Is Ally the Man for the job? - The McCoist Thread

We're not just any third division team are we? It's not just about losing, last night we never even tested them apart from maybe a 15 or so minute spell in the first half. You're being incredibly generous to say we matched them until the 2nd goal, apart from that spell I mentioned they were second to every ball, losing pretty much every tackle, throwing possession away and having any attacks easily snuffed out. Did we even have an attempt in the 2nd half? It's all very well saying this and that player are shite in hindsight but other SPL clubs tried to sign them but couldn't match the wages, Perry and Hutton have a good chunk of SPL experience and in Hutton's case a CL game, Hegarty, Macleod, McKay etc are playing for the national teams at their age level and have come through a system aimed at producing top flight players.

Prior to this season Perry had hardly played a competitive match for Rangers, loan spells at League Two (4th division in old money) Oxford Utd and 1st Div Falkirk being his career so far. Hutton likewise has barely played for Rangers, 7 SPL matches most from the bench with loan spells at 1st Div Partick Thistle and relegated Dunfermline. Both are better than Div 3 but they are not SPL class and certainly don't have much experience of that level. The others are teenagers thrown in because needs must. At times they really look the part, but like all young players they make mistakes and drift in and out. I think they all look like they have potential to become very good players but they aren't yet.

Inverness are solid but point is we made them look like a top class CL team majority of the game.

ICT are having a good season, after the second goal the gulf became apparent, it looked like a 3rd division side against an SPL one, which it was.

I do wish people would stop using this comparison, by my own admission i'm a young fan but you only have to look at the stats to see McCoist's goalscoring ability was always there, I know he had to vastly improve his game to win people over and be a long term Rangers player but the talent was obviously within him and hence why he was stuck with. For the comparison to even be slightly relevant there'd have to be something that hints at Ally being a good manager potentially, in 15 months i've seen nothing at all in the way his team's play, his tactics, his signings and his results to encourage me. Using his playing career is clutching at straws. He won't go now, Green has been pretty vocal about it, in the long term I just cannot see him being the man.

Now it is you who is being generous. McCoist's goalscoring ability was most certainly not there for anyone to see in his early years at Ibrox. He looked a poor player in a poor side. He was young though, he had that. Management isn't just about tactical nouse, it's about character too. His playing career demonstrates his character that's why it is relevant. I don't know if he can go on to be a great manager I think it is too early to tell.

Fair enough for you, for me he's not earned that in the way that matters, and that's by results and performances. I'll always have great respect and affection for him after his spell as a player and as an ambassador during the financial troubles, but none of that earns someone the right to be Rangers manager. As for Greig and Wallace, that just shows we made the wrong appointment by going back.

I disagree with promotion being the only aim, we need to aim to win it ideally with style or certainly by a comfortable margin, if we only scrape it by a couple of points or something the huge questions are still there.

With hindsight we made the wrong appointment in Wallace but few felt that was the case at the time. I only mentioned it to caution those clamouring for change, change is no guarantee that things will get better. We may yet win this league comfortably. We sit top despite not playing that well, the novelty of playing against Rangers won't be as strong now, our better fitness and professionalism should start to show in the next few months. I still think we're on course to win this league with a good bit to spare.

the fact they are internationals the fact that ict team is full of very ordinary players.

not aimed at you but people need to consider that ict turnover is 3.4 million. our player wage bill is 7 million.

we should be beating them.

The ICT team is full of SPL quality players, ours isn't. There is a big gap between youth internationals and top flight football. A look at who has been capped at youth level and didn't go on to make much of a career tells you all you need to know.

I think it is unrealistic to expect us to beat 5th in the SPL. Football allows for the unexpected, for the upset, but normally the the best teams win.

As said on another thread, if this is NOT the worst Rangers team ever, then shame on the worse one. Rangers have previously always been in the top division and always with massively more resources than most. If we have ever been as bad as a makeshift team put together in the third division after financial collapse then that's embarrassing for them.

We SHOULD have the worst team of all time right now, some people need to wake up and smell the coffee.

and yet even with our worst team ever, we still have a squad every other club in the country could onyl wish for! dress it up how you like. these players, our club, our manager are all underachieving.

not really. with a different manager those players would be playing better.

they would walk into the ict team. little would be their best player probably.

yet again gs you are spot on. not sure about little though, i think he lacks so much to be a professional footballer.

The ICT team is full of SPL quality players, ours isn't. There is a big gap between youth internationals and top flight football. A look at who has been capped at youth level and didn't go on to make much of a career tells you all you need to know.

I think it is unrealistic to expect us to beat 5th in the SPL. Football allows for the unexpected, for the upset, but normally the the best teams win.

then at very least we are getting horrendous value for money because as I say their turnover is 3.4 million.

The line up against motherwell after the game started was forced on McCoist it was sheer luck, pity he doesn't appear to have learned from that slice of luck.

this is key. mccoist didnt do it right for the motherwell game, a change was forced upon him and he got lucky.