Steven Davis signs for Southampton

I wonder if vanity might have had anything to do with it in some of their cases. Not many big-shot football players would be particularly happy about being punted on for peanuts this summer when they were worth millions 6 months ago before we went into administration.

Very good point mate, still traitors tho.

They were given the freedom to go.

There was no campaign to get them to stay, even till we knew where we were playing.

If Ally had come out and asked them to wait, at least they would have been under some pressure.

As it is, Ally seemed to give them his blessing, at least that is the way it seems.

They were given the freedom to go.

There was no campaign to get them to stay, even till we knew where we were playing.

If Ally had come out and asked them to wait, at least they would have been under some pressure.

As it is, Ally seemed to give them his blessing, at least that is the way it seems.

Ally's not a bitter man, but no way he'll be happy at them for leaving and denying the club transfer fees. He said just before it started they had to not mess the fans about.

I still stubble to understand why anyone wants to defend these mercenaries tbh.

Anyone on here never made a mistake then? Never done anything you looked back at later and wished you'd done differently?

All the best Steven, you were a very good Rangers player and came across as a decent guy at the same time. Good luck down south.

This just scearms of a wee boy that cant bring himself to say anything bad about a Rangers or ex Rangers player, used to be like that myself when i was a kid.

I can't feel anything for these players now, I won't even be looking to see how they are getting on at their new teams. I am only interested in our survival and journey back to the SPL unlike them!!

You say the same about a murderer?

Extreme example obviously but the point is you can't put every misdeed down to a 'mistake' or whatever.

No mistake anyway, these rats were interested in themselves and only themselves, I wish them every failure.

Murderer? As you say yourself not your best analogy.

I didn't put his 'misdeed' down to a mistake, I simply asked if all those slating him, some very strongly, had never made a mistake. I've made loads, some I really wish I could reverse. Time will tell if Davis leaving in the manner he did was a bad or good thing for us. Had he stayed we'd have need to pay him for at least one month, maybe longer. That's money that the club might be very grateful for in the near future. He'd have started preseason training by now, what if he picked up an injury and couldn't be sold in this transfer window, how would that have benefited us? As has been reported their is still some issues over who actually holds his registration, oldco or newco, what if any potential transfer fee went to the oldco and not 'newco'?

I'm not absolving Davis, or any of the other players, but some of the vitriol they've received is, in my opinion, unwarranted. They were Rangers players once, they aren't now, all they did was leave, do you feel the same way about Brian Laudrup who left for nothing for example?

Sometime in the future when we are finally able to look back on all this and see the full picture the players like Davis will have their place in the story, but they shouldn't be portrayed as villains. They helped the club earlier, they may have inadvertently helped the club again by leaving, they might have done the opposite, time will tell. In the scheme of things though they are way down at the bottom of the list of people we should vent our ire on, indeed they might be people who can help us again at some point in the future.

This just scearms of a wee boy that cant bring himself to say anything bad about a Rangers or ex Rangers player, used to be like that myself when i was a kid.

Haha, unfortunately any immaturity I display can't be put down to my age. As the guy who started the 'Rangers players I really disliked' thread last week I think I proved I'm able to criticise Rangers players, often without much justification too.

I simply can't bring myself to criticise the players who left with the same vehemence others can. Indeed I worry that some of the real culprits in all of this are being overlooked for easier targets. The players did their bit, now they've moved on, as I explained above they might have actually done us a favour by doing that, although I accept that probably wasn't their intention.

I generally always wish ex-players all the best, I see little to be gained by doing the opposite on this occasion.

ambitious club and a lovely part of the world but I thought he might do better.

FFS i find myself agreeing with GS twice in 5 minutes!!

While I have total resentment for the captain of our club walking away in these circumstances, I really thought he would do much better than a EPL newbie who will of course be hot favourites for relegation.

I truly believe he (and the others) will regret the decisions they have made this summer for the rest of their lives.

Murderer? As you say yourself not your best analogy.

I didn't put his 'misdeed' down to a mistake, I simply asked if all those slating him, some very strongly, had never made a mistake. I've made loads, some I really wish I could reverse. Time will tell if Davis leaving in the manner he did was a bad or good thing for us. Had he stayed we'd have need to pay him for at least one month, maybe longer. That's money that the club might be very grateful for in the near future. He'd have started preseason training by now, what if he picked up an injury and couldn't be sold in this transfer window, how would that have benefited us? As has been reported their is still some issues over who actually holds his registration, oldco or newco, what if any potential transfer fee went to the oldco and not 'newco'?

I'm not absolving Davis, or any of the other players, but some of the vitriol they've received is, in my opinion, unwarranted. They were Rangers players once, they aren't now, all they did was leave, do you feel the same way about Brian Laudrup who left for nothing for example?

Sometime in the future when we are finally able to look back on all this and see the full picture the players like Davis will have their place in the story, but they shouldn't be portrayed as villains. They helped the club earlier, they may have inadvertently helped the club again by leaving, they might have done the opposite, time will tell. In the scheme of things though they are way down at the bottom of the list of people we should vent our ire on, indeed they might be people who can help us again at some point in the future.

There's no problems meeting the pay roll so nothing to suggest they did us a favour. The owners, the management and the fans wanted them to transfer their contracts, it's not as if quick sales for fairly basic fees couldn't have been done, certainly when their agents have probably been looking for clubs for months. Someone leaving at the end of their contract is different, these guys had contracts but decided to use an option to break them.

I have plenty of anger and resentment to share about, I'm not letting the traitors distract me from anything.

But their bridges are burnt, would never want them back even if they pleaded for it.

Edited by simplythebest

FFS i find myself agreeing with GS twice in 5 minutes!!

While I have total resentment for the captain of our club walking away in these circumstances, I really thought he would do much better than a EPL newbie who will of course be hot favourites for relegation.

I truly believe he (and the others) will regret the decisions they have made this summer for the rest of their lives.

I don’t as they’ve become millionaires overnight. This is nothing to do with football, it’s cold hard cash.