Rangers sign Daniel Cousin

The SFA then confirmed they have been asked by the SPL champions to contact their African counterparts for the paperwork which proves Cousin’s contract with local minnow FC Sapins expired before the end of the January transfer window.

However, last night head of registrations Sandy Bryson was still waiting on word back from Gabon’s FA to clarify whether or not Cousin is indeed a free agent and able to rejoin his old club nearly four years after signing for Hull City in a £3million deal.

Cousin’s camp, meanwhile, are adamant their man is free to make the move after coming out of a temporary deal with Sapins which was only set up in the first place in order to give him game time ahead of the African Nations Cup.

And despite the red-tape delay they remain hopeful Cousin could be back in Scotland in time to make a second Rangers debut in this weekend’s SPL clash at Dunfermline.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/2012/02/09/rangers-face-anxious-wait-for-clearance-in-their-bid-to-resign-striker-daniel-cousin-86908-23741502/

Te way things have gone with trialists these last few months, i'm now at the stage where i hope we sign him as if we don't it's more egg on our face.

(for the record i realise he's not a trialist before someone points that out)

I also like the sound of what he says about wanting to play for Rangers instead of the big money offers he has available to him.

It's just as well he doesn't want a lot of money as CW doesn't like spending any. At least he sounds keen, very keen I'd say.

I also like the sound of what he says about wanting to play for Rangers instead of the big money offers he has available to him.

It's just as well he doesn't want a lot of money as CW doesn't like spending any. At least he sounds keen, very keen I'd say.

I hope they are genuine comments from Cousin and not Willie McKay

Sent off against Celtic as well.

That was a fucking farce though. Almost like the ref did it to save the Celtic defenders (almost! ;)).

Is that the game where the ref sent off one of them to even it up after making an arse of it against us?

I hope they are genuine comments from Cousin and not Willie McKay

I can only go with what I thought I read Stefanovitch. Anything other than that, you'd have to take up with the author of the article, or the newspaper itself.

I was sure they were quoting Cousin, but who knows?

DANIEL COUSIN is set to be catapulted straight into an SPL title fight with Rangers when he jets into Scotland tomorrow.

And the striker has told Ally McCoist that he is capable of scoring the goals to land the Ibrox side the title.

The 35-year-old Gabon captain will touch down in Edinburgh and sign a short-term deal ahead of the SPL meeting with Dunfermline just 24 hours later.

“I won the league with Rangers and it would be a dream to do it again,” said Cousin.

“I know things are difficult at the club right now. But I believe I could help Ally and the rest of the players retain the title.

“I have been playing well and feel in good shape. I scored goals in Scotland before and I can again.

“My goal against Celtic in my final game for Rangers is something I will always remember.

“I now want to continue from where I left off. I played under a great manager in Walter Smith and it was a memorable experience. Now Ally is the coach and I’d love to play for him. When I was deciding whether or not to leave Rangers, Ally told me I should stay. That shows he likes me as a player so hopefully I can help him out now."

According to the player’s agent, Willie McKay, Cousin wishes he had not left Rangers in the first place.

And the hit man – currently a free agent – had no hesitation in taking up the challenge when offered the chance earlier this week.

Cousin will board a flight tonight from his homeland and expects to be introduced to his new team-mates in time for the weekend game at East End Park.

"Ally has asked him to help with the cause and Daniel is delighted to do so," said McKay. "Rangers are a massive club. He never wanted to leave, but the club received a good offer that was too good to turn down.

"There were other offers on the table for Daniel but, as soon as he spoke to Ally, he wanted to go back to Rangers.

"Daniel was the top man in the Old Firm games during his first stint and there is no reason why he can’t do that again."

Having lost Nikica Jelavic to Everton, McCoist regards the experienced Cousin as an ideal replacement and a permanent deal could be in the offing if the striker impresses this term.

McCoist told Blues News: "We definitely, definitely need to strengthen, if we can, in the forward area.

"There are one or two we have been looking at and, if we get the opportunity to bring them in, then I will."

Meanwhile, Rangers have been accused of trying to wriggle out of paying £240,000 for Mervan Celik, after suggestions Swedish side GAIS failed to offer the player a contract extension 60 days before his deal expired.

However, the club have denied this is the case and the player himself has confirmed that. "Rangers took a chance that we would not have a receipt to prove we offered him a contract," said GAIS sports director Mats Persson. "It feels like a desperate attempt to avoid paying."

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/daniel-cousin-in-frame-for-an-instant-rangers-return-1.1147201