Rangers sign Daniel Cousin

I can't wait for the day Rangers FC are beyond criticism... ;)

They were, for about a day and a half last May, after slaughtering Killie and retaining the title. Soon after that the usual fare crept back into the minds.

Anyways, one of my mottos is that ... it is not as important to look at the deficits as it is to see the possibilities of the manageable. We are in the "now and here" and we have to live with that and make the best of it. And yes, we all know that it could be much better, and was much better. But "could" and "was" are of no help.

Here's a recent Cousin goal from the ACON tournament -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37H2wdQ_vuU

Decent goal, but tells us nothing. Apparently the Gabon coach was voicing concerns about Cousin's fitness during the tournament, so that's not really great news. If we're signing a striker it needs to be someone who's fully fit right now because even when Lafferty and Hemmings come back into the squad it'll take them time to get up to full fitness again.

So yes, Cousin could maybe do a job for us even although he's 35, but I've got serious reservations about signing a player who isn't fit.

Guest superrcooper7

Rangers closing in on Daniel Cousin deal

The Gabon striker has held further talks with the Ibrox club over a deal to the end of the season.

08 February 2012 16:02 GMT

Comment

Daniel Cousin Pic: © SNS Group

Rangers are closing in on a deal for former striker Daniel Cousin, STV understands.

The Gabon international held further discussions with club officials and Rangers manager Ally McCoist on Wednesday. The Ibrox club are considering a contract offer for the remainder of the Scottish Premier League season.

Cousin, who played for Rangers from 2007 to 2008, is a free agent after finishing a contract with Sapins FC in his native Gabon. He ended a three-month short-term deal at the end of December.

He would not require a work permit to complete the move as he holds a French passport.

The 35-year-old striker had taken on the role at Sapins to ensure a place in Gabon’s squad for the Africa Cup of Nations. Cousin played in four matches in the continental competition, scoring in a 3-2 win against Morocco.

Rangers could have the player registered in time for this weekend’s match against Dunfermline but the Scottish Football Association have confirmed that Cousin still has a one-match suspension to serve dating back to his previous spell at Ibrox.

A sending off against Celtic in his final match before moving to Hull means that the striker would sit out the next SPL match after his registration is filed

Guest superrcooper7

Better than a non-existant striker surely, especially if he is the only free agent we're being linked with at the moment?

At 35 you wouldn't think his wages would be to high. We'll only know if it's finalised and the details of the end of season deal are released.

You can definitely see that Cousin as carrying a fair amount of flab in that video too, so whoever said earlier in the thread that he looked fat at the moment appears to be correct......

All I saw was a 6 pack tbh. He didn't look fat in the slightest bit to me. Just well built.

You can definitely see that Cousin as carrying a fair amount of flab in that video too, so whoever said earlier in the thread that he looked fat at the moment appears to be correct......

Was me, and when I saw him at the Cup of nations he looked fat and lethargic. Compared to what he used to be, he was slimmer.

I agree with supercooper, we're better with a recognized striker to partner Healy rather than nothing. You never know, the old guys might inspire each other.