What do you think of our business so far?

Moi ? Surely not Ian.

Seriously though, we still havent spent that much money NET. However, what CAN be said, is that we have still managed to strengthen the squad even though we havent spent a lot of money.

Wallace : 1.5 mill (looks like a very decent signing)

Goian : 800k (also looks like an astute signing)

Bocanegra : ?? - would guess at 700k, who knows ?? (experienced, should prove to be a very decent piece of business)

Ortiz : was it 800k ?? (Jury out but needs time to settle)

Bartley : Assume maybe 200k for a loan fee ? (we all know what we get with the big man, decent loan signing).

Bedoya : Assume 400k ?

So that is a total of about 4.4 million in spending. We did, however, recoup 1.7 mill from the sale of Bougherra (someone who clearly didnt want to be here and who also had lost form and interest). We also lost Diouf & Weiss back to their parent clubs.

So net we have spent about 2.7 million. Numbers wise we are 3 ahead. However, of the 3 that have left only Weiss will be a miss IMO. For all that Bougherra is a decent player he just wasnt interested and his performances showed that. So Weiss hasnt really been replaced. Bougherra most certainly has (by more than one person) and Diouf was ineffective anyway, but he has also been replaced in Bedoya too.

Just as important as these though, the fact we have extended the contracts of our best players (and Whittaker too, I suppose - hey, you cant get EVERYTHING right) also means that we are planning for the FUTURE, rather than transfer window by transfer window.

I dont think there is any doubt that we are now a stronger team and squad. And that means that I am quite happy with what we have done in this transfer window.

But if, just IF, we could get that additional striker and creative mid in.... I will be one very happy Bear with what we have done in the transfer window this time round.

That better Ian ? :D

That's the Craig I like:thup:

I think we have done reasonably well. We no longer have the purse strings we once had, and missing out on the CL was a huge kick in the gonads.

The signings have not been of the stature (or age) I would have liked but all in all we have strengthened, and that is what we all wanted.

I think we would have spent more and went for better players if we had qualified for the CL.

If we now sell Lafferty to West Ham(or not) and buy Tim Matavz from Groningen who we were interested in last season then I will be happy. Him and Jelavic together would be a feast for the eyes.

I'll go through all the signings first:

Ortiz - Impressed with his workrate but not much else. Don't think he is any better than Gregg Wylde who is being kept out the team.

Wallace - Thought the price was a bit steep but i think he's been a good signing. A more natural full back he has better positional sense than Papac in that position and offers more going forward.

Goian - I know he's only played against ICT and St Johnstone but have been impressed with him. Strong and uncompromising and even though he lacks a bit of pace he seems a snip at under �£1 million

Bartley - Although he's injured we know what we will get from him.

Bedoya - Don't know much about him so obviously the jury's still out.

Bocanegra - Seemed to do pretty well at Fulham and has been playing in Ligue 1 which is a better standard than the SPL. He should do well.

If McKay comes in on Friday I believe we still need another striker to play up front with Jelavic. Overall I've been impressed with Goian and Wallace. The jury's still out on the rest of them but lets hope the squad can get settled and march onto 4IAR

I think Tumshie sums it up well.

Essentially, we've signed some interesting and capable players who fit our budget - especially since we've been knocked out the CL. I'm happy enough but would like to see another striker if we can manage to move on Beattie in particular.