All Transfer Rumours and silly season stuff

FORMER Dutch golden boy Luigi Bruins last night revealed he hopes to resurrect his career at Rangers after being sold on the club by one-time Feyenoord team-mate Michael Mols.

The 24-year-old checked in at Murray Park yesterday to begin a trial period with the crisis-hit SPL champions, along with Bosnian international striker Zlatan Muslimovic.

Both players are free agents after ending spells at Red Bull Salzburg and PAOK Salonika respectively. Manager Ally McCoist has also invited American teenager Jamael Cox, a midfielder with Seattle Sounders, to train with the youth squad while he attempts to piece together his bargain-basement January transfer moves.

And Bruins – a former Holland Under-21 star once tipped for big things – is determined to make the most of this unexpected opportunity to follow Mols’ footsteps to Ibrox.

He said: “Rangers are a massive club and if you get the chance to prove yourself here then you don’t say no.

“I had a great education at Feyenoord where I played with Michael. He was the man to contact for everything I needed to know about this club.

“Michael raved about Rangers and told me I should grab the chance. He has tremendous respect for the club and I can understand that because he had such a terrific time in Glasgow.

“But I am not naive. I realise times have changed in football and also at Rangers. But maybe it’s because of these circumstances I now have the chance to play here.

“No matter what the problems may be, the thought of pulling on that blue shirt at the end of this trial is

something that really appeals.”

Bruins, who can play anywhere across the midfield and just behind a main striker, was hailed as a future star when he was lured to Rotterdam from Dutch club Excelsior.

But he failed to live up to his early promise and was transferred to Salzburg last year.

Bruins then played only three games in Austria before being released. Hitman Muslimovic is also determined to impress after arriving for a similar trial period.

The 30-year-old hasn’t played club football since May but has remained part of the Bosnian team and has scored 12 goals in 33 international appearances.

Estonian right-back Enar Jaager has already impressed on trial and he last night pleaded for Rangers to find the cash to deal him in. Leeds also want the 27-year-old but Jaager said: “I’m still in Glasgow and waiting for Rangers’ decision.

“Hopefully it will happen but, as long as it’s not up to me, I cannot promise anything.”

Honduran midfielder Jorge Claros is spending a second week with Gers as he bids to win a deal.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/2012/01/24/rangers-trialist-luigi-bruins-michael-mols-sold-me-on-gers-but-i-m-only-here-because-they-re-skint-86908-23714621/

The bid is believed to be for £7.2M, and, according to SPL correspondent Daniel Gordan, it is believed that Rangers are satisfied with the bid, and it is now up to the player to agree terms, although this is unconfirmed, which, of course, contradicts DG's tweet..."still no news". Despite the claims of Rangers supporters, it is known that Liverpool are distancing themselves from false reports ostensibly circulated by Jelavic's father/agent that he was likely to sign for them.

http://westhamclaretinmyblood.blogspot.com/2012/01/solid-gold-hammers-jelavic-bid.html

Darwin Jones Trialing With Sounders, Jamael Cox With Rangers Show Different Paths To Professionalism

In our recaps of Seattle Sounders FC's Academy Alumni the focus was primarily on the players within the NCAA system. Players like Sean Okoli (second leading scorer on the U18s in 2010/11), Deandre Yedlin and Nick Palodichuk are following typical American collegiate paths. Yedlin and Okoli even got picked for the recent United States U-20 path. Darwin Jones and Jamael Cox are doing things a bit differently, and both seem to have a shot a pro career. Previously Sounders academy director Darren Sawatzky raved about Jones.

It comes as little surprise that after a stellar season with Highline Community College Jones is now in preseason camp on trial. A trial that Jones said today may lead to something more:

I'm here for a week on trial. If I do well and go to Arizona I won't be going to Highline or I'll go back to school at Highline and finish off Winter and Spring Quarter and then I'm off to the UW in the fall.

Jones was the second-leading scorer on the first-ever Sounders U18 team. Third on the team was right mid Jamael Cox, who is on trial with Glasgow Rangers after a previous trial with FC Nurnberg. His representative Ricci Greenwood describes the process of getting Cox those trials:

Star-divide

So I came out with him [Darren Sawatzky, Sounders Academy Technical Director] a couple times and I watched and pointed out a couple guys. Basically we made the combination there. I played over in Germany, in the Bundesliga over at FC Nurnberg so I have a club relationship over there. I said 'You know what I could send Jamael over there.' We sent him over there and he did well. He impressed over there. They wanted to bring him back this summer.

After that I said 'I know that he can compete at least. Let me look at another option.' I have a great contact with Rangers of Glasgow. Basically I submitted his information and talked to my contact over there. They just came back to me and said 'We'll take a look.' And I asked when they want to see him. So I sent him over and he's been there a week now. So far so good. They have a big training game with reserve players, first-team players and some trialists will be there. After that if everything goes well I'll fly over and we'll see the next few days and see what happens.

While Jones sees a path that provides options to got to the University of Washington or in a best-case scenario with the Sounders Cox's path is different. Greenwood's pro career was in MLS with the Columbus Crew, various other non-MLS teams and with Nurnberg in Germany. He'll continue to use those connections to place Cox where he can succeed.

There are many paths to become a pro in this game of soccer. For some the right path is four years at a major college, for others community college and then see where the path takes you and then there are those who will find an opportunity anywhere in order to play the game they love.

Major League Soccer's growing Academy system prevents none of those options. Sounders Alumni are on each of those. Some may never sign with the senior team, but their dreams can still come true.

http://www.sounderatheart.com/2012/1/23/2728971/jamael-cox-glasgow-rangers-darwin-jones-sounders-trialists

I'd take 7.2M for Jelavic and move on.

Having looked at his career overall, it's probably more than he's worth and I'm not sure he'll be anything special in England.

Seems a fair price all things considered although I disagree...he COULD be a star down south but not for West Ham, a decent season 2012 with 15+ goals and he could move on for £10m+.

Seems a fair price all things considered although I disagree...he COULD be a star down south but not for West Ham, a decent season 2012 with 15+ goals and he could move on for £10m+.

As I've posted elsewhere, he really didn't do very well for Rapid Wien - 25 in 70 in a very weak league. And only has 2 in 17 for Croatia.

He was great for us last season, and his goal in Malmo was stunning, but I think we (myself included) may have bought into a myth that he's better than he actually is.

Or is has he just improved since leaving Austria? Who knows. Maybe I'm doing him a disservice.