Is Ally the Man for the job? - The McCoist Thread

I never wanted Ally to take over the management from Walter, purely because I felt that he had to serve his apprenticeship elsewhere. Get a proven track record of success and then take over at the most successful club in the World. Unfortunately, it hasn't happened this way and we are paying for Ally's apprenticeship with shocking results. I am additionally concerned in that Ally is a shareholder in the holding company and I know from experience that to try to remove a manager who is also a shareholder is a virtually impossible task. I can only hope that Ally realises the job is too big for him and does the honourable thing. No problem with him having a senior role within the club (possibly PR?), but not within the football side. I will always be grateful for him being the only person defending the club during CW's ''reign'' but please Ally, we need a change in the management structure of the football club.

someone has said fair weather fans,glory hunters well i have been at ibrox since 1955 and this present team and management team is the worst i have ever seen i for one could not find fault with fans who decide to give it a miss and once you start losing fans because of the bad product on the park it is hard to get them back .

Ally has it all wrong. Against Queens Park we played without a right midfielder, and last night without a left midfielder. We leave a static McCulloch up top on his own, and then when we're 2-0 down we swap McCulloch for Kyle, McKay for Shiels, and then McCulloch for Hutton. So basically switch players around without actually making any tactical change. It's absolutely pathetic.

Okay, we don't have the best players in the world right now, and we have had some injuries. But McCoist is showing far too much loyalty to experienced players even when they're not turning it on.

McKay has been our best and most exciting player this year, but has spent the last month or so on the bench.

I'd go back to 4-4-2. I'd play McCulloch at centre half with either Perry or Emilson as we need some strength in there. I don't mind who plays right back as they're all much of the same, but in midfield i'd get rid of Black and play Hutton and McLeod. Let the two of them grow and develop a partnership, and if they have the odd bad game the fans will forgive because of their age - but we can't forgive the dross coming from experienced players.

I'd play two from McKay, Aird and Templeton down the wings, and then Shiels and Little up front with Hemmings and Sandaza challenging when they get back fit.

More pace, more movement, more energy. I've no idea what Ally's watching, but he rarely makes an unenforced tactical change, even though his tactics to start with are poor.

Another moan, but we put on Kyle last night which is fair enough, we were chasing the game, but why leave a 'big lump' whose strength is in the air and knocking balls down on his own with no player within 30 yards of him. What was the point? McCulloch was the same, he's not the best on the ground so the support striker has to get close. But....if we're going to play them the strength is in the air, and last night we had at least 6 free kicks 40 yards out and pushed men up, only to take the free kick short and proceed to lose the ball. We missed at least 6 chances to utilise our strength and put balls in the box.

Yes, that is the players on the pitch, but the management are letting it happen.

At the very least Ally needs to punt his backroom team and get people in to support who are going to tell him some home truths.

Guest Bears R Us
Ally has it all wrong. Against Queens Park we played without a right midfielder, and last night without a left midfielder. We leave a static McCulloch up top on his own, and then when we're 2-0 down we swap McCulloch for Kyle, McKay for Shiels, and then McCulloch for Hutton. So basically switch players around without actually making any tactical change. It's absolutely pathetic.

Okay, we don't have the best players in the world right now, and we have had some injuries. But McCoist is showing far too much loyalty to experienced players even when they're not turning it on.

McKay has been our best and most exciting player this year, but has spent the last month or so on the bench.

I'd go back to 4-4-2. I'd play McCulloch at centre half with either Perry or Emilson as we need some strength in there. I don't mind who plays right back as they're all much of the same, but in midfield i'd get rid of Black and play Hutton and McLeod. Let the two of them grow and develop a partnership, and if they have the odd bad game the fans will forgive because of their age - but we can't forgive the dross coming from experienced players.

I'd play two from McKay, Aird and Templeton down the wings, and then Shiels and Little up front with Hemmings and Sandaza challenging when they get back fit.

More pace, more movement, more energy. I've no idea what Ally's watching, but he rarely makes an unenforced tactical change, even though his tactics to start with are poor.

Another moan, but we put on Kyle last night which is fair enough, we were chasing the game, but why leave a 'big lump' whose strength is in the air and knocking balls down on his own with no player within 30 yards of him. What was the point? McCulloch was the same, he's not the best on the ground so the support striker has to get close. But....if we're going to play them the strength is in the air, and last night we had at least 6 free kicks 40 yards out and pushed men up, only to take the free kick short and proceed to lose the ball. We missed at least 6 chances to utilise our strength and put balls in the box.

Yes, that is the players on the pitch, but the management are letting it happen.

At the very least Ally needs to punt his backroom team and get people in to support who are going to tell him some home truths.

I agree with many of the points you make here. It does seem as if Ally wants to play certain players in any position, rather than not play them. I thought Hutton was our best midfielder last night but still got hooked before Black, who once again was not great.

The only way the back room staff will leave will be IF at some point Ally walks, and I do not think that will happen any time soon. I would love Ally to turn things round and become a good manager, but as time goes by I am losing hope of that ever happening.

Does anyone want Ally to continue as manager?

Yes, I do.

I think there is a massive over-reaction currently, months and months of frustration are boiling over. Our pride was hurt last night but realistically we're a third division team currently and we were matching ICT (who are 5th in the SPL) until the 2nd goal. People point at our players as being of SPL class; maybe. Wallace, Alexander, McCulloch and Sheils are. I don't think Little is, he's better than Div 3 but I'm not convinced he's SPL standard, Black should be but hasn't looked it anytime I've seen him, I thought he was nothing but a clogger last season and my view hasn't changed much since. The rest simply aren't, not yet anyway. Perry, Cribari, Hegarty, Macleod and Hutton are not of that level, a couple of them might reach that level in the coming seasons as they develop but I don't think Hutton and Perry ever will. They are both good enough for Div 3 and probably Div 2 though.

Inverness are a solid SPL side. They watched what happened to Motherwell in the last round and learned from it. We played well in patches last night, we created chances, but we defended badly. Our defence simply isn't good enough for that standard of football.

As for Ally I think change now would be a knee-jerk reaction. Throughout his career McCoist has shown an ability to learn, to improve, to know what he needed to do to make himself better. We forget that at one point in his career the thought that McCoist would become our finest ever striker, an icon of Scottish football and arguably the greatest ever Ranger was so laughable as to be absurd. But he did, he has an inner steel and self analysis and the rare ability to learn from his mistakes.

For me Ally has earned my loyalty, my trust and my support. A change of manager is no guarantee of anything. When John Grieg left Rangers his replacement was one of the best managers of the day, a man with an wonderful track record, experience and respect. He failed. Our goal this season is the league and promotion, anything else is a bonus, I believe Ally and his team can achieve that. Take stock then.

Yes, I do.

I think there is a massive over-reaction currently, months and months of frustration are boiling over. Our pride was hurt last night but realistically we're a third division team currently and we were matching ICT (who are 5th in the SPL) until the 2nd goal. People point at our players as being of SPL class; maybe. Wallace, Alexander, McCulloch and Sheils are. I don't think Little is, he's better than Div 3 but I'm not convinced he's SPL standard, Black should be but hasn't looked it anytime I've seen him, I thought he was nothing but a clogger last season and my view hasn't changed much since. The rest simply aren't, not yet anyway. Perry, Cribari, Hegarty, Macleod and Hutton are not of that level, a couple of them might reach that level in the coming seasons as they develop but I don't think Hutton and Perry ever will. They are both good enough for Div 3 and probably Div 2 though.

Inverness are a solid SPL side. They watched what happened to Motherwell in the last round and learned from it. We played well in patches last night, we created chances, but we defended badly. Our defence simply isn't good enough for that standard of football.

As for Ally I think change now would be a knee-jerk reaction. Throughout his career McCoist has shown an ability to learn, to improve, to know what he needed to do to make himself better. We forget that at one point in his career the thought that McCoist would become our finest ever striker, an icon of Scottish football and arguably the greatest ever Ranger was so laughable as to be absurd. But he did, he has an inner steel and self analysis and the rare ability to learn from his mistakes.

For me Ally has earned my loyalty, my trust and my support. A change of manager is no guarantee of anything. When John Grieg left Rangers his replacement was one of the best managers of the day, a man with an wonderful track record, experience and respect. He failed. Our goal this season is the league and promotion, anything else is a bonus, I believe Ally and his team can achieve that. Take stock then.

most if not all of the players you list as not SPL players would walk into the ict team.

As for Ally I think change now would be a knee-jerk reaction. Throughout his career McCoist has shown an ability to learn, to improve, to know what he needed to do to make himself better.

ICT watched the Motherwell game & adapted accordingly.....McCoist watched the Motherwell game & tried nothing different.

He doesn't appear to be learning or adapting at all.....

most if not all of the players you list as not SPL players would walk into the ict team.

Really? After last night? I doubt you can have it both ways but is indicative of the funny logic being used so much these days.