Aston Villa want Steven Naismith

£10m and they can have him. Infact, make it £12m.

Watching today's prices in the Premiership and I would say Naismith is now more around the £20M mark - especially when you consider some of his games in Europe: against Valencia for instance.

I note the Sun article is penned by Yahoo journo, Paul Hughes.

The usual suspects have got after Naisy, the snide articles and comments will continue. However, they will stop if Naisy sees his future elsewhere. Clearly, Naisy is an important player to Rangers future success.

On a similar note, I have heard both BBC Scotland's Chris McLaughlin suggesting Naismith is too good for the SPL. Radio Snyde's Hugh Keevins made the exact same statement about Steve Davis on Monday evening. I expect Charlie Ridiculous/John Hartson/Kevin Gallagher/etc to do a piece soonest telling both players and Jela/McGregor to get out of the SPL to achieve their potential.

Watching today's prices in the Premiership and I would say Naismith is now more around the £20M mark - especially when you consider some of his games in Europe: against Valencia for instance.

But Naismith isn't playing in the EPL, he's in the SPL therefore dramatically dropping his value.

Edited by Gazza_8

Yup. If Jelavic is worth 9 mill then Naismith is in double figures for sure.

Closest we have to being irreplaceable !!

Not quite IMO. Jelavic proved it over a season last year that he is a class act.

Naismith started last season very well but faded a bit. He has got off to a flyer this season but its only been about 8 weeks. He needs to give a full season of this form before he is double figures. He is probably the 4th highest valued player in the team. McGregor, Jelavic and Davis range between 8m - 14m (Mcgregor is worth 14m). If Naismith plays a full season on current form (he will have the odd bad / quiet game) then he can be put in that bracket.

Its no coincidence that his form has taken off since he has played in a right mid or attacking mid role. Ive never seen him as a striker.

Not quite IMO. Jelavic proved it over a season last year that he is a class act.

Naismith started last season very well but faded a bit. He has got off to a flyer this season but its only been about 8 weeks. He needs to give a full season of this form before he is double figures. He is probably the 4th highest valued player in the team. McGregor, Jelavic and Davis range between 8m - 14m (Mcgregor is worth 14m). If Naismith plays a full season on current form (he will have the odd bad / quiet game) then he can be put in that bracket.

Its no coincidence that his form has taken off since he has played in a right mid or attacking mid role. Ive never seen him as a striker.

Ummmm, was Jelavic not injured for almost half the campaign last year ? He didnt prove it over a season at all. He proved it over half a season when Miller left and he had returned to full fitness. Funnily enough, IIRC, Naismith was playing very well indeed at the start of last season. Did he not also get an injury which saw his form drop a bit ?

IMHO Naismith's form this season, even though only 2 months in, has been better than that of Jelavic since Jelavic joined. Jelavic is a class act, absolutely no doubt about that. But right now he looks a shadow of his former self and his form right now looks, to me at least, to be poorer than any form that Naismith has shown in the last 2 seasons.

Last night Jelavic wasnt even getting the basics right in the first half. His first touch was awful and his passing not much better. At one point he tried to lay the ball off to Wylde (I think) and all he succeeded in doing was getting the ball stuck under his own feet. He is suffering from lack of confidence, or perhaps the uncertainty over a move, or something.

But to suggest Jelavic proved it over a season last year is inaccurate. Jelavic got injured against Hearts at Tynecastle, right ? That was on October 2nd. He didnt return to the starting line-up till January 26th - so he missed 4 months of last season.

Any scout watching our team right now will undoubtedly (at least in my opinion) value Naismith higher than Jelavic. 8 goals in 8 league games largely from right midfield is an incredible return.

Just to be clear, this isnt a knock on Jelavic who is quite obviously a class act. But I think that as things stand right now the loss of Naismith would be a bigger loss than Jelavic which, to me, means he is worth more to us.

Edited by craig