Is Ally the Man for the job? - The McCoist Thread

CHARLES GREEN last night gave under-fire Rangers boss Ally McCoist his ‘100 per cent’ support.

Ibrox chief executive Green came out fighting for McCoist in the aftermath of Saturday’s shocking 1-0 defeat at Stirling Albion.

That saw furious fans begin to question legend McCoist’s managerial credentials after a tumultuous 18 months in charge, albeit through administration and liquidation.

Chief Green told SunSport the defeat was UNACCEPTABLE.

But he also emphatically refuted any suggestion that McCoist’s job was on the line, as rumours to the contrary spread like wildfire yesterday.

Green said: “There is NO chance of Ally being sacked. Yes, Saturday’s defeat was an embarrassment. But no one more than Ally knows what happened at Stirling was unacceptable.

“We’ve got to get a lot of things sorted at the club and we’ve never said it was going to be easy.

“We are certainly not going to solve anything by dismissing the manager.

“Remember, the manager wasn’t on the field on Saturday, was he?

“Ally will be the first to accept that he picked the team. That it is his responsibility.

“But no matter the players picked, Rangers should still be able to put out a team to beat ANYONE at this level.”

That wasn’t the case at Forthbank as Brian Allison became a Stirling hero with the only goal.

That left Rangers — who just last month had knocked the then SPL leaders Motherwell out of the League Cup — a miserable third in the Third Division table.

And that stat, coupled with the side’s failure to win an away league game all season, has left fans wondering if a change at the top is needed.

However, Green said: “Listen, all credit to Stirling, their players played fantastic. But everyone at Rangers is hurting at what happened.

“I find it incomprehensible that the same players can win so well against top of the SPL Motherwell and then play like we did at Stirling.

“We’re all frustrated, none more so than Ally — someone who knows exactly the privilege and pleasure it is to pull on a Rangers jersey and do it justice.

“Ally has absolutely my 100 per cent backing.

“I’m currently down south on business and I spoke to him after the game and we’ve arranged to meet in London on Thursday.

“We’ve got a fortnight now until our next game and that gives us all time to take stock, reflect and plan ahead.”

Green — who tomorrow will announce details of a fans share issue — added: “We’ve still got a few battles off the field.

“But no one should doubt our resolve.

“We need stability and unity — and that includes getting behind Ally.

“The fans have been amazing and they certainly didn’t deserve what happened at Stirling.”

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/feeds/smartphone/scotland/4577263/Green-Why-Im-backing-Ally.html#ixzz28fHS3Wka

We've all listened on here about the shocking European defeats to Maribour and Malmo, can't remember the excuses made for those losses...the early league cup exit to Falkirk has been brushed under the carpet with the big bristled excuse brush, the loss to a poor Dundee United side in the Cup at 'fortress Ibrox'...and Ally remained as manager, but why not? He was there in our darkest hour - off the park I should add.

Unacceptable losses to QoS in the mighty Ramsden Cup and Stirling Albion, the worst team in Scottish football look to me anyway like a serious wake-up call.

I only started this thread as a question. Anybody thinking what I'm thinking?

How do you portray Ally?

A) Ally, legend centre-forward who wrote his name in the record books.

B) Ally, legend manager of Rangers FC.

You can't have both.

It's been said already but I'll put it up again: John Greig is the greatest Ranger ever to pull on the jersey....and he got hounded out whilst wearing a Rangers blazer.

John Greig still remains 'Rangers Greatest Ever Player' Ally will always be 'Rangers Greatest Goalscorer'

....wearing the blazer wont change that, but discarding it like John did will help.

Beating Motherwell at Ibrox was a smokescreen, would humiliation against ICT be the final straw?

Is this statement from Green going to make Ally change his decision making and tactical awareness and make him a better manager over night?

It might give us a reaction and we'll go out and win our next away game (Clyde) but would that be papering over cracks.

I wish Ally would call Ray Wilkins in the morning and ask if he'd come up and join him for 6 months.

we are now in a steve kean situation here. a complete shambles from top to bottom. A manager out of his depth, the owners dont want to or cant afford to pay him off and need him to walk. it will be upto ally to walk away. lets hope he does whats best for the club he says he loves and walks away. watch as the crowds dwindle and fans themselves walk away.

Edited by kuznetsov

Ally has absolutely my 100 per cent backing.

That old chestnut.....

Whenever I hear other MD's/CEO's etc coming out with this about their manager, 9 times out of 10 the manager is gone shortly after.

100% backing but called to a meeting in London?

'I’m currently down south on business and I spoke to him after the game and we’ve arranged to meet in London on Thursday.'

That is a strange one, though England and San Marino are at Wembley on Friday night. Perhaps watching some up and coming San Marino prospect !!

Or it could be Arsenal Ladies on Wedensday???

i dont think he can after all that dont do walking away nonsense.

he won't walk away as you say, he won't be sacked by the sounds of it so looks like we're stuck until end of season at least. going to be a longer and harder season that I thought, or should be :sigh: