Summer Transfer thread - fun while it lasted!

My vrouw's Ajax supporting son asked me last night if we had signed Verhoek, so he doesn't seem to have any info on what's happeing with him either!

Although the Dutch and German languages are very similar, the Dutch much prefer to speak English, some actually hate the Germans. It's a war thing. Remember Advocaat being very cool to Albertz!!!

IMHO it is a post-war West-Germany / Netherlands thing ... and very much related to football at that. Started roundabout the 1988 European Championships, if I remember correctly. (Not saying that some Dutch dislike the Germans because of WW II as well.)

Guest Dutchy

I can only go by what the the native Dutchers tell me, and of course, the papers were full of it when Advocaat was not too keen on playing Albertz.

I don't think hatred is an exact science, as some Dutch people here seem to like Germans a lot. If fact, I'm so close to the border, I'm going to Goch on Saturday and many folks, Germans and Dutch, work in cross-border jobs.

I'm happy with everyone, unless they give me grief, like anyone else really.

He scored an OG V the Red Bulls at the weekend there. I was shocked when I realised it was him.

He only got 15 mins at the end of that game. That was all he played in the whole tournament. Seems to me they still see him as one for the future and not one who would feature that often this season.

He only got 15 mins at the end of that game. That was all he played in the whole tournament. Seems to me they still see him as one for the future and not one who would feature that often this season.

I'd happily have him back, my post was no dig.

I'd happily have him back, my post was no dig.

I didnt think it was a dig Danny. My response was simply stating that I dont see him getting much time at Arsenal this season. I paid reasonably close attention as I was at the Emirates Cup. He came on after about 75 mins. Did OK but nothing great. Strangely the Red Bulls chances came from his side of the pitch (I say strange because Koscielny had been playing there till Bartley came on and NY created very little down that side when I consider Koscielny to be a mediocre player) but the goal wasnt his fault, poor defending from others.

My point is that I think we might have a chance of getting him back - if Wenger only gives him 15 mins in a 2 game pre-season tournament then does he really look like giving him competitive playing time ?