Is Ally the Man for the job? - The McCoist Thread

There isnt a lot that can be disagreed with.

I think Calderwood is a decent shout, yes it wouldnt be the most attractive name but in Div 3 and then 2 more years at least of SFL football we have to be realistic. TBH he did well with Aberdeen and they have struggled badly before him and after him.

Ally has suffered from not taking on a better coaching and management team since day 1.

After watching that last night if Ally doesn't get help in he will or should go soon. I obviously thought he was up to the job and in time could change but it's the same dross every week even though there are still factors for this, the football should be better with what players we have. Maybe I have just buried my head a little after what Ally has done for us through the summer etc but I have to now agree with others that he's not manager material, not yet anyway and not for us, we need and deserve better football.

I still love the guy and won't lower myself to some of the usual comments about him but agree it's time for change but I can't really see it happening any time soon.

Great OP. Calderwood is not fancied because he has a fake tan and looks like Bernie Winters. That apart, he's twenty times the manager Ally will ever be.

BTW the correct saying is, "The proof of the pudding is in the eating". Which means it may look great but if it tastes like shit, it's no use.

Quite apt, I'd say.

So I think there has been some debate in this thread about results vs performance and which is most important or whether the two go hand in hand.

So last night was rather apt in this regard.

Whilst collecting my UEFA C licence last night (which isnt that hard to obtain, clearly) the assessor (Jacques Crevoisier) made a presentation to the coaches in attendance on what he and UEFA have called "The Evolution of the Modern Day Pro Coach".

His presentation included what the key points are with regards to coaching and management these days (focussing on the managers such as SAF, Wenger, Mourinho, Guardiola, del Bosque, Low etc etc etc).

The number 1 driver for managers ? Results. So those who prefer results over performances are correct.... but wait....

The number 2 driver for managers ? To play well.

And he was keen to stress that the two should go hand in hand but with results being slightly more important.

other drivers were :

1. Dealing with the media - being comfortable speaking to the press and being a vocal ambassador of the club (and it isnt as easy as you might think)

2. Dealing with the differing cultures of players

3. Dealing with agents

4. Improving players (this one really got me.... Ally has takent he best players from THREE SPL teams and made them look worse than Division 3 players). The guy made the point about Wenger at Arsenal and it is true, Arsenal may not have won anything in years but some of that can quite comfortably be attributable to them still being a selling team. Nobody could deny that Wenger made RvP, Henry, Bergkamp, Petit, Viera, Flamini, Cole, Fabregas, Nasri better players. He took very good players but made them even better - and sold them at huge profit. Have we honestly seen ANY improvement in ANY players since Ally took over ?? I cant really think of any but am open to suggestions.

5. Creating a Philosphy - footballing

6. Backroom staff - this one was telling for me - the importance of backroom staff cannot be forgotten as they form part of the management team, even the physios.

7. Relationships with other clubs

The whole presentation was excellent and was an insight into how to create a structured management team and even to the point where he had spoken to a club chairman and asked how the selection of a manager was carried out and what characteristics that he would look for in the appointment.

I tell you this, I would take this guy as our manager in a heartbeat. He is a name that very few people know but he has an excellent reputation in Europe and is massively respected by many top players including Anelka, Drogba, Malouda, Henry, Walcott - and that is just a few of them. He has been good friends with Wenger for almost 40 years, we could maybe get some of the Arsenal kids on loan :D

He is back in Bermuda next May and Houllier (who he worked for at Liverpool back in the early 2000's) has agreed to come with him - am already looking forward to it, should be a great learning curve - maybe I should ask Houllier if he fancies a job at Ibrox.....

Edited by craig

Trouble is, of Ally walks who'll replace him? Div 3 football and another 16 months until he can sign a player. We're stuck with Ally!

I disagree, with our resources, training ground and ability to offer a decent wage I think a few good managers would fancy this challenge.

Craig I'm actually struggling to think of any player who has came to us and left a better player, maybe GVB but I thought that was just natural progress and you didn't see the best of him till he got to Arsenal and then Barca.

As I've said before its not just Ally who has to go its the whole way Auchenhowie is run from top to bottom if Green wants a real legacy from his time at Rangers it should be putting in place the right people at Auchenhowie from top to bottom.