Reaction to Lafferty's wedding in a Catholic church

You're twisting it. People were complaining about it being a chapel. I can't stand religion or Catholicism indeed but I would never condemn Lafferty for getting married in one. I suspect others wouldn't have complained if he'd wed in a synagogue either. This is an anti-catholic stance from a minority and you well know it.

I'm sure there are a few that approach this from an intolerant viewpoint. That is sad and unnecessary in my own opinion.

However, my point was that disagreeing with religion or being annoyed about where someone gets married isn't automatically a 'bigoted' outlook. That is wholly correct.

The fact our club has a Protestant ethos is not something that we should ever apologise for.

If I were to write down a list of reasons for RFC and Lafferty to go their separate ways, I'd use a few rainforests worth of pencils before I ever got round to contemplating who and where he married. All that did was once again reinforce the hypocrisy of the Church of Rome as did their funeral mass for the Pink QC.

He nonetheless favours a bigotted mindset. I know people will be up in arms again for being told, but the concept of being a "bigot" is simple:

Someone who thinks unreasonably that their own - strong - opinion is correct, especially about religion, race, or politics.

That leaves a wide open range for interpretation, but honestly, we all know what we are talking about here. It's sure not like telling anyone on here that they behave like the KKK when having a go Lafferty, but the mindset is bigotted nonetheless. Matter of fact, it is sectarian along the way. And that is a downright neutral statement.

In that case you can consider many religions as bigoted which simply shows the term is generic and the issue more complicated than empirically judging people.

I'm not denying we have misguided people in our support but I think people should be very careful when they accuse people of such stuff.

I'm sure there are a few that approach this from an intolerant viewpoint. That is sad and unnecessary in my own opinion.

However, my point was that disagreeing with religion or being annoyed about where someone gets married isn't automatically a 'bigoted' outlook. That is wholly correct.

Wrong. If we're getting tedious here, and I suppose we are, the definition of being bigoted is:

"One who is strongly partial to one's own group, religion, race, or politics and is intolerant of those who differ."

To object to marriage because it was in a place of Catholic worship, when the player is protestant and the club is associated with protestantism, does rather reek of being bigoted against catholicism. One thing is to object to religion, be it catholicism or any other, but quite another is to tell a footballer to fuck off because he got married in a chapel. What is a non-bigoted justification to this?

The fact our club has a Protestant ethos is not something that we should ever apologise for.

But it's another thing to smear a different religion on the basis of it.

But it's another thing to smear a different religion on the basis of it.

I'll repeat it again in the hope that it may penetrate this time round, "The fact our club has a Protestant ethos is not something that we should ever apologise for." Now tell me where the f*&k that statement in any way shape or form smears any other religion?

I'll repeat it again in the hope that it may penetrate this time round, "The fact our club has a Protestant ethos is not something that we should ever apologise for." Now tell me where the f*&k that statement in any way shape or form smears any other religion?

I didn't say it did. I was adding to it. And stop trying to patronise, you are absolutely RUBBISH at it :fish:

Wrong. If we're getting tedious here, and I suppose we are, the definition of being bigoted is:

"One who is strongly partial to one's own group, religion, race, or politics and is intolerant of those who differ."

To object to marriage because it was in a place of Catholic worship, when the player is protestant and the club is associated with protestantism, does rather reek of being bigoted against catholicism. One thing is to object to religion, be it catholicism or any other, but quite another is to tell a footballer to fuck off because he got married in a chapel. What is a non-bigoted justification to this?

I think I've seen 2 or 3 people max object to Lafferty getting married in a chapel.

Not all made their reasons clear but certainly intolerance may have helped form their opinion.

However their reasons may be more complicated than that so automatically labelling critics of any given situation as bigots isn't necessarily accurate or fair.

For example some may be annoyed because of how Catholicism views other religions or indeed how many religions view non-believers. Or even that Lafferty himself isn't religious.

Like I say bigotry may be a nice catch-all term (and I do know its meaning thanks) but it doesn't always apply

I didn't say it did. I was adding to it. And stop trying to patronise, you are absolutely RUBBISH at it :fish:

You equate having a Protestant ethos with being the basis of smearing a different religion, don't see much difference between that and Matt Slaters' "Rangers are anti-Catholic" pish.