Summer Transfer thread - fun while it lasted!

I just wish for the love of god we stop sharing our transfer targets with the world! Every bloody time we are linked with someone! Somebody else gazumps our targets! arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!! :(

Yep, it's just sticking them right on the radar for other clubs and bumping up the player's value. Not smart at all if we're seriously interested in them.

I just wish for the love of god we stop sharing our transfer targets with the world! Every bloody time we are linked with someone! Somebody else gazumps our targets! arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!! :(

IMHO we would be naive in the extreme to think that we would be the only team looking at the likes of Goodwillie, Verhoek, Hemed etc etc.

If any of us think, for just one minute, that the only reason Ajax "gazumped" us for Verwhoek is because our interest was public then in my very humble opinion, we collectively need our heads read.

Ajax would have been more than aware of him. Even if we made a bid that word would get around to the footballing community - very, very few transfers are done these days secretively - largely because an agent wants the best deal for his player. If Rangers get a bid accepted an agent wont want them as the only interested party, the more clubs that are interested in the same player the better the bargaining is for that player in terms of salary (and hence the higher fee the agent will earn).

Yep, money has somewhat ruined what used to be known as the beautiful game.

Wiki, that font of all knowledge and ALL of which is quite obviously FACTUAL.... is suggesting that Werhoek has indeed signed for Ajax and is only getting 6k a week !!! That is insane for a guy who was in the Eredivisie team of the season last year.

If that is the case, we should have at least pushed the boat out and matched Ajax's offer - if we could have gotten him for 6k a week (again, I doubt that the reported number on wiki is correct) then paying the 1.7 mill would be a small risk for a young player with sell-on value.

However, it could just as easily be that he wanted to go to Ajax and we wouldnt have been able to tempt him anyway.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12874_7077790,00.html

Rangers boss Ally McCoist has confirmed his interest in Arsenal striker Rhys Murphy.

As reported by skysports.com, the 20-year-old striker played for Gers in a behind closed doors game against Hamilton on Monday, which ended in a 2-1 win for McCoist's men.

Middlesbrough are also interested in the player but McCoist says he will return north of the border again next week for the Scottish champions to take another look at him.

He said on Tuesday: "Rhys Murphy came up and played a closed doors game for us yesterday and did fine.

"He's gone back home, he has an international next week and he is going to come up and join us again towards the end of next week for the following week's training just to have a look at him."

Wiki, that font of all knowledge and ALL of which is quite obviously FACTUAL.... is suggesting that Werhoek has indeed signed for Ajax and is only getting 6k a week !!! That is insane for a guy who was in the Eredivisie team of the season last year.

If that is the case, we should have at least pushed the boat out and matched Ajax's offer - if we could have gotten him for 6k a week (again, I doubt that the reported number on wiki is correct) then paying the 1.7 mill would be a small risk for a young player with sell-on value.

However, it could just as easily be that he wanted to go to Ajax and we wouldnt have been able to tempt him anyway.

I wonder how much Verhoek is getting at Ajax.

;)