Where does all this leave Ally?

Given our circumstances this season, I wouldn't really expect any manager to have done a better job than Ally.

Even Walters tactics and team selections were and would have continued to be similarly baffling at times.

We'll never know what might have been in terms of the outcome of this years title race were it not for our troubles off the field.

What I do still believe though is that Ally IS a good manager and will no doubt become better through all of this.

I shouldn't really get involved in this 'scuffle' but for what it's worth.....

Cumbernauld talks one lot of sense, Calscot the opposite.

btw I won't get sucked in anymore so this will be my last post in this thread.

Can you specifically say where I wasn't making sense? Or is making baseless statements de rigueur these days?

Must be an age thing...

a rewording of CumbernauldGers points then:

Out of europe to 2 teams with considerably less resources that us & that we should be beating

Out of the league cup to a young & inexperienced Falkirk team.

Lost a point gap of min 9 possible more to celtic.

Out of the Cup at home to Dundee Utd, out played for the 90 mins.

Questionable Tactics???

several signings that for various reasons never play(ed)???????

I think the above are more accurate representations of the FACTS - the points are still exactly the same though....

He has taken his first managerial job at one of the biggest clubs in the world, with one of the highest expediencies to win. Perhaps he is out of his depth, perhaps he's not. You certainly cannot decide that after 1 season in charge. Especially a season with all of the off-field problems we have had, especially with a threadbare squad.

We were 9 points ahead, with no off-field problems. As soon as we started having off-field problems it all changed. He made some dodgy tactical judgements, who hasn't? Smith did, Levein did, Fergie did, Wenger did. Who doesnt play players out of position? Smith did, Levein did, Fergie did, Wenger did.

Hindsight is a wonderful tool, but at the end of the day it's his first year, he will make mistakes. Personally he has shown me enough that with no off-field problems & a squad of players then he will get results. He has walked into, at this moment in time, the hardest managerial job in the world.

He deserves a chance. 1 season is not a chance.

I was in Malmo and in my opinion we would have won that game 1-0 with 10 men and at least drawn the tie and gone to penalties and quite possibly won 2-0 as we were well on top when Boughera lost the plot. He was on his way and should not have played. You could clearly see him flick out at players all night. I enjoyed watching him as a football player but that night he was a disaster waiting to happen. The Whittaker incident was out of character but Boughera sadly was entirely predictable. Goian and Weir were out but Broadfoot or McCulloch could have played CB. I blame Ally for that.

I was in Maribor as well. We were comfortable playing 4-5-1 and 1-0 up at half time. Naismith was rightly subbed because he was one foul away from a red card and was fortunate to be able to walk off with the rest of the team at half time. IMHO what should have happened is that Ortiz should have been moved to the right and Wylde brought on the left and retained the 4-5-1 but Ally brought on Lafferty and went 4-4-2 when the game was already won and we didn't need to chase another goal. I am confident that we would have held out for the 1-0, possibly 2-0 or at worst drawn 1-1 but instead we got turned over in the second half. I have to blame Ally for that as well.

Maribor were not a pub team but they were more or less amateurs. Their total budget was Euros 10M and it is a fact that most of their players did not earn in a season what our top earners made in a week.

Also worth remembering that these two teams managed one point each in their groups.

In the league I think it would have been difficult for any manager to maintain the lead after losing three strikers but the cup losses at Falkirk in particular were poor.

Overall, I think a lot of questions would have been asked had it not been for the other goings on.

The problem with McCoist is he was never given a chance to truly rebuild his squad with quality players. He was given 3p budget and had to make do with signing some really substandard players - he did bring in Aluko, Goian, Boca and Wallace who did well, but that hardly patches up the whole squad.

We did poorly to start with, then the Naismith period kicked in and we looked unstoppable - soon as he got injured it's been a house of cards collapsing.

And we didn't have anything like the team to compensate for losing him.

We were imperious with him in the team, without him we've been pretty gash bar the odd exception when we played well.

Add to that it being Ally's first season, add to that the restrictions placed on him, and now this chaotic period and I ain't sure it's fair to judge him on any level this year.

Regarding the Maribor comment, in 2008 we beat teams who were leagues better than us - Lyon, Stuttgart, Fiorentina, Bremen, Sporting - all superior but we got the results. Poorer teams can beat better teams on the day.

Plus the Maribor question wouldn't exist had Jelavic scored that sitter in Sweden to put us into the CL.

While I am not convinced that McCoist is truly the man going forward.....I hope to be proved wrong.

He has shown on occasion, that he can put out a team that performs well. I think he needs to get some consistency in the teams results now.

There is no doubting that he has been an absolute rock for the club these past few weeks. I would suggest that based on his off field performance, he should be given a chance - possibly with a change of backroom staff with more experience.

Although hugely disappointed with a number of performances and results this season, domestic and Euro. There has been without question, quite a few mitigating factors.

Ally's first season, lengthy injuries to key players, the sale of Jelavic and all the off pitch nonsense. Given all these points, I think it's only fair imo, that Ally be given a second season with a clean(er) slate.

In saying that, I would like to think that Ally and Kenny would include analysing their own contribution come the end of the season. Tactics, team selection, training and man to man management and not put every poor result/performance down to the above circumstances.