Craig Whyte Admits

It's a good question and I don't know the answer to it.

There's been a suggestion that Ticketus would still be due some cash, but we don't know the ins and outs, and we would need to see the contract to discover what the story is.

would Ticketus be due the cash from Whyte or his secured guarantee?

I find it incredible how people see things in black and white without taking any notice of the shades of grey. Have the media done such a good job on this that it's either got to be one way or another? I'd suggest that some people looked into some other high profile takeovers and mergers over the last 20 years, you will find skullduggery and clandestine operations much worse than anything Mr Whyte has achieved here.

From his interview with Tom English the other week.

Q: OK, letâ??s kick-off with one of the questions of the week. Itâ??s been revealed that you raised £24.4 million in much-needed funds by pre-selling tranches of Rangers season tickets for the next four seasons...

A: It was closer to £20m, but carry on.

Q: Right, £20m then. What have you done with the money? Where is it?

A: Weâ??ve got running costs somewhere in the region of £3.5m a month. Thatâ??s what it costs to keep the lights on. People donâ??t understand the business side of football. Theyâ??re all very quick to go and criticise but nobody else was prepared to step up to the plate and I guess if you look over the last week you can understand why.

Q: People want to know where the ticket money has gone...

A: Well, OK, I wonâ??t do it line by line but Iâ??ll give you some examples. Thereâ??s a £10m funding hole that needs to be filled. Iâ??ve said that before. I have nothing to apologise for. This is the reality of the club. There was several million that had to be repaid from an old ticket arrangement from the previous board. There were things like transfer payments. We still owed £1m to Rapid Vienna from when we bought Nikica Jelavic. We owed £1m on the James Beattie signing. Believe me, every single penny of the Ticketus money has stayed in the club. What I want to get across is that the fansâ?? money is safe, itâ??s underwritten by one of my companies and everything I do is in the best long-term interests of the club.

Q: Mortgaging season tickets is a high-risk strategy, though. Clubs do it, but on this scale? What if season tickets sales plummet? Do you fear a season ticket boycott?

A: No, why would there be?

Q: It would be understandable if Rangers fans were spooked. This is the allegation, that you used the Ticketus money to fund your takeover of the club...

A: No, from the messages Iâ??ve had I donâ??t think people believe that. The occasional person, maybe. I know Ally said on Friday that this is the time to rally round the club. This is going to be a tough few weeks and we need everybody with us and on the whole thatâ??s what people are doing. The allegation is wrong. Anybody with half a brain would figure that one out. The sale of the club went through prior to the arrangement for the tickets. Itâ??s absurd. Do you think Lloyds and Sir David Murray would have given me the time of day if I hadnâ??t proved I had the money?

All he's done today is admit that he's a liar.

From his interview with Tom English the other week.

All he's done today is admit that he's a liar.

Not necessarily, again it's about shades of grey. He passed the proof of cash stage and then used the money fronted by Ticketus to pay the debt and finanace the initial months running costs. Interesting that the "wee" tax case forms part of the £9m that HMRC forced us into administration for...weren't the media telling us that he had withheld PAYE for 9 months? Just an example of why you shouldn't believe all you read and hear. Nor should you believe every word of individuals like Craig Whyte but from my own experience he is a part of an equally murky and nefarious world of corporate finance.

The thing is, any lies he's told will be revealed with time, so is he just trying to buy time with them? Or has he so tangled up the finances of Rangers that he believes the ultimate truth to be undiscoverable?

...or something else...