Lloyds Give Whyte Go Ahead

Guest Bonkle Bear
I thought I would have been excited,but I'm actually a wee bit worried!!!,don't know why as getting rid of the cancer that is SDM should have me cheering,but I just think the uncertainty of what Whyte will do with our club has me cautious to say the least,surely he can't be any worse than SDM???

A lot of fans seem to be getting carried away on other message boards and twitter on the back of this news.

Without knowing anything about Whyte's intentions or his financial capability I find it strange that some are getting as carried away as they are. While it would obviously be fantastic to be debt free (and finally rid of SDM) we do not know if that will actually be the case. Until we know more about Whyte we should all be sceptical.

Guest Pokeherface

Optimism tinged with scepticism is certainly the right way forward.

the hoops to be jumped through kind of indicate that this is not just seen as a generator of quick bucks for Whyte but if he has an exit strategy we could be going through another takeover in 5 or so years and we dont know what kind of club we will have to be sold. Indications are all we have and as such, we need to be wary. The welcome mat should be rolled out if the deal goes through but we should have snipers on the roof of the main stand just incase.

A great off-shoot of any deal, if it happens, will be that a huge dividing factor in the support will be gone. Wounds wont just heal but scabs will begin to form and we might actually be able to move on from the internicine squabbles and petty bullshit when Murray exits stage left.

Slippery Daves tenure at our club near approaches, how good or bad Whyte is to be nobody knows time will tell.

If what we hear and read is true i will give him the benefit of the doubt, if a takeover of our club isn't forth coming i fear the worst, Whyte is not borrowing money to buy us out so we will be debt free, a situation we didn't see coming and Ally will have a chance to build a team for next season.

Nobody takes us over and if big IF we got hit with a tax bill we would end up in administration, the bank want there money back.

So i am glad this is all coming to an end.

Bank paves way for Whyte's Rangers takeover

30 March 2011 13:06 GMT

STV understands the Lloyds Banking Group has agreed a package of measures to resolve Rangers' debt, paving the way for Craig Whyte to complete his takeover of the club.

A source close to the deal between Rangers and Whyte has told STV the asking price for the club will now be adjusted from �£32 million to a figure of �£25-28 million.

Lloyds are said to be happy with the takeover proposal being put forward by Whyte and have supported him in his approach for the club. It is now up to Whyte and Murray International Holdings to complete the deal, which will see Whyte acquire a 92 per cent stake in the club.

A figure of �£4 million between Rangers and Lloyds will be paid in instalments after Whyte moved to renegotiate the terms and conditions of the debt, rather than paying the outstanding amount in full up front.

It is understood Whyte is yet to view and sign off the paperwork which would move him a significant step closer to finalising a deal. Nonetheless, the approval of Lloyds for the takeover to proceed marks a significant step towards his purchase.

Whyte met with the Rangers board of directors and manager Walter Smith on Tuesday to discuss the takeover. He has previously promised to invest Ã?£25 million in Rangers’ playing squad over the course of the next five seasons.

Whyte's deal also includes a 25 per cent stake which will eventually be controlled by Andrew Ellis, who failed last year with a takeover bid of his own.

STV Sport

So we won't be debt free?

Surely the fact all speculation and talk comes to an end and we would be moving again would be the first good thing to think about. As for the direction we move in that will come giving time.

I dont expect any change on the playing side of things, we arent going to be signing big names or paying big wages and we would be silly to do so at this stage. Its all about steady progress.

Im just hoping we dont take 1 step forward then 2 back and have a team mainly made up of average SPL run of the mill players while selling off our top assets....id imagine thats worst case.