Utterly divided support

Half of me regrets starting this thread - but I guess it sort of proves the point I was making.

Not sure it does. Rangers fans are interacting with each more than ever. It's not all positive but I believe when we're safe and sound then bonds will be made stronger

If you go back to the OP, I dont believe Rangers fans are as divided "in real life" as is made out.

I feel there is, and has been for a decade or so, an over-representative feeling amongst online forums, that does not echo the feeling amongst Rangers fans you meet at the matches, in the pubs, or in the workplace.

The online community are very badly divided. I can see this and understand it, but feel it is very wrong. There are very strong and active (but small in numbers) groups within each of the online communities who are very prod of their "own" forum, and like to defend the position of their own forum against other forums.

Take the RST for example. FF is its flagship due to mutual leadership. Those banned from FF due to admin/mod decisions go to Rm or here or elsewhere for their online Rngers "fix". They mump and moan about how they were banned from FF. Lets ignore for now if the bans were legitimate as it actually doesnt matter. Therefore they find a like-minded group who have lso been banned from FF. As FF is RST in the eyes of many, and has never been properly addressed by either, the RST is painted the same way. So we have a growing disgruntled number of people who feel hard done by on FF/RST.

This is absolutely nothing to do with being Rangers fans.

We pretty much as Rangers fans all want the same things. Our team to be successful on the park and well run off it. Nice and simple.

The main disagreements I see between Rangers fans in real life generally are about tactics, players, the manager. Not forums. Never.

Online, the arguments are far more political. Its all about the forums, the fans groups, individual fans and spokespersons.

The real difference is that online people are far more willing to have go (anonymously of course) at other Rangers supporters beliefs. Also, the time available to have a rant online is generally far more readily available to people than on matchdays.

I dont hear any calls for there only to be one fans forum to unite all the online fans together as one, when it is the online forums that are the most divided and divisive of all. But i do continually hear calls for the organised "real life" fans groups to unite, when in fact on almost all issues they are united. Funny that.

Fair points, Tb, but I don't agree with all of them:

My concerns over the RST are nothing to do with being banned or anything else (never been on FF in my life, in fact). Having flounced out of both RM and here in huffs before, I'm neither protective nor proud of anywhere. I'm also using my real name, as you can see, and just in case there's a wee photey of me with an arrow pointing at my head in my avatar. It's all about bringing your outside world with you to Ibrox: if it's all about the fitba, as you say, I've no issues. If it starts getting all baggagey, I know I'm going to get abuse and told to get tae fuck, so I don't bother. Plus, whether bans are legit does matter; if the leadership is the same, I'd prefer them not to be control freaks.

Btw: "are very prod of their "own" forum" Freudian slip if ever there was one!

Edited by andy steel

Not sure it does. Rangers fans are interacting with each more than ever. It's not all positive but I believe when we're safe and sound then bonds will be made stronger

Understatement of the year el-Franko.

What did you leave here for Andy? Good to see you back btw! :tu:

I signed up for Glasgow Uni and have been boz deep in books for the last two years...there's just no time for this during the term. Tho trying to study for exams while the love of my life is collapsing in front of me (I am 41, you know...you never grow out of a football club) has been horrendous, just horrendous.

Fair points, Tb, but I don't agree with all of them:

My concerns over the RST are nothing to do with being banned or anything else (never been on FF in my life, in fact). Having flounced out of both RM and here in huffs before, I'm neither protective nor proud of anywhere. I'm also using my real name, as you can see, and just in case there's a wee photey of me with an arrow pointing at my head in my avatar. It's all about bringing your outside world with you to Ibrox: if it's all about the fitba, as you say, I've no issues. If it starts getting all baggagey, I know I'm going to get abuse and told to get tae fuck, so I don't bother. Plus, whether bans are legit does matter; if the leadership is the same, I'd prefer them not to be control freaks.

Btw: "are very prod of their "own" forum" Freudian slip if ever there was one!

Thanks Andy, and well spotted with the typo. Not sure its right to laugh at my own mistake but now you point it out its exactly what i did!

With respect, I dont think the post above is really aimed at the likes of yourself, and that is to your credit. It is my general view and I know loads of good bears who frequent all forums and bear no ill will towards any of the others.

There are of course very simple remedies to those Bears who dislike either a forum or a fans group (or individuals therein). There are plenty of forums to choose from, so finding one that suits any aprticular taste should not be too difficult. Its a bit harder with the fans groups as you have to make an active choice to get involved with the groups to encourage change. Join the RST and ask for change. Vote for it. Join the board and campaign for it. Takes time and far more effort than typing though so that rules out most people.

If you go back to the OP, I dont believe Rangers fans are as divided "in real life" as is made out.

I feel there is, and has been for a decade or so, an over-representative feeling amongst online forums, that does not echo the feeling amongst Rangers fans you meet at the matches, in the pubs, or in the workplace.

The online community are very badly divided. I can see this and understand it, but feel it is very wrong. There are very strong and active (but small in numbers) groups within each of the online communities who are very prod of their "own" forum, and like to defend the position of their own forum against other forums.

Take the RST for example. FF is its flagship due to mutual leadership. Those banned from FF due to admin/mod decisions go to Rm or here or elsewhere for their online Rngers "fix". They mump and moan about how they were banned from FF. Lets ignore for now if the bans were legitimate as it actually doesnt matter. Therefore they find a like-minded group who have lso been banned from FF. As FF is RST in the eyes of many, and has never been properly addressed by either, the RST is painted the same way. So we have a growing disgruntled number of people who feel hard done by on FF/RST.

This is absolutely nothing to do with being Rangers fans.

We pretty much as Rangers fans all want the same things. Our team to be successful on the park and well run off it. Nice and simple.

The main disagreements I see between Rangers fans in real life generally are about tactics, players, the manager. Not forums. Never.

Online, the arguments are far more political. Its all about the forums, the fans groups, individual fans and spokespersons.

The real difference is that online people are far more willing to have go (anonymously of course) at other Rangers supporters beliefs. Also, the time available to have a rant online is generally far more readily available to people than on matchdays.

I dont hear any calls for there only to be one fans forum to unite all the online fans together as one, when it is the online forums that are the most divided and divisive of all. But i do continually hear calls for the organised "real life" fans groups to unite, when in fact on almost all issues they are united. Funny that.

Superb post! :tu: