales, registrations, fees and of course CL money? The accounts are always pretty confusing...

Difficult to do without full knowledge of the club's accounting. Can be done though with a boat load of assumptions. I would take a stab but, unfortunately, being an accountant.... I am right in the middle of our own year end - it is a struggle to get our own financials done without analysing those of RFC.

Payments of debt are a balance sheet item (out of cash and also reduce debt, so no impact on profit/loss). CL cash would be profit as would ticket sales etc. Player sales may even depend upon whether we capitalise the player's values - I am sure we did this at one point - BD would know better whether we still do - if we do then the profit isnt simply sales price but also depends on what the "book value" of the player is on the books. And then wages, for example, we would just be guessing at how much of a wage we lost with all the outgoing players.

Without the Champions League group stage pot of gold it could potentially require a decade of spending very little before we're in the black zone pete. On the other hand, another 2 or 3 seasons in the CL group stages without spending too much and we could maybe be debt free.

Even if we're debt free what would that mean? How many teams in Europe are debt free? Debt is normal and whether we have it or don't I don't see much changing. We have owners unwilling to invest anything in the club and nobody is interested in us. And even if we got 'debt free', with the current regime we'd quickly get in debt again

I prefer to look forward than back and while SDM is certainly deserving of our criticism, we need to use our valid complaints wisely if we're to be a real part of the club.

I sympathise with the club's position and I don't think we have much to gain from playing the blame game. However, the situation is poor, communication with the club's biggest remaining investors dreadful and Murray remains the sole person responsible for this.

We need to be asking questions of him to find the solutions we seek.

What you're actually saying (rightly) is that, despite the greatest crisis to hit the club in modern times, nothing has actually changed, including the man at the root of this crisis, David Murray. Nor is there any sign of anything changing in future. In fact, as the crisis inevitably deepens, so does the disrespect in which the support appears to be held by those owning and running the club. It's important to acknowledge that this is not a situation created by the fans and is hardly the climate in which you should be abandoning what you call the blame game. It may sound mature and constructive to do so but I say again, this isn't a problem of our making and I'm damned if I'm going to absolve Murray or those who have allowed him to destroy what far better men and women built over generations. I blame the bastard right enough, totally, and there will be no forgetting or forgiving from this direction.

Edited by maineflyer

I prefer to look forward than back and while SDM is certainly deserving of our criticism, we need to use our valid complaints wisely if we're to be a real part of the club.

I sympathise with the club's position and I don't think we have much to gain from playing the blame game. However, the situation is poor, communication with the club's biggest remaining investors dreadful and Murray remains the sole person responsible for this.

We need to be asking questions of him to find the solutions we seek.

Absolutely Frankie. From a professional point of view the club has to look forward and involve us in their strategy/decision making. Particularly if and when the club deals with representation bodies, there's no point in blaming Murray for what we're all too aware of what he's done. We do however, need to learn from the past for us to move on.

Blasting Murray is okay if done in the right place like message boards, pub etc. The board or Walter will certainly never criticise Murray and I suspect any new owner, if we ever get one, will never do it either.

In saying that, the only way we can ever really move on is when Murray's bought out and the club can make decisions without interference from the bank or parent companies'.